Showing 4061 results

Resource
Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

4061 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Church of St John the Divine

Anglican church.

Church of Saint John the Divine, Newport, BC was erected between May 15th and July 1st, 1913. It was officially opened and dedicated on July 20th, 1913 by the Right Reverend A.U. DePencier, Bishop of the Diocese of New Westminster.

This Anglican Church on Sixth Avenue was the only church north of Gibson's Landing for many years. The church served the needs of the entire Christian community from the earliest days when Mr Mashiter alternated his Anglican Sunday services with Presbyterian Minister Dr. Robert Young, to the first Lutheran services in town held there by Reverend C. Guebert in the late 1950's.

For a brief period in the early 1920's, the church boasted fine stain glass windows until the stone-throwing enthusiasm of local children forced their removal. Many of their children now own windows of their own in Squamish.

The church has now been tastefully converted into a Dance Studio.

Original use: Church.
Current: Dance studio.
Current condition: Well maintained, new use as dance studio respects original character.

Congregation leaving St John the Divine, Thanksgiving 1959

Left to right: Mrs Doris Kennedy with Kathy and Ethel, Mrs Ann Reynolds with daughter Carol, Mrs Betty Robinson (wife of organist), John and Charles Gibbs (in white shirts), Mrs Dulcie Mahood (on steps), Mr Jack Castle (behind her), Reverend Cas Gibbs, Jerry Kennedy (boy on steps in light coat).

This Anglican Church on Sixth Avenue was the only church north of Gibson's Landing for many years. The church served the needs of the entire Christian community from the earliest days when Mr Mashiter alternated his Anglican Sunday services with Presbyterian Minister Dr. Robert Young, to the first Lutheran services in town held there by Reverend C. Guebert in the late 1950's.

For a brief period in the early 1920's, the church boasted fine stain glass windows until the stone-throwing enthusiasm of local children forced their removal. Many of their children now own windows of their own in Squamish.

The church has now been tastefully converted into a Dance Studio.

Original use: Church.
Current: Dance studio.
Current condition: Well maintained, new use as dance studio respects original character.

Grade 7 & 8, Mashiter School 1932 - 1933

Left to right, front row: Frank Sabotka, Barney Blundell, Bill Machin, Bob Armstrong, Stanley Johnson, Mike Buckley, Logan Percy, Keith Kennedy, Harold Graham, Jim Armstrong.
Second row: Grace Moon, Constance Prendergast, Jean Mahood, Betty Quick, Ruth Downer, Vern Jamison, Geraldine Lewis, Josephine Martin, Irma Selons, Dorothy Edwards, Lily Lewis.
Third row: Francis Lamport, Anita Green, Louise Rae, Mavis Edwards, Catherine Rae, Irene Rae, Vera Lamport, Betty Hunt, Margaret McNamee, Anne Lasser, Jessie Downer.
Fourt row: Noel Mulhern, Fred Eadie, Bud Lourcoutte, Herbert Rae, Jack Gibson, Joe Seymour, John Sabotka.

Armstrong, Jim

Jack Habricht

Jack Habricht, trapper and prospector playing the according in Valleycliffe in the 1930's. His cabin was located behind today's site of the Cliffeside Pub. Mount Habrich is named after him.

A group of men surveyed the local mountains from his cabin at the foot of what is now known as Hospital Hill. The surveyors were so appreciative , they named the mountain after him.

Results 1 to 25 of 4061