Print preview Close

Showing 6472 results

Resource
With digital objects
Print preview View:

Norton-McKinnon Railway

Left to right: Mrs Allen Rae (nee Robertson and would be Mrs Hughie Mills), Minnie Rae, Olive Judd, and Ed Rae on Norton-McKinnon Railway.

In 1911, McKinnon and Norton of the Newport Timber Company were logging in Squamish in the area known as the base camp road, near Curly Lews' place. They had donkeys, a large shay engine, and a weird whistle. Mr McKinnon was a bartender and Mr Norton was a logger. Amedy Levesque and George Laviolette worked as brakemen on the locomotive. The camp was run by Mr Fuller.

At a hop ranch

Herbert Lawson Rae next to horse; Robert Stewart (Bert) Rae on horseback.

Hop farming was Squamish's first major industry. The major producer was Squamish Valley Hop Raising Co. (Bell-Irving Ranch). Hops are perennials and grown about 6 feet apart. They are picked during September and August. Hops are dried and bleached with sulphur in a kiln. In Squamish, Chinese labour was brought in to tend the hops. Local First Nations picked them. They would camp in the area now between Petro Canada gas station and the Cottonwood condominiums. The hops in Squamish were top grade. They were shipped to Vancouver in bales wrapped in Burlap, then shipped to Britain where they were used to make beer.

Brackendale Store on Government Road

The main structure of the Brackendale Store was built in 1916 by Hughie Mills to replace John Jackson's old store which burnt down the year before when a fire started in the upstairs pool hall. The site was originally bought from the Judd family as Lot 6 of their subdivision. During the new store's first year, the upstairs served as a temporary home to the Judd family after their own house burnt down.

Although the appearance of the original store is difficult to see in the store's present form, the basic structure is still apparent when viewed from the back. Regardless of any alterations which have occurred, the Brackendale Store retains heritage value tot he community as a long standing local landmark which has continuously provided service to the community since its early days.

Original use: Store, post office.
Current: Store, post office, restaurant.
Current condition: The store has been seriously altered from its original form.

Mount Garibaldi as seen from Brackendale

Garibaldi Mountain was named for the great Italian nationalist Giuseppe Garibaldi. Apparently, it was named by an Italian serving as a sailor on a survey ship, the mountain being in view on Garibaldi's birthday (July 4).
The 2678 metre tall mountain is a dormant composite volcano. The last series of eruptions occurred 10,000 years ago. It was first climbed in 1907 by J. Trorey, A. Dalton, W. Dalton, C. Warren, A. King, and T. Pattison.

Results 101 to 125 of 6472