Showing 83 results

Resource
Downtown Squamish Roads and Buildings
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

83 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

The Harry Billbright home

The Harry Billbright home when it was first built. It was located on 2nd Avenue in the current location of the Credit Union then moved to Stan Clarke Park and used as a Museum.

It was built in 1933 for Harry "Brownie" Brightbill, railway engineer on the "Fisherman's Special" from Squamish to Lillooet. It was constructed by Herb Dawson. The house was purchased by the District during the Mayorship of Pat Brennan. Cause for considerable disagreement in the community at the time, it may be argued that the controversy surrounding that decision has only added to any heritage value the building already had.

In June 2000, the Brightbill house was moved to the West Coast Railway Heritage Park and was one of the first exhibits to open in the new Town Square community area.

Condition: It was well maintained the Squamish Museum where it was housed was closed. There were problems with vandalism.

Original use: Residential home.

Cleveland Avenue

Left to right: Stan Clarke's first gas station, harding's barbershop (Stan Harding lived above), PGE Houses, fire hall (with smoke stack), post office.

Cleveland Avenue, Squamish's main street is named after E.A. Cleveland, the BC land surveyor who drew up the plan of the subdivision of Squamish in 1912. All subsequent surveys have been based on this.

The old PGE Hall on Second Avenue

The old PGE Hall on Second Avenue which later became the Hudson House. The grass and trees in the foreground are now parked lots.
Photo by: Mrs Sullivan.

38033 Second Avenue
Now an empty lot, this building was previously the Hudson House and the PGE Hall. It was built as the PGE Hall in the 1930's as a local community hall. Built by railway and community volunteers, the PGE Hall was once the site of basketball games, dances, and other gala community events.

Original Use: Community Hall.
1993 use: Rooming House (Hudson House).
1993 condition: Retained original form without significant alteration. Location among newer buildings left the Hall looking somewhat run down.

Cleveland Avenue - February 1914

Cleveland Avenue in February 1914. Newpart Hotel on the far left. Construction of MacKenzies far left. Sloughs were filled in by Harry Barnfield, Scott MacDonald, and Lawson Rae in 1926 or 1927.

Results 1 to 25 of 83