Showing 83 results

Resource
Brackendale
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

83 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Brackendale Store on Government Road

The main structure of the Brackendale Store was built in 1916 by Hughie Mills to replace John Jackson's old store which burnt down the year before when a fire started in the upstairs pool hall. The site was originally bought from the Judd family as Lot 6 of their subdivision. During the new store's first year, the upstairs served as a temporary home to the Judd family after their own house burnt down.

Although the appearance of the original store is difficult to see in the store's present form, the basic structure is still apparent when viewed from the back. Regardless of any alterations which have occurred, the Brackendale Store retains heritage value tot he community as a long standing local landmark which has continuously provided service to the community since its early days.

Original use: Store, post office.
Current: Store, post office, restaurant.
Current condition: The store has been seriously altered from its original form.

Mount Garibaldi as seen from Brackendale

Garibaldi Mountain was named for the great Italian nationalist Giuseppe Garibaldi. Apparently, it was named by an Italian serving as a sailor on a survey ship, the mountain being in view on Garibaldi's birthday (July 4).
The 2678 metre tall mountain is a dormant composite volcano. The last series of eruptions occurred 10,000 years ago. It was first climbed in 1907 by J. Trorey, A. Dalton, W. Dalton, C. Warren, A. King, and T. Pattison.

Brackendale Store on Government Road

The main structure of the Brackendale Store was built in 1916 by Hughie Mills to replace John Jackson's old store which burnt down the year before when a fire started in the upstairs pool hall. The site was originally bought from the Judd family as Lot 6 of their subdivision. During the new store's first year, the upstairs served as a temporary home to the Judd family after their own house burnt down.

Although the appearance of the original store is difficult to see in the store's present form, the basic structure is still apparent when viewed from the back. Regardless of any alterations which have occurred, the Brackendale Store retains heritage value to the community as a long standing local landmark which has continuously provided service to the community since its early days.

Schoonovers at cabin in Brackendale

Left to right: Elvira Schoonover (nee Bump), Mildred (Mrs Scott MacDonald), Charles Schoonover, and son Robert at cabin in Brackendale,

417477 Government Road
This lovely log house was built by Charles Schoonover in 1932. Having worked as a hunter, trapper, and logger further up in the valley for nearly 30 years, Schoonover settled his family here in a house that reflected the beauty of the forests he loved.

Original use: Private residence.
Current use: Private residence.
Current condition: Very well maintained.

Hop farm barn

Hop. farm barn (across from Eagle run).

Hop farming was Squamish's first major industry. The major producer was Squamish Valley Hop Raising Co. (Bell-Irving Ranch). Hops are perennials and grown about 6 feet apart. They are picked during September and August. Hops are dried and bleached with sulphur in a kiln. In Squamish, Chinese labour was brought in to tend the hops. Local Squamish Nation were the pickers. They would camp in the area now between Petro Canada gas station and the Cottonwood condominiums. The hops in Squamish were top grade. They were shipped to Vancouver in bales wrapped in Burlap, then shipped to Britain where they were used to make beer.

Schoonover log cabin in Brackendale

The Schoonover log cabin still stands on Government Road in Brackendale.

417477 Government Road
This lovely log house was built by Charles Schoonover in 1932. Having worked as a hunter, trapper, and logger further up in the valley for nearly 30 years, Schoonover settled his family here in a house that reflected the beauty of the forests he loved.

Original use: Private residence.
Current use: Private residence.
Current condition: Very well maintained.

Charles Schoonover building home

Near the Brackendale Store.

417477 Government Road
This lovely log house was built by Charles Schoonover in 1932. Having worked as a hunter, trapper, and logger further up in the valley for nearly 30 years, Schoonover settled his family here in a house that reflected the beauty of the forests he loved.

Original use: Private residence.
Current use: Private residence.
Current condition: Very well maintained.

Results 1 to 25 of 83