Showing 2452 results

Resource
People
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

2442 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Logging camp

Logging camp owned and operated by Allan and Charles Barbour - about 1907.

Research compiled by Eric Andersen, 2011: This photo, apparently taken by one of the Magee brothers, shows the construction phase of the flume project. The location is at the west side of the Squamish Timber Company camp, just above the bank of the Brohm River, which is to the left from this scene. It is difficult to tell from the photograph whether the water for the flume is being led from the Brohm River (in the back and to the left of of the photo) or the Cheekye River (around to the right). Either is possible. The Squamish Timber Co. camp and the beginning of the flume lies between the Brohm River and the Cheekye River. Water for the flume might be more easily taken from the Brohm which is closer, however the Cheekye has a steeper gradient. The larger the logs to be flumed, and the steeper the grade, the more water is required.
The log flume was probably used for transporting long cedar shingle bolts, in standard 16-18 foot lengths. These would be boomed in the river, perhaps in the Jimmy Jimmy Slough (Judd Slough), and then delivered elsewhere for manufacturing into roofing shingles.

May Day 1936 (?)

May Queen: Grace Moon (Mrs Tom Clarke).
Attendants: Anne Lasser (Mrs Moore) on the left, Phyllis Leach on the right.
Flower girl: Colleen Brooks (Mrs Drenka).

Judd home

Judd home built in 1916. Still standing on Judd Road in Brackendale.

Although not the oldest structure in Squamish, the Judd Home (1199 Judd Road) is regarded by many to be one of the District's primary heritage resources, providing an important anchor in reconstructing the early history and development of Brackendale and Squamish. It is in association with the Judd Home that many other local heritage sites are best interpreted. Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Although not a "grand" structure, the Judd Home is nonetheless an attractive example of the functional charm of Western farm homes of the early part of the century. Perhaps more importantly, the Judd home and the lovely surrounding property on which it stands are a reminder of the farming history of Brackendale, and the industriousness of the earliest settlers in Squamish.

Original use: Private residential / farmhouse.
Current use: Private residential.
Current condition: Although some renovation has occurred, the Judd Home maintains most of its original form. Some restoration would be required to bring it back to its original condition. The large property on which it stands is beautifully landscaped and private, allowing a setting which adds to the character of the house.

Motorcade arrives Squamish 1/2

Cartoon by Ken Barbour, 1 of 2.

Caption accompanying two cartoons:
... many years ago when the white men first came to the Squamish Valley they stole all the land from the Indians... the Chief put a curse on the white men and said that one day after the greedy white men had logged all the timber and fished all the streams a great new white leader would rise and build a great new trail and return the land to its rightful owners......

Mashiter School class picture

Left to right, 4th row: Norm MacDonald, Jack Quick, Les Moule, Jack Hutton.
3rd row: Lloyd Ingraham, Borden Dawson, Bernice Lowe, Bonnie Thorne, Bill Prendergast, Carl Johnson, Russel Lamoport.
2nd row: Jerry Lee (teacher), Mary Munro, Sylvia Edwards, Margaret Armstrong, Pauline Powell, Kate James, Vivian Ingraham.
1st row: Bill McAllister, Cleve Dawson, George Percy, Charlie Barnfield, George Geoffry.

Results 1 to 25 of 2452