Showing 61 results

Resource
Squamish Valley Museum (Brightbill House) Photograph Collection With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Norton-McKinnon Logging Company

Four loggers unknown.

In 1911, McKinnon and Norton of the Newport Timber Company were logging in Squamish in the area known as the base camp road, near Curly Lews' place. They had donkeys, a large shay engine, and a weird whistle. Mr McKinnon was a bartender and Mr Norton was a logger. Amedy Levesque and George Laviolette worked as brakemen on the locomotive. The camp was run by Mr Fuller.

Street scene, Newport BC

Squamish's name was changed to Newport in 1911 by the H.S. and P.V.N. Railway and was changed back on September 14, 1914 as the result of a contest for school children. The name had to be changed since there was another town in BC named Newport. The twelve final names considered in the contest were: Newport, Strathacona, Prince Arthur, Kingsport, Great Haven, Columbia, Imperial, Squamish, Pacificgate, Bonaventure, and Viveleroi. Squamish is named for the Indian word "Squohomish" (various spellings) meaning "strong wind".

King George Hotel

Would become Squamish Hotel and then later the Ocean Port Hotel (37991 Second Avenue).

Although the original building has been altered nearly beyond recognition, the basic structure of the Squamish Hotel was constructed in 1910 as the King George Hotel by W.A. Holland. Like the Brackendale Store, the Squamish Hotel is a building which may hold heritage value to the community not for its present appearance, but for its prominence as a landmark and reference point in the local landscape for over 75 years.

Original use: Hotel, pub.
Current use: Hotel, pub, restaurant, Cold Beer and Wine Store.
Current condition: Nearly unrecognizable from the original form.

Results 1 to 25 of 61