Showing 21 results

Resource
Mills, Hugh Henry
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

21 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Group picture

Standing left to right: Jack Habricht, Ed Rae, ?, Minnie Armstrong, Cliff Thorne, Ozzie Rae, ?, Kate Mills, Hugh Mills in 1984 area of Norm Halvorson's home.

Huey Mills and Kate Mills

Huey Mills and Kate Mills (formerly Mrs Allan Rae) sitting in the background. Man in the foreground is unknown.

Research compiled by Eric Anderson, 2011: This photo, apparently taken by one of the Magee brothers, shows the construction phase of the flume project. The occassion is a visit to the site by Hughie Mills' new bride Catherine, the former Mrs Allen Rae, in the Spring of 1910. In this photo, Hughie Mills appears to be giving his wife a tour of the project. Mills was a building contractor in the valley, and very likely worked on the flume construction. The location is at the west side of the Squamish Timber Company camp, just above the bank of the Brohm River, which is to the left from this scene. It is difficult to tell from the photograph whether the water for the flume is being led from the Brohm River (in the back and to the left of of the photo) or the Cheekye River (around to the right). Either is possible. The Squamish Timber Co. camp and the beginning of the flume lies between the Brohm River and the Cheekye River. Water for the flume might be more easily taken from the Brohm( closer), but the Cheekye has the steeper gradient. The larger the logs to be flumed, and the steeper the grade, the more water is required.

In front of Bracken Arms hotel

The Bracken Arms hotel was located on the east side of Government Road, near the Brackendale General Store. A fire destroyed the building in 1914, but the chimney and fireplace still stand today.

Chief Long George, who lived around the turn of the century, always won top prize at John Bracken's turkey shoots.
Back row, left to right: ?, Charlie McKinnon, Fred Downer, ?, Wilfred Rae, ?, Earl Parkest, Lance Bracken (architect who designed this hotel). Front row, left to right: Mr Hickey, Bert Rae, Albert Edwards, ?, Bob Hutchinson, Charlie Clerk, Hughie Mills, Al Armstrong, Chief Long George, Fred Thorne, Tom Brett, Billy Mallett, Mr Blodgett.

Those thought to be in the picture but their positions unknown: Cliff Thorne, Bert Perkins, Harry Judd, Jack Edwards, Wilbie Judd, Fred Magee, John Bracken, Jack Habricht, Charlie Fairman, Jack Greer, and Ralph Brereton.

In front of Bracken Arms hotel

Left to right, back row: ?, Charlie McKinnon, Fred Downer, ?, Wilfred Rae, ?, Earl Parkest, Lance Bracken (architect who designed hotel).
Front row: Mr Hickey, Bert Rae, Albert Edwards, ?, Bob Hutchinson, Charlie Clerk, Hughie Mills, Al Armstrong, Chief Long George, Fred Thorne, Tom Brett, Bill Mallett, Mr Blodgett.

Those thought to be in the picture although position unknown: Cliff Thorne, Bert Perkins, Harry Judd, Jack Edwards, Wilbie Judd, Fred Magee, John Bracken, Jack Habricht, Charlie Fairman, Jack Greer, Ralph Brereton.

Chief Long George, who lived around the turn of the century, always won top prize at John Bracken's turkey shoots.

Squamish Advance: Thursday, November 29, 1951

PIONEER LOCAL RESIDENT PASSES

VETS PENSIONS ARE INCREASED

NOMINATIONS FOR 2 COMMISSIONERS

WOMEN HOLD TEAS FOR HOSPITAL FUND

ELKS CHOOSE NEW OFFICERS

GISELE
[PHOTO]

ON HUNTING TRIP

STRONG WINDS HIT SQUAMISH AREA

LOCAL BASKETBALL TEAMS SPLIT EVEN

BUILDS NEW SPUR

LOCAL AND PERSONAL

LET'S MAKE AN OPERA
[PHOTO]

SNOWMOBILE TO ARRIVE IN DECEMBER

MAIL EARLY

RUTH SPRINGFORD
[PHOTO]

CLASSIFIED ADS

LEGION DANCE

PUBLIC NOTICE

RESIDENTS COMPLAIN ABOUT LACK OF ADEQUETE DRAINAGE

CUCKOO CLOCK
[PHOTO]

BRACKENDALE

LLOYD PERCIVAL
[PHOTO]

COLD SNAP

Squamish Advance

Wilfred Rae behind Huey Mills home or hop farm

Wilfred (Whiff) Rae behind Huey Mills home or hop farm.

Hop farming was Squamish's first major industry. The major producer was Squamish Valley Hop Raising Co. (Bell-Irving Ranch). Hops are perennials and grown about 6 feet apart. They are picked during September and August. Hops are dried and bleached with sulphur in a kiln. In Squamish, Chinese labour was brought in to tend the hops. Local First Nations picked them. They would camp in the area now between Petro Canada gas station and the Cottonwood condominiums. The hops in Squamish were top grade. They were shipped to Vancouver in bales wrapped in Burlap, then shipped to Britain where they were used to make beer.

Yapp's Logging Camp 1910

In 1907, Allan Newton Barbour and his brother Charles came to Squamish and logged using 6 yoke of oxen and took out six 24' logs a "turn" (load). The area logged was near the PGE Shops (by Castle's Crossing), across the river rom the shops, on the Burnt Ground near the cemetery, at Paradise Valley, and about five miles north of Cheekye. 2 to 20 men were employed. It was customary to log close to the river so the logs just had to be dragged into the river and floated to the Howe Sound where they were picked up by the Powell River company tugs and taken up to their mills. Log jams were broken up by men in canoes. Mr McComb was the first to tow logs down the river in a boat. The Barbours would later sell out to Mr Yapp. Mr Yapp's Squamish Timber Company was incorporated on March 21, 1907. In 1910, the Yapp Company cleared the Cheekye area. A steam donkey would haul the logs 400 feet and then an 8 horse team hauled them 1/2 mile on a skid road. Another donkey, called a roader, took the logs to the river. Here the logs followed a log trough. Instead of chokers, logging dogs were used. When the Howe Sound Northern Railway came into Cheakamus, the Yapp company used the train to transport logs to the booming grounds at Squamish. In 1911, a company owned by Mr Lamb took over the Yapp stand of timber.

Research compiled by Eric Andersen, 2011: This photo, apparently taken by one of the Magee brothers, shows the construction phase of the flume project. The occassion is a visit to the site by Hughie Mills' new bride Catherine, the former Mrs Allen Rae, in the Spring of 1910. In this photo, Hughie Mills appears to be giving his wife a tour of the project. Mills was a building contractor in the valley, and very likely worked on the flume construction. The location is at the west side of the Squamish Timber Company camp, just above the bank of the Brohm River, which is to the left from this scene. It is difficult to tell from the photograph whether the water for the flume is being led from the Brohm River (in the back and to the left of of the photo) or the Cheekye River (around to the right). Either is possible. The Squamish Timber Co. camp and the beginning of the flume lies between the Brohm River and the Cheekye River. Water for the flume might be more easily taken from the Brohm( closer), but the Cheekye has the steeper gradient. The larger the logs to be flumed, and the steeper the grade, the more water is required.