Showing 7 resultsResource
7 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
- CA SQPL 19-021
Part of Unknown Photograph Collection
Cheekye is from the Indian name for Mount Garibald - in-ch-KAI which means "dirty place". The mountain was so named since dirty snow would result when dust would be blown onto the snowfields from cinder cones and lava. The pioneers adapted this name to the area and river.
- CA SQPL 11-002
Grading the road from Squamish to Cheekye (30-35).
Left to right: Claude Hertnell, Lawson Rae.
- CA SQPL HNA-1951.SA-1951.06.14
Part of Historical Newspaper Archive
CONTRACT LET FOR SQUAMISH HOSPITAL
FLOODGATE REPAIRED BY WORK "BEE"
VILLAGE PLANS MORE SIDEWALKS
CHEEKYE BRIDGE BEING REPAIRED
BRITANNIA TO SELL PYRITES IN B.C.
BOARD OF TRADE IN BUSY SESSION
TWO INJURED IN FREAK ACCIDENT
STUDENTS TO ATTEND GRADUATION BANQUET
LOCAL AND PERSONAL
B.C. ELECTRIC PLANS BUILDING PROGRAM
LOCAL STORE ADDS NEW STAFF MEMBERS
CUCKOO CLOCK HOUSE
WINTER FUN IN SUMMER
- CA SQPL 33-017
Part of Magee Photograph Collection
The hop fields and buildings of the Squamish Valley Hops Raising Co. ranch in Brackendale, across the road from the Seaichem Indian Reserve, were landmarks for valley travellers.
Hop farming was Squamish's first major industry. The major producer was Squamish Valley Hop Raising Co. (Bell-Irving Ranch). Hops are perennials and grown about 6 feet apart. They are picked during September and August. Hops are dried and bleached with sulphur in a kiln. In Squamish, Chinese labour was brought in to tend the hops. Local First Nations picked them. They would camp in the area now between Petro Canada gas station and the Cottonwood condominiums. The hops in Squamish were top grade. They were shipped to Vancouver in bales wrapped in Burlap, then shipped to Britain where they were used to make beer.
1890 - Hops first grown by E.B. Madill.
1891, February - Group from Puyallup Valley (near Tacoma) examined Squamish as potential hop growing area. The Squamish Valley Hop Raising Company was formed by Vancouver businessmen. Dr Bell-Irving (great uncle of previous Lieutenant Governor) was owner of the company. President was William Shannon and Secretary was T.T. Black; and Directors: Dr Bell-Irving, W.E. Green, George Magee, E.L. Phillips.
1892 - The Squamish Valley Hop Raising Company leased land from E.B. Madill. 1.5 acres of hop vine nursery stock was planted. In addition, 260 acres were purchased, 20 acres of which were cleared. Ranch was in the present location of Eagle Run extending from Heidenriech's house to Judd Road to Horse Creek. Frank H. Potter, a hop rancher from Puyallup, became a manager. No hops grown but frame house and out-buildings built for Potter.
1893, Fall - 5 acres hops grown on Madill's leased property. No hops grown on Squamish Valley Hop Company's own land. 40 acres cleared but planted potatoes, oats, and hat. W. Shannon still president of the company. Chas. McLaughlin, secretary.
1894 - Fred Clayton Thorne replaced Frank Potter as manager of Squamish Valley Hop Company. Hop industry began to thrive. Allen Rae, E.B. Madill, George Magee, and Tom Reid grew hops.
1897 - D.H. Tweedie was manager of Madill's hop ranch.
1898 - Charles Rose was manager of Squamish Valley Hop Company (Bell-Irving ranch). Wife, Alice, was ranch cook.
1906, March - 28 acres of hops planted at Bell-Irving ranch.
1914 - With beginning if war, hop prices fell. Hop ranches were shut down. The Squamish Valley Hop Company was owned by Dr Bell Irving and Mr Murry (manager of Bank of Commerce in Vancouver) owned ranch at that time. Fred Thorne took over Squamish Valley Hope Company ranch and started raising short horn cattle.
1917 - Hop industry had died in Squamish.
~1931 - George Carson was running his brother Robert (Bob) Carson's hop ranch when it burned down.
1944 - Roderick Mackenzie owned old Squamish Hop Co. ranch. Referred to as the mackenzie Ranch or the Pig or Hog Ranch. Since he produced hops for export to help the war effort, it received those names.