Showing 23 results

Resource
Squamish Valley Museum (Brightbill House) Photograph Collection Roads and Buildings
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

23 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

King George Hotel

Would become Squamish Hotel and then later the Ocean Port Hotel (37991 Second Avenue).

Although the original building has been altered nearly beyond recognition, the basic structure of the Squamish Hotel was constructed in 1910 as the King George Hotel by W.A. Holland. Like the Brackendale Store, the Squamish Hotel is a building which may hold heritage value to the community not for its present appearance, but for its prominence as a landmark and reference point in the local landscape for over 75 years.

Original use: Hotel, pub.
Current use: Hotel, pub, restaurant, Cold Beer and Wine Store.
Current condition: Nearly unrecognizable from the original form.

Street scene, Newport BC

Squamish's name was changed to Newport in 1911 by the H.S. and P.V.N. Railway and was changed back on September 14, 1914 as the result of a contest for school children. The name had to be changed since there was another town in BC named Newport. The twelve final names considered in the contest were: Newport, Strathacona, Prince Arthur, Kingsport, Great Haven, Columbia, Imperial, Squamish, Pacificgate, Bonaventure, and Viveleroi. Squamish is named for the Indian word "Squohomish" (various spellings) meaning "strong wind".