Showing 51 resultsResource
50 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
- CA SQPL 04-003
The name for the Woodfibre area (once a community but now solely the site of a pulp mill by the same name) was established in 1921 as the result of a contest. The previous was Mill Creek and had to be changed because there was another post office of the same name. The winner of the contest and $50 prize was Cathy Haar.
Squamish Public Library, Squamish Files: Place Names.
- CA SQPL 04-018
Intersection of Victoria and Cleveland Avenue during the 1940 flood. Building in background is Yarwood Drugs. Margaret McCallum in foreground.
Margaret McCallum (nee Dewar) owned the first cafe: Waltz Inn Cafe. She married Donald McCallum in March 1913.
- CA SQPL 04-024
Garibaldi Mountain was named for the great Italian nationalist Giuseppe Garibaldi. Apparently, it was named by an Italian serving as a sailor on a survey ship, the mountain being in view on Garibaldi's birthday (July 4).
The 2678 metre tall mountain is a dormant composite volcano. The last series of eruptions occurred 10,000 years ago. It was first climbed in 1907 by J. Trorey, A. Dalton, W. Dalton, C. Warren, A. King, and T. Pattison.