Showing 82 results

Resource
Unknown Photograph Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

81 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

1948 - 1949 school picture, Mashiter School

Left to right, back row: Harvey Trudeau, Bob Dent, Wayne Mitchell, Maurice Patterson, Jim Buchanan, Gord Turnquist, Alan Dent, Thor Halvorson.
Middle row: Mary McCormick, Eddy Lewis, Stan Zack, Gil Garrison, George Johnson, Bill Dent, Ron Klassen, Lundy Boscariol, Mr Alex Patterson.
Front row: Pat Taylor, Dorothy Caldwell, Judy Slack, Rose Mary Tremblay, Helen Zack, Ruth Jordan, Lynette Munro, Shirley Bazley, Maureen Todd.

Brackendale & Cheakamus stage

Brackendale & Cheakamus stage in 1910 (or 1908?), driven by Henry Judd. Judd started with oxen in 1903 and later changed to horses. This pictured incarnation of the stage was known as the "Rapid". In 1912, it was supplemented by a new Garford motor truck. Harry Judd provided transportation services between Squamish Dock and the Cheakamus Lodge at Cheekye -the beginning of the Pemberton Trail.

Brackendale store on Government Road

The main structure of the Brackendale Store was built in 1916 by Hughie Mills to replace John Jackson's old store which burnt down the year before when a fire started in the upstairs pool hall. The site was originally bought from the Judd family as Lot 6 of their subdivision. During the new store's first year, the upstairs served as a temporary home to the Judd family after their own house burnt down.

Although the appearance of the original store is difficult to see in the store's present form, the basic structure is still apparent when viewed from the back. Regardless of any alterations which have occurred, the Brackendale Store retains heritage value tot he community as a long standing local landmark which has continuously provided service to the community since its early days.

Original use: Store, post office.
Current: Store, post office, restaurant.
Current condition: The store has been seriously altered from its original form.

Brittannia

The Britannia mountain range was named after the H.M.S. Britannia, a ship of 100 guns built at Portsmouth in 1762. The ship took part in the Battle of St. Vincent in 1797 and in the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 (used as a training ship for naval cadets). Captain Richards named the range circa 1859. Britannia Beach was named for the mountain range.

Cheekye as seen from the bridge

Cheekye is from the Indian name for Mount Garibald - in-ch-KAI which means "dirty place". The mountain was so named since dirty snow would result when dust would be blown onto the snowfields from cinder cones and lava. The pioneers adapted this name to the area and river.

Class picture

Left to right, back row: Thor Halvorson, Pete Shore, Wayne Mitchell, Stan Zack, Alan Dent, Maurice Patterson, Gord Turnquist, Bill Harwood.
2nd row: Bill Wray, Bill Dent, Martha Ingraham, Del Tatlow, Isabel Buchanan, Judy Slack, George Johnson, Jack Carson.
Front row: Iris Klassen, Rose Tremblay, Inez Nygard, Elsie Nygard, Lynette Munro, Lundy Boscariol, Shirley Fowler.
Teacher: Jim Borden.

Class picture

Left to right, back row: Victor Martinow (?), Frank Axen, Harold Halvorson, Norm Barr, Jack Stathers.
Front row: Phyllis Dorman, Phyllis Lewis, Aleeta Smith, Mr E. Hayes, Ann Morrison, Rita Houston, Eleanor Sullivan.

Class picture, 1948 - 1949

Left to right, back row: Ken Lutz, Victor Martinow, Frank Axen, Dan Munro, Glenn Valde.
Middle row: Mr E. Hayes, Norm Barr, Jack Stathers, Harold Halvorson, Lex Ross, Dave Caldwell, Terry Frost.
Front row: Phyllis Dorman, Ann Morrison, Eleanor Sullivan, Christine Nygard, Doreen Hurst, Anne Confortin, June Confortin, Betty Carson, Margaret Boscariol.

