Showing 93 results

Resource
Scott and Mildred MacDonald Photograph Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

92 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

The Chief

"The Chief" photographed in 1912 from the home of E.D. Reeves, the first telegraph operator in Squamish.

This granite monolith is approximately 700 metres high and is second only to Gibraltar in size. It is so named because its outline against the sky forms the profile of a sleeping Indian chief. The profile of a chief's face can also be seen in the rock.

Firefighters - 1913

Firefighters at the "halfway" between Upper Squamish and Cheekye. Paid $0.25 / hour.

Seated far left, Mr Morbray (fire warden); seated left with white hat, Oswald (Ozzie) Ray; far right seated on bench, Charles Sherman Schoonover; seated next to him, Paul Sellons; standing far right, Compton Reade.

Cheakamus River from bridge

The original spelling of the Cheakamus area (river and canyon) is chee-YAK-mush which is Indian for "fish weir". A slight variation in belief is that the original Indian spelling is Tsee-ark-amiskt which means "fish trap" and refers to the difficulty salmon have in travelling up the river.

Results 26 to 50 of 93