Showing 12 results

Resource
Downtown Squamish Industry
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

12 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Booming logs in Newport, 1904

Booming logs in Newport, BC (Squamish, 1904).

Squamish's name was changed to Newport in 1911 by the H.S. and P.V.N. Railway and was changed back on September 14, 1914 as the result of a contest for school children. The name had to be changed since there was another town in BC named Newport. The twelve final names considered in the contest were: Newport, Strathacona, Prince Arthur, Kingsport, Great Haven, Columbia, Imperial, Squamish, Pacificgate, Bonaventure, and Viveleroi. Squamish is named for the Indian word "Squohomish" (various spellings) meaning "strong wind".

Cleveland Avenue

Left to right: Stan Clarke's first gas station, harding's barbershop (Stan Harding lived above), PGE Houses, fire hall (with smoke stack), post office.

Cleveland Avenue, Squamish's main street is named after E.A. Cleveland, the BC land surveyor who drew up the plan of the subdivision of Squamish in 1912. All subsequent surveys have been based on this.