"The Chief" photographed in 1912 from the home of E.D. Reeves, the first telegraph operator in Squamish.
This granite monolith is approximately 700 metres high and is second only to Gibraltar in size. It is so named because its outline against the sky forms the profile of a sleeping Indian chief. The profile of a chief's face can also be seen in the rock.
Squamish Public Library, Squamish Files: Place Names.