Showing 37 results

Resource
Brackendale People
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

37 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Squamish Advance: Thursday, March 27, 1952

SQUAMISH ROAD SHELVED AGAIN

IMPROVEMENTS TO ROAD AND LANES

'51'S GOOD CITIZEN?

CANCER CAMPAIGN

APRIL CONCERT

THE CRADLE

H.S. JOURNALISM CLUB TOURS CITY

MORE SUGAR FOR HOSPITAL FUND

CARSON TO SPEAK

J.A. MEMBERS TO RECEIVE AWARDS

WESTMINSTER ELKS VISIT SQUAMISH

MORE WORK ON LEGION HALL

BUILD PARKING PLACE

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

SNOWMOBILE GETS NEW DIFFERENTIAL

SCOUTS RECEIVE THEIR ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

WOODFIBRE WINS BADMINTON CUP

BRACKENDALE

VILLAGE OF SQUAMISH

NEW BUS WILL ARRIVE THIS WEEK

SUMMER SCENE AT DIAMOND HEAD IN GARIBALDI PARK

Squamish Advance

Judd home

Judd home built in 1916. Still standing on Judd Road in Brackendale.

Although not the oldest structure in Squamish, the Judd Home (1199 Judd Road) is regarded by many to be one of the District's primary heritage resources, providing an important anchor in reconstructing the early history and development of Brackendale and Squamish. It is in association with the Judd Home that many other local heritage sites are best interpreted. Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Although not a "grand" structure, the Judd Home is nonetheless an attractive example of the functional charm of Western farm homes of the early part of the century. Perhaps more importantly, the Judd home and the lovely surrounding property on which it stands are a reminder of the farming history of Brackendale, and the industriousness of the earliest settlers in Squamish.

Original use: Private residential / farmhouse.
Current use: Private residential.
Current condition: Although some renovation has occurred, the Judd Home maintains most of its original form. Some restoration would be required to bring it back to its original condition. The large property on which it stands is beautifully landscaped and private, allowing a setting which adds to the character of the house.

Squamish Advance: Thursday, November 2, 1950

ERECTING NEW AUTO SHOWROOM

BRACKENDALE

CBC PRODUCER
[PHOTO]

NEWCOMER BEATS HOUSING SHORTAGE

BUY XMAS SEALS

TAX INCREASE

FURTHER EFFORTS FOR NEW HIGHWAY

ARMISTICE SERVICE FOR NOVEMBER 11

DISLOCATES ELBOW IN MILL ACCIDENT

SCHOOL PUPILS HOLD GOOD MASQUERADE

CHANGE HANDS

RECEIVE GRADER

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

JAMES SINCLAIR'S SURPRISE VISIT

NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS

WOODFIBRE

BRITANNIA

CARD OF THANKS

ASSOCIATION FAVORS 'MISSING LINK' ROAD

PUBLIC NOTICE

Squamish Advance

British Columbia Mountaineers

British Columbia Mountaineers (expedition team) at the Judd residence.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

In front of Bracken Arms hotel

The Bracken Arms hotel was located on the east side of Government Road, near the Brackendale General Store. A fire destroyed the building in 1914, but the chimney and fireplace still stand today.

Chief Long George, who lived around the turn of the century, always won top prize at John Bracken's turkey shoots.
Back row, left to right: ?, Charlie McKinnon, Fred Downer, ?, Wilfred Rae, ?, Earl Parkest, Lance Bracken (architect who designed this hotel). Front row, left to right: Mr Hickey, Bert Rae, Albert Edwards, ?, Bob Hutchinson, Charlie Clerk, Hughie Mills, Al Armstrong, Chief Long George, Fred Thorne, Tom Brett, Billy Mallett, Mr Blodgett.

Those thought to be in the picture but their positions unknown: Cliff Thorne, Bert Perkins, Harry Judd, Jack Edwards, Wilbie Judd, Fred Magee, John Bracken, Jack Habricht, Charlie Fairman, Jack Greer, and Ralph Brereton.

