Showing 42 results

Resource
Brackendale Roads and Buildings
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

42 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

The Brackendale Store, 1963

The main structure of the Brackendale Store was built in 1916 by Hughie Mills to replace John Jackson's old store which burnt down the year before when a fire started in the upstairs pool hall. The site was originally bought from the Judd family as Lot 6 of their subdivision. During the new store's first year, the upstairs served as a temporary home to the Judd family after their own house burnt down.

Although the appearance of the original store is difficult to see in the store's present form, the basic structure is still apparent when viewed from the back. Regardless of any alterations which have occurred, the Brackendale Store retains heritage value tot he community as a long standing local landmark which has continuously provided service to the community since its early days.

Squamish Hop Company buildings

The hop fields and buildings of the Squamish Valley Hops Raising Co. ranch in Brackendale, across the road from the Seaichem Indian Reserve, were landmarks for valley travellers.

Hop farming was Squamish's first major industry. The major producer was Squamish Valley Hop Raising Co. (Bell-Irving Ranch). Hops are perennials and grown about 6 feet apart. They are picked during September and August. Hops are dried and bleached with sulphur in a kiln. In Squamish, Chinese labour was brought in to tend the hops. Local First Nations picked them. They would camp in the area now between Petro Canada gas station and the Cottonwood condominiums. The hops in Squamish were top grade. They were shipped to Vancouver in bales wrapped in Burlap, then shipped to Britain where they were used to make beer.

Timeline
1890 - Hops first grown by E.B. Madill.
1891, February - Group from Puyallup Valley (near Tacoma) examined Squamish as potential hop growing area. The Squamish Valley Hop Raising Company was formed by Vancouver businessmen. Dr Bell-Irving (great uncle of previous Lieutenant Governor) was owner of the company. President was William Shannon and Secretary was T.T. Black; and Directors: Dr Bell-Irving, W.E. Green, George Magee, E.L. Phillips.
1892 - The Squamish Valley Hop Raising Company leased land from E.B. Madill. 1.5 acres of hop vine nursery stock was planted. In addition, 260 acres were purchased, 20 acres of which were cleared. Ranch was in the present location of Eagle Run extending from Heidenriech's house to Judd Road to Horse Creek. Frank H. Potter, a hop rancher from Puyallup, became a manager. No hops grown but frame house and out-buildings built for Potter.
1893, Fall - 5 acres hops grown on Madill's leased property. No hops grown on Squamish Valley Hop Company's own land. 40 acres cleared but planted potatoes, oats, and hat. W. Shannon still president of the company. Chas. McLaughlin, secretary.
1894 - Fred Clayton Thorne replaced Frank Potter as manager of Squamish Valley Hop Company. Hop industry began to thrive. Allen Rae, E.B. Madill, George Magee, and Tom Reid grew hops.
1897 - D.H. Tweedie was manager of Madill's hop ranch.
1898 - Charles Rose was manager of Squamish Valley Hop Company (Bell-Irving ranch). Wife, Alice, was ranch cook.
1906, March - 28 acres of hops planted at Bell-Irving ranch.
1914 - With beginning if war, hop prices fell. Hop ranches were shut down. The Squamish Valley Hop Company was owned by Dr Bell Irving and Mr Murry (manager of Bank of Commerce in Vancouver) owned ranch at that time. Fred Thorne took over Squamish Valley Hope Company ranch and started raising short horn cattle.
1917 - Hop industry had died in Squamish.
~1931 - George Carson was running his brother Robert (Bob) Carson's hop ranch when it burned down.
1944 - Roderick Mackenzie owned old Squamish Hop Co. ranch. Referred to as the mackenzie Ranch or the Pig or Hog Ranch. Since he produced hops for export to help the war effort, it received those names.

Squamish Advance: Thursday, May 15, 1952

STRAITH OPENS NEW SCHOOL

COUNTRY FAIR IS VERY SUCCESSFUL

MAY 24TH PLANS WELL UNDER WAY

COMMUNICATIONS

PTA MEETING

ROSS CHAPMAN NEW CHAMP

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

COMMUNICATION

GORDON DOWDING IS CCF CANDIDATE

TRUCKS DELAYED

NAVIGABLE WATERS PROTECTION ACT
R.S.C. 1927 CHAPTER 140

NEW STORE TO OPEN

BRACKENDALE

REMEMBER?

Squamish Advance

Squamish Advance: Thursday, March 27, 1952

SQUAMISH ROAD SHELVED AGAIN

IMPROVEMENTS TO ROAD AND LANES

'51'S GOOD CITIZEN?

