Showing 38 results

Resource
Cheakamus
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

38 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Cheakamus River from bridge

The original spelling of the Cheakamus area (river and canyon) is chee-YAK-mush which is Indian for "fish weir". A slight variation in belief is that the original Indian spelling is Tsee-ark-amiskt which means "fish trap" and refers to the difficulty salmon have in travelling up the river.

Steam donkey along Cheekye at Yapp's Logging Camp

Squamish Timber Company's yarding donkey.

In 1907, Allan Newton Barbour and his brother Charles came to Squamish and logged using 6 yoke of oxen and took out six 24' logs a "turn" (load). The area logged was near the PGE Shops (by Castle's Crossing), across the river rom the shops, on the Burnt Ground near the cemetery, at Paradise Valley, and about five miles north of Cheekye. 2 to 20 men were employed. It was customary to log close to the river so the logs just had to be dragged into the river and floated to the Howe Sound where they were picked up by the Powell River company tugs and taken up to their mills. Log jams were broken up by men in canoes. Mr McComb was the first to tow logs down the river in a boat. The Barbours would later sell out to Mr Yapp. Mr Yapp's Squamish Timber Company was incorporated on March 21, 1907. In 1910, the Yapp Company cleared the Cheekye area. A steam donkey would haul the logs 400 feet and then an 8 horse team hauled them 1/2 mile on a skid road. Another donkey, called a roader, took the logs to the river. Here the logs followed a log trough. Instead of chokers, logging dogs were used. When the Howe Sound Northern Railway came into Cheakamus, the Yapp company used the train to transport logs to the booming grounds at Squamish. In 1911, a company owned by Mr Lamb took over the Yapp stand of timber.

In 1912, Arthur McIntyre, Fidolle Laviolette, Amedy Levesque, and George Laviolette ("The French Boys") won a steam donkey from Al Barbour in a poker game. Barbour had refused to sell it to them earlier. Mr Barbour went back to logging with horses hauling the timber out on skid roads until he could afford another donkey. The boys formed a partnership called the Laviolette, McIntyre, and Levesque Logging Co.

Huey Mills and Kate Mills

Huey Mills and Kate Mills (formerly Mrs Allan Rae) sitting in the background. Man in the foreground is unknown.

Research compiled by Eric Anderson, 2011: This photo, apparently taken by one of the Magee brothers, shows the construction phase of the flume project. The occassion is a visit to the site by Hughie Mills' new bride Catherine, the former Mrs Allen Rae, in the Spring of 1910. In this photo, Hughie Mills appears to be giving his wife a tour of the project. Mills was a building contractor in the valley, and very likely worked on the flume construction. The location is at the west side of the Squamish Timber Company camp, just above the bank of the Brohm River, which is to the left from this scene. It is difficult to tell from the photograph whether the water for the flume is being led from the Brohm River (in the back and to the left of of the photo) or the Cheekye River (around to the right). Either is possible. The Squamish Timber Co. camp and the beginning of the flume lies between the Brohm River and the Cheekye River. Water for the flume might be more easily taken from the Brohm( closer), but the Cheekye has the steeper gradient. The larger the logs to be flumed, and the steeper the grade, the more water is required.

Lamb's logging camp

Lamb's logging camp. Now present day cemetery.

Research compiled by Eric Andersen, 2011: Lamb Bros. Logging camp ca 1912, on present site of Garibaldi Cemetery. The Company ran a rail car loading operation similar to that of Squamish Timber Co. two miles to the north. The Cheekye log flume crossed this camp site, later occupied by a Japanese logging company.

Logging camp

Logging camp owned and operated by Allan and Charles Barbour - about 1907.

Research compiled by Eric Andersen, 2011: This photo, apparently taken by one of the Magee brothers, shows the construction phase of the flume project. The location is at the west side of the Squamish Timber Company camp, just above the bank of the Brohm River, which is to the left from this scene. It is difficult to tell from the photograph whether the water for the flume is being led from the Brohm River (in the back and to the left of of the photo) or the Cheekye River (around to the right). Either is possible. The Squamish Timber Co. camp and the beginning of the flume lies between the Brohm River and the Cheekye River. Water for the flume might be more easily taken from the Brohm which is closer, however the Cheekye has a steeper gradient. The larger the logs to be flumed, and the steeper the grade, the more water is required.
The log flume was probably used for transporting long cedar shingle bolts, in standard 16-18 foot lengths. These would be boomed in the river, perhaps in the Jimmy Jimmy Slough (Judd Slough), and then delivered elsewhere for manufacturing into roofing shingles.

Squamish Advance: Thursday, June 14, 1951

CONTRACT LET FOR SQUAMISH HOSPITAL

FLOODGATE REPAIRED BY WORK "BEE"

VILLAGE PLANS MORE SIDEWALKS

CHEEKYE BRIDGE BEING REPAIRED

BRITANNIA TO SELL PYRITES IN B.C.

THE CRADLE

WOODFIBRE

BOARD OF TRADE IN BUSY SESSION

TWO INJURED IN FREAK ACCIDENT

STUDENTS TO ATTEND GRADUATION BANQUET

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

B.C. ELECTRIC PLANS BUILDING PROGRAM

LOCAL STORE ADDS NEW STAFF MEMBERS

COUNTING NOISES

CUCKOO CLOCK HOUSE
[PHOTO]

BRACKENDALE

WOODFIBRE

CLASSIFIED ADS

POUNDKEEPER

LEICESTER SQUARE
[PHOTO]

CARSON CHRISTENING
[PHOTO]

WINTER FUN IN SUMMER
[PHOTO]

Squamish Advance

Cheekye as seen from the bridge

Cheekye is from the Indian name for Mount Garibald - in-ch-KAI which means "dirty place". The mountain was so named since dirty snow would result when dust would be blown onto the snowfields from cinder cones and lava. The pioneers adapted this name to the area and river.

Lamb's Logging - Lefurgy Ltd

Lamb's logging - Lefurgy Ltd (Garibaldi & Logging Camp, Brackendale).

Research compiled by Eric Andersen, 2011: Lamb Bros. Logging camp ca 1912, on present site of Garibaldi Cemetery. The Company ran a rail car loading operation similar to that of Squamish Timber Co. two miles to the north. The Cheekye log flume crossed this camp site, later occupied by a Japanese logging company.

Results 1 to 25 of 38