Showing 371 results

Resource
Industry
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

371 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Merrill & Ring Camp, 1927

Looking north.
Photo by: Ed Aldridge.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

Aldridge, Ed

Merrill & Ring Logging Co. Camp

Early 1927 in Valleycliffe. Steam locomotives standing approximately where "townhouses" now stand.
Far left: 14 ton Plymouth gas locomotive foreground: "North-western" speeder - Model T Ford engine.
Right: 50 ton shay Loco #1 1 beam frame.
Arch bar trucks. Behind her with crummies, 50 ton shay #2 (new) girder frame, cast frame trucks. Wagon to boiler. Shays converted to oil burners later in 1927.
Photo by: Ed Aldridge.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

Aldridge, Ed

Cabinet of BC meet in Squamish

The Cabinet of British Columbia met in Squamish on June 23, 1960.

Left to right: Honourable L.R. Peterson, Minister of Education; Honourable W.K. Kiernan, Minister of Mines and Petroleum Development; S.R. Bishop, Chairman of the Village Council; Ed Antosh, Commissioner; Honourable N.P. Steacy, Minister of Agriculture; Honourable E.C.F. Martin, Minister of Health Services & Hospital Insurance; Don Robinson, MLA (SC Lillooet); Honourable W.A.C. Bennett, Premier; President of Council, Minister of Finance; L.C. Kindree, Commissioner; Honourable Lyle Wicks, Minister of Labour.

Merrill & Ring Bridge over the little Mamquam

Merrill & Ring Bridge over the little Mamquam (Mashiter Creek) picture taken looking north showing sky line for taking Pile Driver to north side of canyon (1928 - 1929).
Left to right: Brian Buckley (?), "Big Dave" Thompson (steel boss-track layer), Freddy Tom (Merrill & Ring car builder son), Billy Dawson (?).
Photo by: Ed Aldridge.

Mashiter Creek was named after William Mashiter.

Aldridge, Ed

Loads of logs

Left to right: Dave Thompson, Wilma Ferguson, Henry Ferguson, Charlie Moore.
Merrill & Ring Dump and Brow, 1927. See number 5 in the Ed Alridge Photograph Collection for another view of a load of logs.
Photo by: Ed Aldridge.

Aldridge, Ed

On speeder

Left to right: "Big Dave" Thompson (steel foreman), Wilma Ferguson, Kenny Ferguson, Einear Findsen, speeder driver), Charlie Moore (son of general manager "Old George Moore") seated on speeder.
Photo by: Ed Aldridge.

Aldridge, Ed

Cleveland Avenue

Left to right: Stan Clarke's first gas station, harding's barbershop (Stan Harding lived above), PGE Houses, fire hall (with smoke stack), post office.

Cleveland Avenue, Squamish's main street is named after E.A. Cleveland, the BC land surveyor who drew up the plan of the subdivision of Squamish in 1912. All subsequent surveys have been based on this.

PGE shops - retirement of Harold Bailey, 1951

Left to right, top row: Mr Vogle, Les Moule, Bill Richmond, Owen Reeve, ?, George Appleyard, Fred Barnfield, Bill McAllister, Les Walton, Tommy Gilgan, Russ Lamport, Brian Buckley, ?, Jimmy Harley (in loco).
Third row: Bill Curran, Len Gorsuch.
Second row: Eric Axen, Art Anglin, Ed Aldridge, Jack Frost, Tommy Fowler, Harold Bailey, Don Robinson, Frank King, Rosie Zack, Lil Hutchinson, Christy Wheatley, Mrs Tremblay, Margaret Thorne, Bill Hales, Bob Slack, Harry Brightbill, Bob Bruce, ?, ?, ?, ?, Joe Gault, Joe Mulhern, Bill Riley, Barry Hunt, Cy Marchant, Bill Bazley.
Front row: Jim Taylor, Jim Hurren, Ivo Confortin, Jim Robinson, Tommy Fraser, Bill Gedge.
Dennis or Buzz Downer, ?, ,?, Arnold Kermein.

Evelyn Lamport on Merrill & Ring railroad trestle

Evelyn Lamport on Merrill & Ring railroad trestle (present site is just north of Ayr Drive in Garibaldi Highlands). Built along the face of rock bluffs. Photo taken ~1928 on the way to Alice Lake.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

Results 126 to 150 of 371