Showing 83 results

Resource
Brackendale With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Squamish Advance: Thursday, March 27, 1952

SQUAMISH ROAD SHELVED AGAIN

IMPROVEMENTS TO ROAD AND LANES

'51'S GOOD CITIZEN?

CANCER CAMPAIGN

APRIL CONCERT

THE CRADLE

H.S. JOURNALISM CLUB TOURS CITY

MORE SUGAR FOR HOSPITAL FUND

CARSON TO SPEAK

J.A. MEMBERS TO RECEIVE AWARDS

WESTMINSTER ELKS VISIT SQUAMISH

MORE WORK ON LEGION HALL

BUILD PARKING PLACE

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

SNOWMOBILE GETS NEW DIFFERENTIAL

SCOUTS RECEIVE THEIR ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

WOODFIBRE WINS BADMINTON CUP

BRACKENDALE

VILLAGE OF SQUAMISH

NEW BUS WILL ARRIVE THIS WEEK

SUMMER SCENE AT DIAMOND HEAD IN GARIBALDI PARK

Squamish Advance

Squamish Advance: Thursday, February 21, 1952

LOCAL SERVICE FOR LATE KING

LOCAL GIRLS ATTEND CGIT CONVENTION

CCF CLUB IS FORMED HERE

TRAIN SERVICE BACK ON SCHEDULE

PLANS START ON SQUAMISH ROAD

BE THERE!
LEGION BUILDING SHOWING PROGRESS

BRACKENDALE

SOMETHING NEW

HELICOPTER PILOTS TO TRAIN HERE

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

DONALD MANSON
[PHOTO]
DIRECTOR OF THE CBC

PTA PLANS COUNTRY FAIR

A SKIER'S PARADISE
[PHOTO]

HOSPITAL READY IN EARLY APRIL

COFFEE SHOP WILL RE-OPEN

ANOTHER LOGGING SHOW OPENED

JAMES NESBITT
[PHOTO]
PARLIAMENTARY REPORTER

CLASSIFIED ADS

COMMUNICATIONS

GOVERNOR-GENERAL

PARLIAMENT OPENS

REID FORSEE
[PHOTO]

AROUND TOWN

Squamish Advance

Judd home

Judd home built in 1916. Still standing on Judd Road in Brackendale.

Although not the oldest structure in Squamish, the Judd Home (1199 Judd Road) is regarded by many to be one of the District's primary heritage resources, providing an important anchor in reconstructing the early history and development of Brackendale and Squamish. It is in association with the Judd Home that many other local heritage sites are best interpreted. Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Although not a "grand" structure, the Judd Home is nonetheless an attractive example of the functional charm of Western farm homes of the early part of the century. Perhaps more importantly, the Judd home and the lovely surrounding property on which it stands are a reminder of the farming history of Brackendale, and the industriousness of the earliest settlers in Squamish.

Original use: Private residential / farmhouse.
Current use: Private residential.
Current condition: Although some renovation has occurred, the Judd Home maintains most of its original form. Some restoration would be required to bring it back to its original condition. The large property on which it stands is beautifully landscaped and private, allowing a setting which adds to the character of the house.

Steam donkey and Spar tree at Merrill & Ring Logging operation

Steam donkey and Spar tree at Merrill & Ring Logging operation, 500 feet south of Alice Lake.

Photo by: Bun Yarwood.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

Squamish Advance: Thursday, November 2, 1950

ERECTING NEW AUTO SHOWROOM

BRACKENDALE

CBC PRODUCER
[PHOTO]

NEWCOMER BEATS HOUSING SHORTAGE

BUY XMAS SEALS

TAX INCREASE

FURTHER EFFORTS FOR NEW HIGHWAY

ARMISTICE SERVICE FOR NOVEMBER 11

DISLOCATES ELBOW IN MILL ACCIDENT

SCHOOL PUPILS HOLD GOOD MASQUERADE

CHANGE HANDS

RECEIVE GRADER

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

JAMES SINCLAIR'S SURPRISE VISIT

NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS

WOODFIBRE

BRITANNIA

CARD OF THANKS

ASSOCIATION FAVORS 'MISSING LINK' ROAD

PUBLIC NOTICE

Squamish Advance

Mount Garibaldi as seen from Brackendale

Garibaldi Mountain was named for the great Italian nationalist Giuseppe Garibaldi. Apparently, it was named by an Italian serving as a sailor on a survey ship, the mountain being in view on Garibaldi's birthday (July 4).
The 2678 metre tall mountain is a dormant composite volcano. The last series of eruptions occurred 10,000 years ago. It was first climbed in 1907 by J. Trorey, A. Dalton, W. Dalton, C. Warren, A. King, and T. Pattison.

Brackendale Store on Government Road

The main structure of the Brackendale Store was built in 1916 by Hughie Mills to replace John Jackson's old store which burnt down the year before when a fire started in the upstairs pool hall. The site was originally bought from the Judd family as Lot 6 of their subdivision. During the new store's first year, the upstairs served as a temporary home to the Judd family after their own house burnt down.

Although the appearance of the original store is difficult to see in the store's present form, the basic structure is still apparent when viewed from the back. Regardless of any alterations which have occurred, the Brackendale Store retains heritage value to the community as a long standing local landmark which has continuously provided service to the community since its early days.

Squamish Advance: Thursday, March 13, 1952

LOGGING NOW IN FULL SWING HERE

BASKETBALL GAMES WON BY LOCAL TEAMS

TRADE BOARD DISCUSSES SITE OF NEW DYKE

HOSPITAL BOARD CHOSEN HERE

FALLER INJURED IN LOGGING ACCIDENT

PROGRAM DIRECTOR
[PHOTO]

HOSPITAL TO PROFIT FROM STORE'S SALES

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 48 (HOWE SOUND)
BALANCE SHEET
AS AT DECEMBER 31, 1981

CHALET PREPARES FOR EASTER SEASON

[PHOTO]
THE DIAMOND HEAD SNOWMOBILE

BRACKENDALE

THE CRADLE

LOGGING COMPANY BUYS NEW MACHINE

PUBLIC NOTICE

INSTITUTE PLANS TO COLLECT WOOLENS

IN MEMORIAM

BADMINTON NOTES

CLASSIFIED ADS

MEN WANTED

1 WORKING FOREMAN
2 LABORERS

[PHOTO]
SOLWAY QUARTET - HEARD OVER THE CBC

BEARD GROWING CONTEST NOW OPEN

ROAD AND GUN CLUB IN ANNUAL MEETING

FIRST BABY WILL RECEIVE MANY GIFTS

Squamish Advance

In front of Bracken Arms hotel

Left to right, back row: ?, Charlie McKinnon, Fred Downer, ?, Wilfred Rae, ?, Earl Parkest, Lance Bracken (architect who designed hotel).
Front row: Mr Hickey, Bert Rae, Albert Edwards, ?, Bob Hutchinson, Charlie Clerk, Hughie Mills, Al Armstrong, Chief Long George, Fred Thorne, Tom Brett, Bill Mallett, Mr Blodgett.

Those thought to be in the picture although position unknown: Cliff Thorne, Bert Perkins, Harry Judd, Jack Edwards, Wilbie Judd, Fred Magee, John Bracken, Jack Habricht, Charlie Fairman, Jack Greer, Ralph Brereton.

Chief Long George, who lived around the turn of the century, always won top prize at John Bracken's turkey shoots.

Results 1 to 25 of 83