Showing 3 results

Resource
Garibaldi Industry
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

3 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Squamish Advance: Thursday, January 31, 1952

FAMOUS SKI SLOPES IN GARBALDI PARK
[PHOTO]

HOSPITAL READY TO OPEN IN EARLY APRIL

BEEF PRICES DROP

LEARNING BASIC STEPS OF SKIING

DIAMOND HEAD MAKES BIG MAG

RADIO SHOP HOLDS ANNUAL SALE

SEAL SALE WELL OVER THE TOP

BRACKENDALE

LOGGING LAGGING

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

WHAT NEXT?

BISHOP CONDUCTS ANGLICAN SERVICE

SCHOOL BROADCASTS --- A CBC FEATURE
[PHOTO]

THE SUNSHINE SOCIETY
[PHOTO]

LOCAL ROADS IN BAD SHAPE

TENDERS FOR DREDGING

OTHELLO
[PHOTO]

DREDGING TENDERS CALLED

THE WESTERN FIVE - HEARD OVER THE CBC
[PHOTO]

Squamish Advance

Evelyn Lamport on Merrill & Ring railroad trestle

Evelyn Lamport on Merrill & Ring railroad trestle (present site is just north of Ayr Drive in Garibaldi Highlands). Built along the face of rock bluffs. Photo taken ~1928 on the way to Alice Lake.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

Newport Timber Co.

Newton Timber Co. (Norton & McKinnon Logging) in 1911, Garibaldi Highlands.

In 1911, McKinnon and Norton of the Newport Timber Company were logging in Squamish in the area known as the base camp road, near Curly Lews' place. They had donkeys, a large shay engine, and a weird whistle. Mr McKinnon was a bartender and Mr Norton was a logger. Amedy Levesque and George Laviolette worked as brakemen on the locomotive. The camp was run by Mr Fuller.