Showing 82 results

Resource
Unknown Photograph Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

81 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Merrill & Ring Logging Camp, 1926

Merrill & Ring Logging Camp (1926) in the Valleycliffe area.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

Merrill & Ring Logging Camp

Merrill & Ring Logging Camp (1926) in the Valleycliffe Area.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

May Day, early 1960's

Left to right, front row: ?, ?, ?.
2nd row: Marilyn Kashmir, Sharon Hurst, Donna Dorhety, Jileen Drenka, ?, ?, Sheila MacKenzie, Ethel Kennedy, Dallas Arnett, Marcia Seymour.
3rd row: Joan Clark, ?, April Dawson, ?, Clair Minchin, ?, Beth Rhymall, Diane Lassman, Beverly Hill.
4th row: ____ Dapilioni, ?, Janice Hurford, ?, Cathy Olson, Janet Constantine, ?, Heather Peterson.

May Day, 1960 - 1961

Left to right, front row: Flora Downer, Nancy Magee, Cathy Jardine, Elaine Cameron, Gay Bowman, Louise , Rutledge, Sharon Dodd, Roberta Armstrong, ?, ?, Janet Downer, Valerie Bird, Sherry Hurren.
Back row: Gale Kirkwood, Myrna Dawson, Kirsten Birkett, Debbie Hurren, Margaret McLean, Sheila MacKay, Stella Eross, Patsy McConnell, Alison Warwick, Joanne Warwick, ?, Cheryl Hill.

Mashiter School picture, 1949

Left to right, front row: Mary McCormack, Sheila Dawson, Loys Allot, Helen Zack, Joyce Turnquist, Dorothy Caldwell, Ruth Jordan, Harriet Brightbill.
Second row: Patricia Taylor, Janet Casey, June Frost, Shirley Bazley, Patricia Patterson, Beth Tatlow, Mrs T. Melynsck (teacher).
Third row: Miss Norah Tracey (teacher), Denny McDougall, William Jenkins, James Buchanan, Gilbert Garrison, Ronald Klassen, Bill Thornber, Bill Burgess, Bill Carson.
Top row: Richard Munro, Donald Brownell, Gray Mitchell, Kenneth Dorman, Terry Aldridge, Bob Dent, Graham Valde, Sonny Davis.

Mashiter School class picture

Left to right, 4th row: Norm MacDonald, Jack Quick, Les Moule, Jack Hutton.
3rd row: Lloyd Ingraham, Borden Dawson, Bernice Lowe, Bonnie Thorne, Bill Prendergast, Carl Johnson, Russel Lamoport.
2nd row: Jerry Lee (teacher), Mary Munro, Sylvia Edwards, Margaret Armstrong, Pauline Powell, Kate James, Vivian Ingraham.
1st row: Bill McAllister, Cleve Dawson, George Percy, Charlie Barnfield, George Geoffry.

Results 26 to 50 of 82