Showing 125 results

Resource
Downtown Squamish
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

125 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Booming logs in Newport, 1904

Booming logs in Newport, BC (Squamish, 1904).

Squamish's name was changed to Newport in 1911 by the H.S. and P.V.N. Railway and was changed back on September 14, 1914 as the result of a contest for school children. The name had to be changed since there was another town in BC named Newport. The twelve final names considered in the contest were: Newport, Strathacona, Prince Arthur, Kingsport, Great Haven, Columbia, Imperial, Squamish, Pacificgate, Bonaventure, and Viveleroi. Squamish is named for the Indian word "Squohomish" (various spellings) meaning "strong wind".

Cleveland Avenue - February 1914

Cleveland Avenue in February 1914. Newpart Hotel on the far left. Construction of MacKenzies far left. Sloughs were filled in by Harry Barnfield, Scott MacDonald, and Lawson Rae in 1926 or 1927.

Street scene, Newport BC

Squamish's name was changed to Newport in 1911 by the H.S. and P.V.N. Railway and was changed back on September 14, 1914 as the result of a contest for school children. The name had to be changed since there was another town in BC named Newport. The twelve final names considered in the contest were: Newport, Strathacona, Prince Arthur, Kingsport, Great Haven, Columbia, Imperial, Squamish, Pacificgate, Bonaventure, and Viveleroi. Squamish is named for the Indian word "Squohomish" (various spellings) meaning "strong wind".

Results 101 to 125 of 125