Squamish Advance: Thursday, February 14, 1952

MILD WEATHER SPEEDS LOGGING

BOARD OF TRADE HOLDS SESSION

LOCAL HOLIDAY
KING'S FUNERAL THIS FRIDAY

SAVE ALL ARTICLES
DISCARDED ARTICLES MAY BE USEFUL

JOAN MAXWELL
[PHOTO]

SQUAMISH EDGED BY WOODFIBRE BASKETEERS

INSTITUTE ACTIVE

LEGION TO HOLD MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR LATE KING

W.A. TO HANDLE CANCER CAMPAIGN

PLANS MADE FOR KLONDIKE NIGHT

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

BRACKENDALE

WET WEATHER CLEARS SNOW HERE

ROCK SLIDES DELAY PASSENGER TRAINS

LUCILLE DUMONT
[PHOTO]

IN MEMORIAM

CLASSIFIED ADS

FINED FOR TRESSPASS ON INDIAN RESERVE

CANADA SHOWS POPULATION GAIN

LICENCES EXPIRE

WILL HOLD FIRST AID CLASSES HERE

DIES SUDDENLY

FORMER PUBLISHER VISITS SQUAMISH

RETURN TO CITY

MOVE TO NEW HOME

Squamish Advance

Brackendale School picture, 1905

Left to right: Bert Rae, Maurice Rae, Thorne girl (likely Edna), Ethel Herres, Olive Judd, ?, Wilby Judd, Earl Judd, Lizzy Herres, ?, Harold Thorne, Belle Herres, Rae boy (likely Herbert Lawson).
Teacher: Mr Alexander Stephen.

Judd house

The Judd house which still stands on Judd Road in Brackendale.

Although not the oldest structure in Squamish, the Judd Home (1199 Judd Road) is regarded by many to be one of the District's primary heritage resources, providing an important anchor in reconstructing the early history and development of Brackendale and Squamish. It is in association with the Judd Home that many other local heritage sites are best interpreted. Henry Judd (or Harry, as he was also known) and his wife Anne were among that small group of settlers which included the Robertsons, the Raes, William Mashiter, E.B. Madill, George Magee, Tom Reid, and a few others who are now regarded as the Pioneers of the Squamish Valley.

Having made purchase by public lottery of a major piece of property covering much of what is Brackendale today, Henry Judd arrived in the Valley in 1889 to begin farming his land. Building his original home at the present site of the Brennan Home, Judd sold that house to his parents after marrying Barbara Anne Edwards, who had come to work at the Squamish Valley Hop Ranch. A new home was built by the young couple on the site of the present Judd House.

The present form of Brackendale did not begin to take shape until the subdivision of the Judd property in 1910 into 20 large lots along the Government Road, including the original lot purchased for the Brackendale Store. The original Judd Home itself burnt to the ground in 1916 and was rebuilt as the structure which stands there today as the current home of Mrs Farquharson, one of Henry and Anne Judd's youngest daughters.

Although not a "grand" structure, the Judd Home is nonetheless an attractive example of the functional charm of Western farm homes of the early part of the century. Perhaps more importantly, the Judd home and the lovely surrounding property on which it stands are a reminder of the farming history of Brackendale, and the industriousness of the earliest settlers in Squamish.

Original use: Private residential / farmhouse.
Current use: Private residential.
Current condition: Although some renovation has occurred, the Judd Home maintains most of its original form. Some restoration would be required to bring it back to its original condition. The large property on which it stands is beautifully landscaped and private, allowing a setting which adds to the character of the house.

Schoonovers at cabin in Brackendale

Left to right: Elvira Schoonover (nee Bump), Mildred (Mrs Scott MacDonald), Charles Schoonover, and son Robert at cabin in Brackendale,

417477 Government Road
This lovely log house was built by Charles Schoonover in 1932. Having worked as a hunter, trapper, and logger further up in the valley for nearly 30 years, Schoonover settled his family here in a house that reflected the beauty of the forests he loved.

Original use: Private residence.
Current use: Private residence.
Current condition: Very well maintained.

Results 1 to 25 of 37