Forme autorisée du nom
Clarke, George Stanley (Stan)
Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
August 10, 1883 - May 23, 1981
George Stanley Clarke was born on the north coast of Norfolk, England. He came to Canada in 1910 and worked for the CNR in Winnipeg and Edmonton.
In 1920 he moved to Brisbane, Australia and helped build wooden street cars. He returned to Canada in 1926 to the CPR at Field, Ontario. In 1927 he came to Squamish and worked for the PGE for a short time. He went into business for himself building and operating a gas station, the "Shell" at the site of the present post office. He also had a construction business.
From 1930 to 1931, Stan Clarke beachcombed along the Squamish River in order to earn extra money during the Depression. Ed Aldridge would look after his gas station in return for free use of the garage.
In 1934, the gas station was moved to a building he had built in the present downtown location of Kaos Kids (previously Pharmasave drugstore). He lived in an apartment above the station.
Stan retired in 1945 and moved into the house he had built on the site of the present Royal Bank. When the property was sold to Royal Bank, the house was moved to the corner of Garibaldi and Magee Streets.
In 1963, Stan married the former Freda Munro. Stan had been married twice before and had three children, Jack, Peter, and Joan (Knight) with his first wife. Stan and Freda lived in the house on Garibaldi Highlands until he died on May 23, 1981 at age 98.
Norfolk (England), Winnipeg, Edmonton, Brisbane (Australia), Field (Ontario), Squamish
Fonctions et activités
Stan operated a small sawmill on Goat Creek Road. Around 1942, he had a sawmill and logged in the area of Rae Creek.
Stan built the first liquor store and the BC Hydro building. He travelled extensively.
In 1942, Stan became a member of the Cemetary Board. He was also the President of the Squamish Board of Trade in which sponsored Squamish's incorporation as a village (May 18, 1948).
On June 15, 1948, Stan became the chairman of a 3 person committee appointed to act as Board of Commissioners until municipal ections were held. On January 27, 1949, Stan became the first elected Chairman of the Village of Squamish. He was the Chairman until 1956.
Stan advocated the building of a municipal hall and supervised the building of the hall free of charge.
In November 1951, Stan became the first president of the Squamish Hospital Society. In 1952 he designed nurses quarters for the new hospital. In March 1955, he was awarded the Good Citizen Award for 1954.
He was village councellor from 1956 to 1960 and again from 1961 to 1963. He was also the Chairman of Old Age Pensioners. Stan is a life member of the Chamber of Commerce and BPOF.
Textes de référence
Squamish Public Library, Local History reference section. Squamish Files: Prominent Names.
Zone des relations
Zone des points d'accès
Mots-clés - Sujets
Mots-clés - Lieux
Zone du contrôle
Identifiant de la notice d'autorité