Showing 125 results

Downtown Squamish
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

125 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

The Harry Billbright home

The Harry Billbright home when it was first built. It was located on 2nd Avenue in the current location of the Credit Union then moved to Stan Clarke Park and used as a Museum.

It was built in 1933 for Harry "Brownie" Brightbill, railway engineer on the "Fisherman's Special" from Squamish to Lillooet. It was constructed by Herb Dawson. The house was purchased by the District during the Mayorship of Pat Brennan. Cause for considerable disagreement in the community at the time, it may be argued that the controversy surrounding that decision has only added to any heritage value the building already had.

In June 2000, the Brightbill house was moved to the West Coast Railway Heritage Park and was one of the first exhibits to open in the new Town Square community area.

Condition: It was well maintained the Squamish Museum where it was housed was closed. There were problems with vandalism.

Original use: Residential home.

Cleveland Avenue

Left to right: Stan Clarke's first gas station, harding's barbershop (Stan Harding lived above), PGE Houses, fire hall (with smoke stack), post office.

Cleveland Avenue, Squamish's main street is named after E.A. Cleveland, the BC land surveyor who drew up the plan of the subdivision of Squamish in 1912. All subsequent surveys have been based on this.

Municipal Park

Municipal Park on June 19, 1959, now Stan Clarke Park. The child is Brett Cunningham.

Clarke Park was named after a prominent railway man and a village chairman, G.S. Clarke (Stanley) since he was involved in all aspects of the community.

Results 1 to 25 of 125