- UF Lower Squamish
- UF Newport
125 Resource results for Downtown Squamish
125 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
- CA SQPL 45-001
Mashiter home to the left.
- CA SQPL 16-005
Booming logs in Newport, BC (Squamish, 1904).
Squamish's name was changed to Newport in 1911 by the H.S. and P.V.N. Railway and was changed back on September 14, 1914 as the result of a contest for school children. The name had to be changed since there was another town in BC named Newport. The twelve final names considered in the contest were: Newport, Strathacona, Prince Arthur, Kingsport, Great Haven, Columbia, Imperial, Squamish, Pacificgate, Bonaventure, and Viveleroi. Squamish is named for the Indian word "Squohomish" (various spellings) meaning "strong wind".
- CA SQPL 11-051
- October 1940
During Squamish flood, October 1940.
- CA SQPL 05-035
- October 25, 1909
- CA SQPL 17-038
Hardware store owned and operated by Wallace Kennedy.
Left to right: Russ Lamport, Iona Smith, Alta Lamport, Ed Aldridge, Peggy Blair, Ross Blair.
- CA SQPL 36-004
John Hunter's service station to the left, Bob Ross's service sheds to the right.
- CA SQPL 19-060
Part of Unknown Photograph Collection
Left to right: Stan Clarke's first gas station, harding's barbershop (Stan Harding lived above), PGE Houses, fire hall (with smoke stack), post office.
Cleveland Avenue, Squamish's main street is named after E.A. Cleveland, the BC land surveyor who drew up the plan of the subdivision of Squamish in 1912. All subsequent surveys have been based on this.
- CA SQPL 36-008
Visible on the left hand side of the street (left to right): Yarwood Drugs, Mackenzie's Warehouse, Mackenzie's Store. For a different view of the float see number 9 in Julie Desjarden's Photograph Collection and number 16 in Aleeta Armstrong's Photograph Collection.