Showing 9 resultsResource
9 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
- CA SQPL 38-008
The church purchased two lots behind the building in 1962 to construct additions to meet the need of more room for their growing number of children in Sunday School.
This church (38014 Fourth Avenue) was built for the Presbyterian community in 1921. After several years of services held in the Anglican Church, the Presbyterian community raised this second church in Squamish.
Original use: Church.
Current use: Church.
Current condition: Well maintained, still in use as a church.
- CA SQPL 38-015
Aleeta Smith (left) and Tess Martin. PGE Hall in background (1984 location of Hudson House).
38033 Second Avenue
The PGE Hall was built in the 1930's as a local community hall. Built by railway and community volunteers, the PGE Hall was once the site of basketball games, dances, and other gala community events. It later became the Hudson House, and then an empty lot.
Original Use: Community Hall.
1993 use: Rooming House (Hudson House).
1993 condition: Retained original form without significant alteration. Location among newer buildings left the Hall looking somewhat run down.
- CA SQPL 38-009
The main structure of the Brackendale Store was built in 1916 by Hughie Mills to replace John Jackson's old store which burnt down the year before when a fire started in the upstairs pool hall. The site was originally bought from the Judd family as Lot 6 of their subdivision. During the new store's first year, the upstairs served as a temporary home to the Judd family after their own house burnt down.
Although the appearance of the original store is difficult to see in the store's present form, the basic structure is still apparent when viewed from the back. Regardless of any alterations which have occurred, the Brackendale Store retains heritage value tot he community as a long standing local landmark which has continuously provided service to the community since its early days.