Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Pat was the first child born in Woodfibre on August 29, 1918. Pat's father Edward was manager of the mill for Whalen Pulp and Paper Co. He was one of 9 children, the others being: Edward, Jane, Alice, Ruth, Bob, Kirk, Billie, and Colleen.
Pat worked during the boom in Woodfibre and logged at Alta Lake, Powell River, and Lac La Hache. From 1939 to 1945, he served in the U.S. Navy in the Second World War.
In 1946 he returned to Squamish and in July 1949 he married Tess Martin in St Joseph's Church. Father Gallo conducted the ceremony. They lived at the end of Judd Road on land that the Judds originally pre-empted.
In 1951, Pat and his partner John Drenka incorporated Squamish Mills Co. He also spear-headed the fight against Empire Mills' Tree Farm License. In 1956 he became the president of Squamish Mills.
In the 1960's Pat Brennan acquired a 56 acre site where Overwaitea, the medical clinic, and senior citizens home now stands as development land for Squamish.
Brennan died at age 60. He was survived by his wife Tess and children John Patrick, Kathleen Anne, Susan Alice, and Elizabeth Jane. Izzy Boscariol acted as mayor until the elections in November.
Brennan Park was dedicated on May 6, 1979.
In 1980, a public safety building was built. Its creation was largely due to Mayor Brennan.
Functions, occupations and activities
Pat Brennan built a racetrack, Smokey Downs, on which he trained horses. Later Brennan became President of the Standardbreds Association. He raced his horses in harness races in Cloverdale Park and Patterson Park in Ladner. At Patterson Park he set a record of 2:03.12 minutes with Lindy Tass. He trained the first horse to finish the mile course in two minutes in California.
In 1960 to 1961 he was the Councellor of Squamish Village Council. Then in 1962 to 1964 he was the Chairman, during which time he advocated for incorporation. The city was incorporated as a municipality in 1965.
On January 7 1965, he was appointed Reeve of interim council and elected first Reeve of the municipality of Squamish on April 3, 1965 until 1968.
Pat Brennan was mayor of Squamish from 1969 to 1974 (the title mayor replaced reeve for municipalities). He was responsible for the completion of the Squamish sewer system in 1971. In November 1972, the Squamish Terminals, a port advocated by Brennan opened.
In 1974, Brennan was elected the first PNE chief. In 1975, he was re-elected. He retired from this position in October 1976 and was replaced by Vancouver City Alderman, Ed Sweeny.
On February 23, 1975 the new municipal hall was officially opened and he was awarded with the Squamish Times Good Citizen Award. He became the first freeman of the municipality of Squamish after the opening ceremony.
Pat Brennan was the mayor of Squamish from 1977 to February 1979 and promoted Squamish as a grain port to Pallisar Wheat Growers. When Rail West closed in 1978, Brennan went to Ottawa to seek orders for rail cars.