Print preview Close

Showing 82 results

Resource
Unknown Photograph Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

81 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

The Chief

This granite monolith is approximately 700 metres high and is second only to Gibraltar in size. It is so named because its outline against the sky forms the profile of a sleeping Indian chief. The profile of a chief's face can also be seen in the rock.

Cheekye as seen from the bridge

Cheekye is from the Indian name for Mount Garibald - in-ch-KAI which means "dirty place". The mountain was so named since dirty snow would result when dust would be blown onto the snowfields from cinder cones and lava. The pioneers adapted this name to the area and river.

Merrill & Ring Logging Camp, 1926

Merrill & Ring Logging Camp (1926) in the Valleycliffe area.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

Cleveland Avenue

Left to right: Stan Clarke's first gas station, harding's barbershop (Stan Harding lived above), PGE Houses, fire hall (with smoke stack), post office.

Cleveland Avenue, Squamish's main street is named after E.A. Cleveland, the BC land surveyor who drew up the plan of the subdivision of Squamish in 1912. All subsequent surveys have been based on this.

The Chief

This granite monolith is approximately 700 metres high and is second only to Gibraltar in size. It is so named because its outline against the sky forms the profile of a sleeping Indian chief. The profile of a chief's face can also be seen in the rock.

Class picture, 1948 - 1949

Left to right, front row: Elsie Klassen, Anne Confortin, Isabel Buchanan, Doreen Hurst, Christine Nygard, Betty Jordan, Mr. A.E. White.
Middle row: Joan Bishop, Betty Carson, Del Tatlow, Jack Carson, Lex Ross, Terry Frost, Margaret Boscariol, Shirley Fowler, June Confortin, Iris Klassen.
Back row: Pete Shore, Dan Munro, Bill Wray, Ed Tutin, Dave Caldwell, Norm Halvorson, Ken Lutz, Glenn Valde.

Results 26 to 50 of 82