Showing 82 results

Resource
Unknown Photograph Collection English
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

81 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

May Day, early 1960's

Left to right, front row: ?, ?, ?.
2nd row: Marilyn Kashmir, Sharon Hurst, Donna Dorhety, Jileen Drenka, ?, ?, Sheila MacKenzie, Ethel Kennedy, Dallas Arnett, Marcia Seymour.
3rd row: Joan Clark, ?, April Dawson, ?, Clair Minchin, ?, Beth Rhymall, Diane Lassman, Beverly Hill.
4th row: ____ Dapilioni, ?, Janice Hurford, ?, Cathy Olson, Janet Constantine, ?, Heather Peterson.

Merrill & Ring Logging Camp

Merrill & Ring Logging Camp (1926) in the Valleycliffe Area.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

PGE's inaugural train to Squamish

The original photograph was recorded to be from August 28, 1956 and pictured Premier W.A.C. Bennet on the far right.

Additional information from Trevor Mills, 01/2012: This photo is to early for 1956 as the original caption says. The use of sides on a flat car to carry people was outlawed by 1956. The caboose behind the engine had been scrapped by this time. The first run to Squamish was pulled by diesels and not steam. Trevor Mills' father, PGE locomotive engineer Bert Mills who came to Squamish in 1954 following employment with the CPR after arriving from England in 1948. was on the train. This was probably the first through train to Lillooet in 1915. The premier at the time was James McBride.

Mashiter School picture, 1949

Left to right, front row: Mary McCormack, Sheila Dawson, Loys Allot, Helen Zack, Joyce Turnquist, Dorothy Caldwell, Ruth Jordan, Harriet Brightbill.
Second row: Patricia Taylor, Janet Casey, June Frost, Shirley Bazley, Patricia Patterson, Beth Tatlow, Mrs T. Melynsck (teacher).
Third row: Miss Norah Tracey (teacher), Denny McDougall, William Jenkins, James Buchanan, Gilbert Garrison, Ronald Klassen, Bill Thornber, Bill Burgess, Bill Carson.
Top row: Richard Munro, Donald Brownell, Gray Mitchell, Kenneth Dorman, Terry Aldridge, Bob Dent, Graham Valde, Sonny Davis.

Class picture, 1948 - 1949

Left to right, back row: Pete Shore, Dan Munro, Bill Wray, Ed Tutin, Dave Caldwell, Norm Halvorson, Ken Lutz, Glenn Valde.
Middle row: Elsie Klassen, Betty Carson, Del Tatlow, Jack Carson, Lex Ross, Terry Frost, Margaret Boscariol, Shirley Fowler, Christine Nygard.
Front row: Joan Bishop, Anne Confortin, Isabel Buchanan, Iris Klassen, Doreen Hurst, June Confortin, Betty Jordan, Mr A. White.

School photo

Left to right, back row: Mr E. Hayes, Norm Barr, Alan Dent, Norm Halvorson, Jim Buchanan.
Front row: Phyllis Dorman, Phyllis Lewis, Harold Halvorson, Anne Morrison, Eleanor Sullivan, Betty Jordan.

Class picture

Left to right, back row: Victor Martinow (?), Frank Axen, Harold Halvorson, Norm Barr, Jack Stathers.
Front row: Phyllis Dorman, Phyllis Lewis, Aleeta Smith, Mr E. Hayes, Ann Morrison, Rita Houston, Eleanor Sullivan.

Brittannia

The Britannia mountain range was named after the H.M.S. Britannia, a ship of 100 guns built at Portsmouth in 1762. The ship took part in the Battle of St. Vincent in 1797 and in the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 (used as a training ship for naval cadets). Captain Richards named the range circa 1859. Britannia Beach was named for the mountain range.

Brackendale & Cheakamus stage

Brackendale & Cheakamus stage in 1910 (or 1908?), driven by Henry Judd. Judd started with oxen in 1903 and later changed to horses. This pictured incarnation of the stage was known as the "Rapid". In 1912, it was supplemented by a new Garford motor truck. Harry Judd provided transportation services between Squamish Dock and the Cheakamus Lodge at Cheekye -the beginning of the Pemberton Trail.

May Day, 1960 - 1961

Left to right, front row: Flora Downer, Nancy Magee, Cathy Jardine, Elaine Cameron, Gay Bowman, Louise , Rutledge, Sharon Dodd, Roberta Armstrong, ?, ?, Janet Downer, Valerie Bird, Sherry Hurren.
Back row: Gale Kirkwood, Myrna Dawson, Kirsten Birkett, Debbie Hurren, Margaret McLean, Sheila MacKay, Stella Eross, Patsy McConnell, Alison Warwick, Joanne Warwick, ?, Cheryl Hill.

Cleveland Avenue - February 1914

Cleveland Avenue in February 1914. Newpart Hotel on the far left. Construction of MacKenzies far left. Sloughs were filled in by Harry Barnfield, Scott MacDonald, and Lawson Rae in 1926 or 1927.

Results 51 to 75 of 82