Class picture, 1948 - 1949

Left to right, front row: Elsie Klassen, Anne Confortin, Isabel Buchanan, Doreen Hurst, Christine Nygard, Betty Jordan, Mr. A.E. White.
Middle row: Joan Bishop, Betty Carson, Del Tatlow, Jack Carson, Lex Ross, Terry Frost, Margaret Boscariol, Shirley Fowler, June Confortin, Iris Klassen.
Back row: Pete Shore, Dan Munro, Bill Wray, Ed Tutin, Dave Caldwell, Norm Halvorson, Ken Lutz, Glenn Valde.

Class picture, 1948 - 1949

Left to right, back row: Pete Shore, Dan Munro, Bill Wray, Ed Tutin, Dave Caldwell, Norm Halvorson, Ken Lutz, Glenn Valde.
Middle row: Elsie Klassen, Betty Carson, Del Tatlow, Jack Carson, Lex Ross, Terry Frost, Margaret Boscariol, Shirley Fowler, Christine Nygard.
Front row: Joan Bishop, Anne Confortin, Isabel Buchanan, Iris Klassen, Doreen Hurst, June Confortin, Betty Jordan, Mr A. White.

Cleveland Avenue

Left to right: Stan Clarke's first gas station, harding's barbershop (Stan Harding lived above), PGE Houses, fire hall (with smoke stack), post office.

Cleveland Avenue, Squamish's main street is named after E.A. Cleveland, the BC land surveyor who drew up the plan of the subdivision of Squamish in 1912. All subsequent surveys have been based on this.

Cleveland Avenue - February 1914

Cleveland Avenue in February 1914. Newpart Hotel on the far left. Construction of MacKenzies far left. Sloughs were filled in by Harry Barnfield, Scott MacDonald, and Lawson Rae in 1926 or 1927.

Empire Mills - June 1959

In March 1930, Empire Mills planned to merge with the Vancouver firm of Mount Baker Plywood Ltd. They had planned to move the firm's South Westminster veneer plant to Squamish. Due to the possibility of the Forest Service cutting back the boundaries of the Mill's tree farm license, the project did not get past the planning stage. In 1937, Empire Logging employed 20 men and by 1939, they were putting 60,000 - 70,000 board feet of wood in the water per day and employed approximately 30 men.
In the 1940's, Empire Mills acquired a sawmill situated by River Road. It had been built by Gerry Dent in the 1930's. In 1945, Empire Logging had bunkhouses set up in the hotel that used to be owned by the Galbraith's at the water's edge. Empire Logging had its first strike in 1948. Unions had just been formed at this time. John Jacobsen was the foreman for Empire Mills.
Empire Mills applied for tree farm license #38 on July 25, 1951. The application was approved and granted to Empire Mills on June, 15, 1954. The decision was appealed by the provincial cabinet on September 7, 1954.
Empire Logging shut down due to lack of a profitable market in August 1957.
In October 1958, Squamish independent sawmill and logging operators (12 firms) protested the granting of tree farm license #38 to Empire Mills stating that it created a dangerous monopoly. H.H. "Buster" Marks acted as chairman of the logger's group. Empire Milles planned to build a sawmill and plywood and board plant in Squamish if the tree farm license was granted. Council approved allocation of timber for Empire Mills in November 1958. On November 26, 1958, MacMillan Bloedell opposed the tree farm license stating that timber remaining outside the license area would be inadequate for independent loggers. Tree Farm License #38 was again approved to be granted to Empire Mills in January 1960.
In 1960, Kashmir Lumber Company bought Empire Mills' unused mill on River Road.
On June 2, 1961, Tree farm license #38 was granted to Keely and Jacobs of Empire Mills Ltd. A condition of granting the license was that the holder of the license had to build a plywood mill in Squamish to provide a minimum of 25 million board feet of lumber. The contract clause stated that 50% of the production had to be logged by outside contractors. Empire Mills formed a Lumber Division so that a mill could be built as stipulated in the tree farm license.
In 1961, Empire Logging produced 41,500 units of lumber (1 unit = 100 cubic feet).
Empire Mills Co. was bought by Canadian Colleries Resources Ltd. in 1962 and they obtained control of the tree farm license #38 area. They had the conditions of the license changed to building a hemlock sawmill instead of a plywood plant. This change was due to the overproduction of plywood and the resulting slower market.

Results 1 to 25 of 82