Print preview Close

Showing 633 results

Resource
Roads and Buildings With digital objects
Print preview View:

Motorcade arrives Squamish 2/2

Cartoon by Ken Barbour, 2 of 2.

Caption accompanying two cartoons:
... many years ago when the white men first came to the Squamish Valley they stole all the land from the Indians... the Chief put a curse on the white men and said that one day after the greedy white men had logged all the timber and fished all the streams a great new white leader would rise and build a great new trail and return the land to its rightful owners......

Ellen Harley and Freda Clarke

Ellen Harley (left) and Freda Clarke (right) in Squamish United Church.

This church (38014 Fourth Avenue) was built for the Presbyterian community in 1921. After several years of services held in the Anglican Church, the Presbyterian community raised this second church in Squamish.

Original use: Church.
Current use: Church.
Current condition: Well maintained, still in use as a church.

Brackendale Store on Government Road

The main structure of the Brackendale Store was built in 1916 by Hughie Mills to replace John Jackson's old store which burnt down the year before when a fire started in the upstairs pool hall. The site was originally bought from the Judd family as Lot 6 of their subdivision. During the new store's first year, the upstairs served as a temporary home to the Judd family after their own house burnt down.

Although the appearance of the original store is difficult to see in the store's present form, the basic structure is still apparent when viewed from the back. Regardless of any alterations which have occurred, the Brackendale Store retains heritage value tot he community as a long standing local landmark which has continuously provided service to the community since its early days.

Original use: Store, post office.
Current: Store, post office, restaurant.
Current condition: The store has been seriously altered from its original form.

Results 1 to 25 of 633