Showing 8 results

Resource
St. John's Scrapbook Collection
Print preview View:

7 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Church of St John the Divine

Anglican church.

Church of Saint John the Divine, Newport, BC was erected between May 15th and July 1st, 1913. It was officially opened and dedicated on July 20th, 1913 by the Right Reverend A.U. DePencier, Bishop of the Diocese of New Westminster.

This Anglican Church on Sixth Avenue was the only church north of Gibson's Landing for many years. The church served the needs of the entire Christian community from the earliest days when Mr Mashiter alternated his Anglican Sunday services with Presbyterian Minister Dr. Robert Young, to the first Lutheran services in town held there by Reverend C. Guebert in the late 1950's.

For a brief period in the early 1920's, the church boasted fine stain glass windows until the stone-throwing enthusiasm of local children forced their removal. Many of their children now own windows of their own in Squamish.

The church has now been tastefully converted into a Dance Studio.

Original use: Church.
Current: Dance studio.
Current condition: Well maintained, new use as dance studio respects original character.

Church of St John the Divine

Anglican church. Cross and Bell transferred to a new church in November 1976 in Garibaldi Estates.

Church of Saint John the Divine, Newport, BC was erected between May 15th and July 1st, 1913. It was officially opened and dedicated on July 20th, 1913 by the Right Reverend A.U. DePencier, Bishop of the Diocese of New Westminster.

This Anglican Church on Sixth Avenue was the only church north of Gibson's Landing for many years. The church served the needs of the entire Christian community from the earliest days when Mr Mashiter alternated his Anglican Sunday services with Presbyterian Minister Dr. Robert Young, to the first Lutheran services in town held there by Reverend C. Guebert in the late 1950's.

For a brief period in the early 1920's, the church boasted fine stain glass windows until the stone-throwing enthusiasm of local children forced their removal. Many of their children now own windows of their own in Squamish.

The church has now been tastefully converted into a Dance Studio.

Original use: Church.
Current: Dance studio.
Current condition: Well maintained, new use as dance studio respects original character.

Congregation leaving St John the Divine, Thanksgiving 1959

Left to right: Mrs Doris Kennedy with Kathy and Ethel, Mrs Ann Reynolds with daughter Carol, Mrs Betty Robinson (wife of organist), John and Charles Gibbs (in white shirts), Mrs Dulcie Mahood (on steps), Mr Jack Castle (behind her), Reverend Cas Gibbs, Jerry Kennedy (boy on steps in light coat).

This Anglican Church on Sixth Avenue was the only church north of Gibson's Landing for many years. The church served the needs of the entire Christian community from the earliest days when Mr Mashiter alternated his Anglican Sunday services with Presbyterian Minister Dr. Robert Young, to the first Lutheran services in town held there by Reverend C. Guebert in the late 1950's.

For a brief period in the early 1920's, the church boasted fine stain glass windows until the stone-throwing enthusiasm of local children forced their removal. Many of their children now own windows of their own in Squamish.

The church has now been tastefully converted into a Dance Studio.

Original use: Church.
Current: Dance studio.
Current condition: Well maintained, new use as dance studio respects original character.

Interior of St John (Anglican) Church

Original altar windows (1913-1920) donated by "friends in England". Later when they were damaged beyond repair, they were replaced by those that were a memorial to Mrs Mashiter. Organ thought to belong to Mrs Mashiter, used until the present organ was acquired in 1920.

This Anglican Church on Sixth Avenue was the only church north of Gibson's Landing for many years. The church served the needs of the entire Christian community from the earliest days when Mr Mashiter alternated his Anglican Sunday services with Presbyterian Minister Dr. Robert Young, to the first Lutheran services in town held there by Reverend C. Guebert in the late 1950's.

For a brief period in the early 1920's, the church boasted fine stain glass windows until the stone-throwing enthusiasm of local children forced their removal. Many of their children now own windows of their own in Squamish.

The church has now been tastefully converted into a Dance Studio.

Original use: Church.
Current: Dance studio.
Current condition: Well maintained, new use as dance studio respects original character.

Trinity Church - Woodfibre, BC

Last service on September 24, 1972.

Left to right: Mrs Grace Clarke, Mrs Ruth (Frankie) Wilson, Mrs Peggy Barnfield, Woodfibre resident, Mrs Annie Moon, Reverend A.E.W. Godwin, Mrs Daisy Barnfield, Mrs Margery Hammerstrom, Mrs Nancy Rudkin, Mrs Margery Bruce.

Photo by: Bob Bruce.