Showing 37 results

Resource
Brackendale People
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

37 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Brackendale & Cheakamus stage

Brackendale & Cheakamus stage in 1910 (or 1908?), driven by Henry Judd. Judd started with oxen in 1903 and later changed to horses. This pictured incarnation of the stage was known as the "Rapid". In 1912, it was supplemented by a new Garford motor truck. Harry Judd provided transportation services between Squamish Dock and the Cheakamus Lodge at Cheekye -the beginning of the Pemberton Trail.

Brackendale School picture, 1905

Left to right: Bert Rae, Maurice Rae, Thorne girl (likely Edna), Ethel Herres, Olive Judd, ?, Wilby Judd, Earl Judd, Lizzy Herres, ?, Harold Thorne, Belle Herres, Rae boy (likely Herbert Lawson).
Teacher: Mr Alexander Stephen.

British Columbia Mountaineers

British Columbia Mountaineers (expedition team) at the Judd residence.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

Charles Schoonover building home

Near the Brackendale Store.

417477 Government Road
This lovely log house was built by Charles Schoonover in 1932. Having worked as a hunter, trapper, and logger further up in the valley for nearly 30 years, Schoonover settled his family here in a house that reflected the beauty of the forests he loved.

Original use: Private residence.
Current use: Private residence.
Current condition: Very well maintained.

In front of Bracken Arms hotel

The Bracken Arms hotel was located on the east side of Government Road, near the Brackendale General Store. A fire destroyed the building in 1914, but the chimney and fireplace still stand today.

Chief Long George, who lived around the turn of the century, always won top prize at John Bracken's turkey shoots.
Back row, left to right: ?, Charlie McKinnon, Fred Downer, ?, Wilfred Rae, ?, Earl Parkest, Lance Bracken (architect who designed this hotel). Front row, left to right: Mr Hickey, Bert Rae, Albert Edwards, ?, Bob Hutchinson, Charlie Clerk, Hughie Mills, Al Armstrong, Chief Long George, Fred Thorne, Tom Brett, Billy Mallett, Mr Blodgett.

Those thought to be in the picture but their positions unknown: Cliff Thorne, Bert Perkins, Harry Judd, Jack Edwards, Wilbie Judd, Fred Magee, John Bracken, Jack Habricht, Charlie Fairman, Jack Greer, and Ralph Brereton.

In front of Bracken Arms hotel

Left to right, back row: ?, Charlie McKinnon, Fred Downer, ?, Wilfred Rae, ?, Earl Parkest, Lance Bracken (architect who designed hotel).
Front row: Mr Hickey, Bert Rae, Albert Edwards, ?, Bob Hutchinson, Charlie Clerk, Hughie Mills, Al Armstrong, Chief Long George, Fred Thorne, Tom Brett, Bill Mallett, Mr Blodgett.

Those thought to be in the picture although position unknown: Cliff Thorne, Bert Perkins, Harry Judd, Jack Edwards, Wilbie Judd, Fred Magee, John Bracken, Jack Habricht, Charlie Fairman, Jack Greer, Ralph Brereton.

Chief Long George, who lived around the turn of the century, always won top prize at John Bracken's turkey shoots.

Judd home

Judd home built in 1916. Still standing on Judd Road in Brackendale.

Although not the oldest structure in Squamish, the Judd Home (1199 Judd Road) is regarded by many to be one of the District's primary heritage resources, providing an important anchor in reconstructing the early history and development of Brackendale and Squamish. It is in association with the Judd Home that many other local heritage sites are best interpreted. Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Although not a "grand" structure, the Judd Home is nonetheless an attractive example of the functional charm of Western farm homes of the early part of the century. Perhaps more importantly, the Judd home and the lovely surrounding property on which it stands are a reminder of the farming history of Brackendale, and the industriousness of the earliest settlers in Squamish.

Original use: Private residential / farmhouse.
Current use: Private residential.
Current condition: Although some renovation has occurred, the Judd Home maintains most of its original form. Some restoration would be required to bring it back to its original condition. The large property on which it stands is beautifully landscaped and private, allowing a setting which adds to the character of the house.

Judd house

The Judd house which still stands on Judd Road in Brackendale.

Although not the oldest structure in Squamish, the Judd Home (1199 Judd Road) is regarded by many to be one of the District's primary heritage resources, providing an important anchor in reconstructing the early history and development of Brackendale and Squamish. It is in association with the Judd Home that many other local heritage sites are best interpreted. Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Although not a "grand" structure, the Judd Home is nonetheless an attractive example of the functional charm of Western farm homes of the early part of the century. Perhaps more importantly, the Judd home and the lovely surrounding property on which it stands are a reminder of the farming history of Brackendale, and the industriousness of the earliest settlers in Squamish.

Original use: Private residential / farmhouse.
Current use: Private residential.
Current condition: Although some renovation has occurred, the Judd Home maintains most of its original form. Some restoration would be required to bring it back to its original condition. The large property on which it stands is beautifully landscaped and private, allowing a setting which adds to the character of the house.

Results 1 to 25 of 37