Showing 125 results

Resource
Downtown Squamish
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

125 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Street scene, Newport BC

Squamish's name was changed to Newport in 1911 by the H.S. and P.V.N. Railway and was changed back on September 14, 1914 as the result of a contest for school children. The name had to be changed since there was another town in BC named Newport. The twelve final names considered in the contest were: Newport, Strathacona, Prince Arthur, Kingsport, Great Haven, Columbia, Imperial, Squamish, Pacificgate, Bonaventure, and Viveleroi. Squamish is named for the Indian word "Squohomish" (various spellings) meaning "strong wind".

The Harry Billbright home

The Harry Billbright home when it was first built. It was located on 2nd Avenue in the current location of the Credit Union then moved to Stan Clarke Park and used as a Museum.

It was built in 1933 for Harry "Brownie" Brightbill, railway engineer on the "Fisherman's Special" from Squamish to Lillooet. It was constructed by Herb Dawson. The house was purchased by the District during the Mayorship of Pat Brennan. Cause for considerable disagreement in the community at the time, it may be argued that the controversy surrounding that decision has only added to any heritage value the building already had.

In June 2000, the Brightbill house was moved to the West Coast Railway Heritage Park and was one of the first exhibits to open in the new Town Square community area.

Condition: It was well maintained the Squamish Museum where it was housed was closed. There were problems with vandalism.

Original use: Residential home.

The old PGE Hall on Second Avenue

The old PGE Hall on Second Avenue which later became the Hudson House. The grass and trees in the foreground are now parked lots.
Photo by: Mrs Sullivan.

38033 Second Avenue
Now an empty lot, this building was previously the Hudson House and the PGE Hall. It was built as the PGE Hall in the 1930's as a local community hall. Built by railway and community volunteers, the PGE Hall was once the site of basketball games, dances, and other gala community events.

Original Use: Community Hall.
1993 use: Rooming House (Hudson House).
1993 condition: Retained original form without significant alteration. Location among newer buildings left the Hall looking somewhat run down.

Results 101 to 125 of 125