CANCER CAMPAIGN

APRIL CONCERT

THE CRADLE

H.S. JOURNALISM CLUB TOURS CITY

MORE SUGAR FOR HOSPITAL FUND

CARSON TO SPEAK

J.A. MEMBERS TO RECEIVE AWARDS

WESTMINSTER ELKS VISIT SQUAMISH

MORE WORK ON LEGION HALL

BUILD PARKING PLACE

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

SNOWMOBILE GETS NEW DIFFERENTIAL

SCOUTS RECEIVE THEIR ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

WOODFIBRE WINS BADMINTON CUP

BRACKENDALE

VILLAGE OF SQUAMISH

NEW BUS WILL ARRIVE THIS WEEK

SUMMER SCENE AT DIAMOND HEAD IN GARIBALDI PARK

Squamish Advance

Squamish Advance: Thursday, March 13, 1952

LOGGING NOW IN FULL SWING HERE

BASKETBALL GAMES WON BY LOCAL TEAMS

TRADE BOARD DISCUSSES SITE OF NEW DYKE

HOSPITAL BOARD CHOSEN HERE

FALLER INJURED IN LOGGING ACCIDENT

PROGRAM DIRECTOR
[PHOTO]

HOSPITAL TO PROFIT FROM STORE'S SALES

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 48 (HOWE SOUND)
BALANCE SHEET
AS AT DECEMBER 31, 1981

CHALET PREPARES FOR EASTER SEASON

[PHOTO]
THE DIAMOND HEAD SNOWMOBILE

BRACKENDALE

THE CRADLE

LOGGING COMPANY BUYS NEW MACHINE

PUBLIC NOTICE

INSTITUTE PLANS TO COLLECT WOOLENS

IN MEMORIAM

BADMINTON NOTES

CLASSIFIED ADS

MEN WANTED

1 WORKING FOREMAN
2 LABORERS

[PHOTO]
SOLWAY QUARTET - HEARD OVER THE CBC

BEARD GROWING CONTEST NOW OPEN

ROAD AND GUN CLUB IN ANNUAL MEETING

FIRST BABY WILL RECEIVE MANY GIFTS

Squamish Advance

Squamish Advance: Thursday, January 24, 1952

LIBERAL LEADER
[PHOTO]
PREMIER BYRON JOHNSON

BRACKENDALE

HARVEY HURREN IS LEGION PRESIDENT

MAY TRY TO CARRY ON B.C. COALITION GOVERNMENT SPLITS

STORM CUTS LONG DISTANCE SERVICE

OPPOSITION LEADER
[PHOTO]
HERBERT ANSCOMB

NEW PGE LINK READY IN JUNE

TRADE BOARD TO HOLD BANQUET

SCHOOL BUS HAS DIFFICULT TRIP

TO OPEN CBU
[PHOTO]

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

LADIES AID ELECTS OFFICERS

CANCER SOCIETY OFFICIALS NAMED

CBC NEWS ROUND-UP EDITOR
[PHOTO]

FRESH SNOWFALL BLANKETS DISTRICT

SCHOOL BOARD HOLDS ANNUAL MEETING

BOXING ENTHUSIASTS TO MEET

CLASSIFIED ADS

CANADIAN DOLLAR OVERTAKES U.S. IN EXCHANGE

BIRTHDAY PARTY

ANITA GORDON
[PHOTO]

AROUND TOWN

Squamish Advance

Squamish Advance: Thursday, January 17, 1952

W. A. STEWART IS NAMED PREXY BOARD OF TRADE

STORMY WEATHER HITS DISTRICT

SNOWMOBILE CAUSES STIR

GOOD SEAL SALE

ST. JOHN'S W.A. ELECTS OFFICERS

PLANNING SPRING BUILDING PROGRAM

FOREMAN HEADS LOCAL SKI CLUB

PRIME MINISTER
[PHOTO]
L. S. ST. LAURENT

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

SINCLAIR TO VISIT SQUAMISH SOON

JUNIOR SKI CLUB IS FORMED HERE

BRACKENDALE

PTA MEETING

STAFF SELECTED FOR SCHOOL ANNUAL

PEGGI BROWN --- RADIO ACTRESS
[PHOTO]

NEW CBC TRANSMITTER
[PHOTO]

CARD OF THANKS

LOCAL RESIDENT IS LAID AT REST

WELL BABY CLINIC OPENS TOMORROW

CLASSIFIED ADS

STORM HAMPERS MERCY FLIGHT

[PHOTO]
ERIC CHRISTMAS, HEARD OVER CBC

Squamish Advance

Squamish Advance: Thursday, January 10, 1952

ILL CHILD RUSHED TO CITY HOSPITAL

BRACKENDALE

BUILDING MATERIAL FOR LEGION ARRIVES

SCHOOL INSTALLS SOMETHING NEW

WIND HAMPERS UTILITIES HERE

CHALET SNOWMOBILE ARRIVED TODAY

FAVORS CAPILANO HIGHWAY ROUTE

SQUAMISH IS BACK IN BANANA BELT

ROADS VERY DANGEROUS

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

HOWARD MANNING
[PHOTO]

