Showing 39 results

Resource
Ed Aldridge Photograph Collection
Print preview View:

38 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

3000 feet north of what is now Valleycliffe, 1927

Man on water tank: Jae Basset, Donkey Fireman.
Donkey: 13x15 Williamette Yarder-Loader unit. Weights over 100 tons fully equipped with lines etc.
Spar tree: Merrill & Ring first wetting. Tree topped at 190 feet. Bottom of the tree jumped about 15 feet on skid pads (ends of small logs visible directly under bottom of spar) while top guys hold top of tree in place. Elsie Lund (nee Wilkinson) whose father owned the Squamish Hotel went up this spar in the riggers chair with her Head Digger husband Al to the pass block (top) before the tree was jumped. Account by Ed Aldridge.
Photo by: Bun Yarwood.

Evelyn Lamport on Merrill & Ring railroad trestle

Evelyn Lamport on Merrill & Ring railroad trestle (present site is just north of Ayr Drive in Garibaldi Highlands). Built along the face of rock bluffs. Photo taken ~1928 on the way to Alice Lake.

Merrill and Ring, an American company bought their claim in 1888 for 25 cents per acre. This went from Valleycliffe through the foothills to Brohm Lake. They did not set up in the valley until October 1926. The operation had come from Duncan Bay, before that they had been at Camp O near Alert Bay. Their first camp is where Valleycliffe is located now. They employed 200 people. The hiring was done by Loggers' Agencies in Vancouver. They would fall the trees with cross cut saws then haul the logs with a steam donkey to the train. They used a steam axe to split the wood as machines used only wood fuel at the time.

A lot of Merrill and Ring timber was burnt in a Norton McKinnon fire in 1927. The McKinnon's engine was given as payment. Aloysius McNalley and John Broomquist collected it. The same year, Arthur Edwards assisted in the building of the Merrill & Ring camp at Edith Lake.

In 1929, Merrill and Ring moved their operation across the Mamquam valley to Edith Lake east of Alice Lake. A settlement of 225 men was set up there. Railway track covered the mountainside from Cheekye River southward.

Merrill and Ring closed in 1930 due to the low price of logs during the Depression. Logs were selling from 5 to 6 dollars per thousand. At this time, the logs were hauled by train to the dump at the mouth of the Stawamus River. Merill and Ring started back up in 1932.

Merrill and Ring shut down 3 times in 1937: after New Years due to snow, due to fire season, and in the fall when a bridge over the Cheekye River was washed out. Merrill and Ring left Squamish in 1940.

First full train of logs going south

First full train of logs going south through "Old Camp" on way to dump. Merrill and Ring 0-4-0 14 ton plymouth gas locomotive.
Left to right: Bun Yarwood, ?, Big Dave Thompson, Al Lund, ?, Bill Tourcotte, ?.
May 1927.
Photo by Ed Aldridge.

Aldridge, Ed

First locomotive to come up Howe Sound to Norton & McKinnon logging operation

Left to right: Tommy Dickenson (book keeper), George Percy (superintendent), Pete Olsen (hooktender), Al Lund (head high rigger). Taken in 1927 where South Park apartments now stand.
Engine - 50 ton wood burning shay later converted to oil burner. First locomotive to come up Howe Sound to Norton & McKinnon logging operation. Acquired by Merrill & Ring for fire damage to Merrill & Ring timber when Norton McKinnon had a bad fire. Loco taken out of Squamish to other Merrill & Ring operations and came back to Squamish in late 1927 or early 1927. Shark arrester smoke stack loco.
Information supplied by Ed Aldridge.
Photo by: Bun Yarwood.

In 1911, McKinnon and Norton of the Newport Timber Company were logging in Squamish in the area known as the base camp road, near Curly Lews' place. They had donkeys, a large shay engine, and a weird whistle. Mr McKinnon was a bartender and Mr Norton was a logger. Amedy Levesque and George Laviolette worked as brakemen on the locomotive. The camp was run by Mr Fuller.

Howe Sound Militia Rangers, 1945

Left to right, front row: Art Mathison, Tommy Clarke, Smith Frost (captain) Eric Stathers, Art Thorne, Don Kirkwood, Ed Aldridge.
2nd row: George Smith, Fred Barnfield, Les Moule, Bill Barnfield, Bill Evans, ?.
3rd row: Lonnie Rae's son, George Behrner, Lonnie Rae's son, Harold Stathers, Jim Harley, Bob Slack, Fred Magee.
4th row: Lyle MacPherson, Les Keith, Leo Davis, Buster Marks, Cliff Thorne, Lonnie Rae.

Loads of logs

Left to right: Dave Thompson, Wilma Ferguson, Henry Ferguson, Charlie Moore.
Merrill & Ring Dump and Brow, 1927. See number 5 in the Ed Alridge Photograph Collection for another view of a load of logs.
Photo by: Ed Aldridge.

Aldridge, Ed

Merrill & Ring "2 Spot", 1927

Merrill & Ring "2 Spot" (wood burning) pushing drag out on dump. Charlie Calchan Engineer Boom Camp & Wood Yard. Comments by Ed Alridge: Note wood all gone off tender. Will wood up at wood yard before leaving. Steel gang unload steel of scow - at gridion in foreground.

Photo by: Ed Aldridge.

Aldridge, Ed

Merrill & Ring "4 Spot" gas locomotive at M&R Camp

1929 Merrill & Ring "4 Spot" gas locomotive at M&R Camp, Edith (Baloney) Lake. 13x15 Williamette Trackside Unit (Yarder @ Loader) behind 4 spot. Williamette is pronounced with accent on the Williamette. These (M&R had 2) units 2 cyl. 13x15. Ready for service with all lines etc @ water. Weighed about 100 tons. Ed Aldridge used to move them with the "4 Spot". Comment by Ed Aldridge.
Photo by: Ed Aldridge

Edith Lake was named after Edith Judd (m. Edith Webster), the first white woman to travel to the lake.

Aldridge, Ed

Results 1 to 25 of 39