Showing 344 results

Resource
Recreation
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

343 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

May Day, 1960 - 1961

Left to right, front row: Flora Downer, Nancy Magee, Cathy Jardine, Elaine Cameron, Gay Bowman, Louise , Rutledge, Sharon Dodd, Roberta Armstrong, ?, ?, Janet Downer, Valerie Bird, Sherry Hurren.
Back row: Gale Kirkwood, Myrna Dawson, Kirsten Birkett, Debbie Hurren, Margaret McLean, Sheila MacKay, Stella Eross, Patsy McConnell, Alison Warwick, Joanne Warwick, ?, Cheryl Hill.

Interior of St John (Anglican) Church

Original altar windows (1913-1920) donated by "friends in England". Later when they were damaged beyond repair, they were replaced by those that were a memorial to Mrs Mashiter. Organ thought to belong to Mrs Mashiter, used until the present organ was acquired in 1920.

This Anglican Church on Sixth Avenue was the only church north of Gibson's Landing for many years. The church served the needs of the entire Christian community from the earliest days when Mr Mashiter alternated his Anglican Sunday services with Presbyterian Minister Dr. Robert Young, to the first Lutheran services in town held there by Reverend C. Guebert in the late 1950's.

For a brief period in the early 1920's, the church boasted fine stain glass windows until the stone-throwing enthusiasm of local children forced their removal. Many of their children now own windows of their own in Squamish.

The church has now been tastefully converted into a Dance Studio.

Original use: Church.
Current: Dance studio.
Current condition: Well maintained, new use as dance studio respects original character.

British Columbia Mountaineers

British Columbia Mountaineers (expedition team) at the Judd residence.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

Results 1 to 25 of 344