CLASSIFIED ADS

LOGGING COMPANIES RESUMING WORK

ANSCOMB HINTS CONDITION WILL SOON END

INDEPENDENT GROCERS

CLEARANCE SALE STARTS SATURDAY

LEICESTER SQUARE'S HARMONY QUARTET
[PHOTO]

NEW CBC HEADQUARTERS
[PHOTO]

Squamish Advance

Squamish Advance: Thursday, April 10, 1952

WANT VEHICLES TESTED ON SPOT

EASTER SERVICES IN LOCAL CHURCHES

NO BAD INJURIES IN COLLISION

NEW BUS SERVICE BEACH-TOWNSITE

CONSERVATIVES TO MEET NEXT WEEK

DRAINAGE PLAN IS UNDER WAY

BRACKENDALE TOT SEVERELY BURNED

TAX CHANGES ANNOUNCED

COIN COLLECTORS DO VERY WELL

LIBERALS TO NOMINATE CANDIDATES HERE

MODERN VERSE -- POLITCAL STYLE

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

THE CRADLE

EASTER HOLIDAYS START TOMORROW

CHILDREN TO HOLD VARIETY CONCERT

CLASSIFIED ADS

BRACKENDALE

MORE GIFTS FOR THE FIRST BABY

JOYCE SULLIVAN
[PHOTO]

LIBS TO NOMINATE

LOTS OF ILLNESS HERE

PUBLIC NOTICE

SPRING?

Squamish Advance

Schoonovers at cabin in Brackendale

Left to right: Elvira Schoonover (nee Bump), Mildred (Mrs Scott MacDonald), Charles Schoonover, and son Robert at cabin in Brackendale,

417477 Government Road
This lovely log house was built by Charles Schoonover in 1932. Having worked as a hunter, trapper, and logger further up in the valley for nearly 30 years, Schoonover settled his family here in a house that reflected the beauty of the forests he loved.

Original use: Private residence.
Current use: Private residence.
Current condition: Very well maintained.

Schoonover log cabin in Brackendale

The Schoonover log cabin still stands on Government Road in Brackendale.

417477 Government Road
This lovely log house was built by Charles Schoonover in 1932. Having worked as a hunter, trapper, and logger further up in the valley for nearly 30 years, Schoonover settled his family here in a house that reflected the beauty of the forests he loved.

Original use: Private residence.
Current use: Private residence.
Current condition: Very well maintained.

Judd house

The Judd house which still stands on Judd Road in Brackendale.

Although not the oldest structure in Squamish, the Judd Home (1199 Judd Road) is regarded by many to be one of the District's primary heritage resources, providing an important anchor in reconstructing the early history and development of Brackendale and Squamish. It is in association with the Judd Home that many other local heritage sites are best interpreted. Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Although not a "grand" structure, the Judd Home is nonetheless an attractive example of the functional charm of Western farm homes of the early part of the century. Perhaps more importantly, the Judd home and the lovely surrounding property on which it stands are a reminder of the farming history of Brackendale, and the industriousness of the earliest settlers in Squamish.

Original use: Private residential / farmhouse.
Current use: Private residential.
Current condition: Although some renovation has occurred, the Judd Home maintains most of its original form. Some restoration would be required to bring it back to its original condition. The large property on which it stands is beautifully landscaped and private, allowing a setting which adds to the character of the house.

Judd home

Judd home built in 1916. Still standing on Judd Road in Brackendale.

Although not the oldest structure in Squamish, the Judd Home (1199 Judd Road) is regarded by many to be one of the District's primary heritage resources, providing an important anchor in reconstructing the early history and development of Brackendale and Squamish. It is in association with the Judd Home that many other local heritage sites are best interpreted. Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Although not a "grand" structure, the Judd Home is nonetheless an attractive example of the functional charm of Western farm homes of the early part of the century. Perhaps more importantly, the Judd home and the lovely surrounding property on which it stands are a reminder of the farming history of Brackendale, and the industriousness of the earliest settlers in Squamish.

Original use: Private residential / farmhouse.
Current use: Private residential.
Current condition: Although some renovation has occurred, the Judd Home maintains most of its original form. Some restoration would be required to bring it back to its original condition. The large property on which it stands is beautifully landscaped and private, allowing a setting which adds to the character of the house.

Results 1 to 25 of 42