- CA SQPL 11-061
221 Resource results for Pioneers
221 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
- CA SQPL 06-064
Charlie and Elvira Schoonover pictured in front of their home in the upper valley, across from the power station.
417477 Government Road
This lovely log house was built by Charles Schoonover in 1932. Having worked as a hunter, trapper, and logger further up in the valley for nearly 30 years, Schoonover settled his family here in a house that reflected the beauty of the forests he loved.
Original use: Private residence.
Current use: Private residence.
Current condition: Very well maintained.
- CA SQPL 22-012
Left to right: Marlo Sandhoff, Jimmie Rae, Robert Stewart (Bert) Rae.
Hop farming was Squamish's first major industry. The major producer was Squamish Valley Hop Raising Co. (Bell-Irving Ranch). Hops are perennials and grown about 6 feet apart. They are picked during September and August. Hops are dried and bleached with sulphur in a kiln. In Squamish, Chinese labour was brought in to tend the hops, and they were picked by local First Nations. They would camp in the area now between Petro Canada gas station and the Cottonwood condominiums. The hops in Squamish were top grade. They were shipped to Vancouver in bales wrapped in Burlap, then shipped to Britain where they were used to make beer.
1890 - Hops first grown by E.B. Madill.
1891, February - Group from Puyallup Valley (near Tacoma) examined Squamish as potential hop growing area. The Squamish Valley Hop Raising Company was formed by Vancouver businessmen. Dr Bell-Irving (great uncle of previous Lieutenant Governor) was owner of the company. President was William Shannon and Secretary was T.T. Black; and Directors: Dr Bell-Irving, W.E. Green, George Magee, E.L. Phillips.
1892 - The Squamish Valley Hop Raising Company leased land from E.B. Madill. 1.5 acres of hop vine nursery stock was planted. In addition, 260 acres were purchased, 20 acres of which were cleared. Ranch was in the present location of Eagle Run extending from Heidenriech's house to Judd Road to Horse Creek. Frank H. Potter, a hop rancher from Puyallup, became a manager. No hops grown but frame house and out-buildings built for Potter.
1893, Fall - 5 acres hops grown on Madill's leased property. No hops grown on Squamish Valley Hop Company's own land. 40 acres cleared but planted potatoes, oats, and hat. W. Shannon still president of the company. Chas. McLaughlin, secretary.
1894 - Fred Clayton Thorne replaced Frank Potter as manager of Squamish Valley Hop Company. Hop industry began to thrive. Allen Rae, E.B. Madill, George Magee, and Tom Reid grew hops.
1897 - D.H. Tweedie was manager of Madill's hop ranch.
1898 - Charles Rose was manager of Squamish Valley Hop Company (Bell-Irving ranch). Wife, Alice, was ranch cook.
1906, March - 28 acres of hops planted at Bell-Irving ranch.
1914 - With beginning if war, hop prices fell. Hop ranches were shut down. The Squamish Valley Hop Company was owned by Dr Bell Irving and Mr Murry (manager of Bank of Commerce in Vancouver) owned ranch at that time. Fred Thorne took over Squamish Valley Hope Company ranch and started raising short horn cattle.
1917 - Hop industry had died in Squamish.
~1931 - George Carson was running his brother Robert (Bob) Carson's hop ranch when it burned down.
1944 - Roderick Mackenzie owned old Squamish Hop Co. ranch. Referred to as the mackenzie Ranch or the Pig or Hog Ranch. Since he produced hops for export to help the war effort, it received those names.
- CA SQPL 33-007
Part of Magee Photograph Collection
Research compiled by Eric Andersen: Logging manager's daughter Lottie Fulk on hourseback riding with Cliffe Thorne, son of Squamish Valley Hop Raising Co. manager Fred Thorne, ca 1907. Lottie Fulk's father was Owen Fulk of Skagit County (WA) who was hired by the manager of E.K. Wood Lumber Co. to supervise Squamish River logging operations. During the five years Fulk was in Squamish, he was the valley's preeminent man of business.
- CA SQPL 11-053
Left to right: Ella Clemeny (teacher), Minerva Rae, Ella Fulk
Research compiled by Eric Andersen: Schoolteacher Ella Clements, Minnie Rae, and Mrs Lola Fulk, 1907. Minnie Rae's 1907 diary refers to the Fulks, the upper valley camps, and Owen Fulk's business trips into town by steamship. Owen Fulk of Skagit County (WA) was hired by E.K. Wood Lumber Co. to supervise the Squamish River logging operations. During the five years or so Fulk was at Squamish, he was the valley's preeminent man of business.
- CA SQPL 06-029
Firefighters at the "halfway" between Upper Squamish and Cheekye. Paid $0.25 / hour.
Seated far left, Mr Morbray (fire warden); seated left with white hat, Oswald (Ozzie) Ray; far right seated on bench, Charles Sherman Schoonover; seated next to him, Paul Sellons; standing far right, Compton Reade.
- CA SQPL 22-026