Showing 18 resultsResource
18 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
- CA SQPL 22-012
Left to right: Marlo Sandhoff, Jimmie Rae, Robert Stewart (Bert) Rae.
Hop farming was Squamish's first major industry. The major producer was Squamish Valley Hop Raising Co. (Bell-Irving Ranch). Hops are perennials and grown about 6 feet apart. They are picked during September and August. Hops are dried and bleached with sulphur in a kiln. In Squamish, Chinese labour was brought in to tend the hops, and they were picked by local First Nations. They would camp in the area now between Petro Canada gas station and the Cottonwood condominiums. The hops in Squamish were top grade. They were shipped to Vancouver in bales wrapped in Burlap, then shipped to Britain where they were used to make beer.
1890 - Hops first grown by E.B. Madill.
1891, February - Group from Puyallup Valley (near Tacoma) examined Squamish as potential hop growing area. The Squamish Valley Hop Raising Company was formed by Vancouver businessmen. Dr Bell-Irving (great uncle of previous Lieutenant Governor) was owner of the company. President was William Shannon and Secretary was T.T. Black; and Directors: Dr Bell-Irving, W.E. Green, George Magee, E.L. Phillips.
1892 - The Squamish Valley Hop Raising Company leased land from E.B. Madill. 1.5 acres of hop vine nursery stock was planted. In addition, 260 acres were purchased, 20 acres of which were cleared. Ranch was in the present location of Eagle Run extending from Heidenriech's house to Judd Road to Horse Creek. Frank H. Potter, a hop rancher from Puyallup, became a manager. No hops grown but frame house and out-buildings built for Potter.
1893, Fall - 5 acres hops grown on Madill's leased property. No hops grown on Squamish Valley Hop Company's own land. 40 acres cleared but planted potatoes, oats, and hat. W. Shannon still president of the company. Chas. McLaughlin, secretary.
1894 - Fred Clayton Thorne replaced Frank Potter as manager of Squamish Valley Hop Company. Hop industry began to thrive. Allen Rae, E.B. Madill, George Magee, and Tom Reid grew hops.
1897 - D.H. Tweedie was manager of Madill's hop ranch.
1898 - Charles Rose was manager of Squamish Valley Hop Company (Bell-Irving ranch). Wife, Alice, was ranch cook.
1906, March - 28 acres of hops planted at Bell-Irving ranch.
1914 - With beginning if war, hop prices fell. Hop ranches were shut down. The Squamish Valley Hop Company was owned by Dr Bell Irving and Mr Murry (manager of Bank of Commerce in Vancouver) owned ranch at that time. Fred Thorne took over Squamish Valley Hope Company ranch and started raising short horn cattle.
1917 - Hop industry had died in Squamish.
~1931 - George Carson was running his brother Robert (Bob) Carson's hop ranch when it burned down.
1944 - Roderick Mackenzie owned old Squamish Hop Co. ranch. Referred to as the mackenzie Ranch or the Pig or Hog Ranch. Since he produced hops for export to help the war effort, it received those names.
- CA SQPL 22-026
- CA SQPL 22-033
Left to right, back row: ?, Charlie McKinnon, Fred Downer, ?, Wilfred Rae, ?, Earl Parkest, Lance Bracken (architect who designed hotel).
Front row: Mr Hickey, Bert Rae, Albert Edwards, ?, Bob Hutchinson, Charlie Clerk, Hughie Mills, Al Armstrong, Chief Long George, Fred Thorne, Tom Brett, Bill Mallett, Mr Blodgett.
Those thought to be in the picture although position unknown: Cliff Thorne, Bert Perkins, Harry Judd, Jack Edwards, Wilbie Judd, Fred Magee, John Bracken, Jack Habricht, Charlie Fairman, Jack Greer, Ralph Brereton.
Chief Long George, who lived around the turn of the century, always won top prize at John Bracken's turkey shoots.
- CA SQPL 22-002
Judd home built in 1916. Still standing on Judd Road in Brackendale.
Although not the oldest structure in Squamish, the Judd Home (1199 Judd Road) is regarded by many to be one of the District's primary heritage resources, providing an important anchor in reconstructing the early history and development of Brackendale and Squamish. It is in association with the Judd Home that many other local heritage sites are best interpreted. Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.
Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.
The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.
Although not a "grand" structure, the Judd Home is nonetheless an attractive example of the functional charm of Western farm homes of the early part of the century. Perhaps more importantly, the Judd home and the lovely surrounding property on which it stands are a reminder of the farming history of Brackendale, and the industriousness of the earliest settlers in Squamish.
Original use: Private residential / farmhouse.
Current use: Private residential.
Current condition: Although some renovation has occurred, the Judd Home maintains most of its original form. Some restoration would be required to bring it back to its original condition. The large property on which it stands is beautifully landscaped and private, allowing a setting which adds to the character of the house.
- CA SQPL 22-034