Affichage de 13 résultats

ressource
Ed Aldridge Photograph Collection Men
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

13 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

Loads of logs

Left to right: Dave Thompson, Wilma Ferguson, Henry Ferguson, Charlie Moore.
Merrill & Ring Dump and Brow, 1927. See number 5 in the Ed Alridge Photograph Collection for another view of a load of logs.
Photo by: Ed Aldridge.

Aldridge, Ed

PGE shops - retirement of Harold Bailey, 1951

Left to right, top row: Mr Vogle, Les Moule, Bill Richmond, Owen Reeve, ?, George Appleyard, Fred Barnfield, Bill McAllister, Les Walton, Tommy Gilgan, Russ Lamport, Brian Buckley, ?, Jimmy Harley (in loco).
Third row: Bill Curran, Len Gorsuch.
Second row: Eric Axen, Art Anglin, Ed Aldridge, Jack Frost, Tommy Fowler, Harold Bailey, Don Robinson, Frank King, Rosie Zack, Lil Hutchinson, Christy Wheatley, Mrs Tremblay, Margaret Thorne, Bill Hales, Bob Slack, Harry Brightbill, Bob Bruce, ?, ?, ?, ?, Joe Gault, Joe Mulhern, Bill Riley, Barry Hunt, Cy Marchant, Bill Bazley.
Front row: Jim Taylor, Jim Hurren, Ivo Confortin, Jim Robinson, Tommy Fraser, Bill Gedge.
Dennis or Buzz Downer, ?, ,?, Arnold Kermein.

Merrill & Ring Cold Deck at Squamish

All 40' longs. George Percey is in the foreground. Al Land in the back. Some 72' "boom sticks".
Photo by: Ed Aldridge.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

Aldridge, Ed

First locomotive to come up Howe Sound to Norton & McKinnon logging operation

Left to right: Tommy Dickenson (book keeper), George Percy (superintendent), Pete Olsen (hooktender), Al Lund (head high rigger). Taken in 1927 where South Park apartments now stand.
Engine - 50 ton wood burning shay later converted to oil burner. First locomotive to come up Howe Sound to Norton & McKinnon logging operation. Acquired by Merrill & Ring for fire damage to Merrill & Ring timber when Norton McKinnon had a bad fire. Loco taken out of Squamish to other Merrill & Ring operations and came back to Squamish in late 1927 or early 1927. Shark arrester smoke stack loco.
Information supplied by Ed Aldridge.
Photo by: Bun Yarwood.

In 1911, McKinnon and Norton of the Newport Timber Company were logging in Squamish in the area known as the base camp road, near Curly Lews' place. They had donkeys, a large shay engine, and a weird whistle. Mr McKinnon was a bartender and Mr Norton was a logger. Amedy Levesque and George Laviolette worked as brakemen on the locomotive. The camp was run by Mr Fuller.

First full train of logs going south

First full train of logs going south through "Old Camp" on way to dump. Merrill and Ring 0-4-0 14 ton plymouth gas locomotive.
Left to right: Bun Yarwood, ?, Big Dave Thompson, Al Lund, ?, Bill Tourcotte, ?.
May 1927.
Photo by Ed Aldridge.

Aldridge, Ed

On speeder

Left to right: "Big Dave" Thompson (steel foreman), Wilma Ferguson, Kenny Ferguson, Einear Findsen, speeder driver), Charlie Moore (son of general manager "Old George Moore") seated on speeder.
Photo by: Ed Aldridge.

Aldridge, Ed

Group with raquets

Left to right: Eric Stathers, Dennis Debeck, Alta Aldridge (nee Lamport), Jack Frost, ?, Mrs Eric Stathers, Ken Shirley, Dorothy Debeck, Mrs Jenny Frost.

Howe Sound Militia Rangers, 1945

Left to right, front row: Art Mathison, Tommy Clarke, Smith Frost (captain) Eric Stathers, Art Thorne, Don Kirkwood, Ed Aldridge.
2nd row: George Smith, Fred Barnfield, Les Moule, Bill Barnfield, Bill Evans, ?.
3rd row: Lonnie Rae's son, George Behrner, Lonnie Rae's son, Harold Stathers, Jim Harley, Bob Slack, Fred Magee.
4th row: Lyle MacPherson, Les Keith, Leo Davis, Buster Marks, Cliff Thorne, Lonnie Rae.