Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Lamport, Charles Edgar
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1881 - 1968
Charles was born in Port Heron, Ontario. He married Maude Colliday in Flint Michigan (Maudes' hometown) on August 16, 1904. They homesteaded near Hanley, Saskatchewan.
In 1912, they left Saskatchewan. They stayed in Portland, Oregon until they located a home in Squamish. In 1913, Charles came to Squamish with his wife and three daughers: Thelma (Mrs S. Murphy), Sylvia (Mrs A. Musto), and Evelyn (Mrs W. Malm). In Squamish, their other children were born: Alta (Mrs J.E. Aldridge), Vera (Mrs J. Gulewich), Frances (Mrs A.L Pierce), Russel, Aileen (Mrs Hagglund), Esther (Mrs G. Audet), and Mavis Lamport. Betty (Mrs D. Stewart), the 2nd youngest, was born in Vancouver.
Mavis drawned in 1944 at 19 years of age.
Charles retired from the railway at age 65. Mrs Lamport died at age 81 on December 30, 1966 and Charles died in 1968 at 87 years.
Functions, occupations and activities
In 1913, Charles was in the Horse Dray Business hauling material in for the railway. Later he worked at the first sawmill in Squamish. This was owned by Mr Young and was located where the Esso Tank Plant is. Charles also cut shingles bolts for the mill near Brandywine Falls.
In 1916, Charles started working for the PGE railway, working steam shovel in construction. He was injured so he was given the job to fire the stationary steam boiler in the PGE shops. He lived on the corner of 3rd and Winnipeg Street. Charles was a member of the Farmer's Institute and the Bee Association. He raised bees and collected the honey. He did not use the honey, he gave it away.
Mrs Lamport was a charter member of the United Chruch Ladies Aid.
Mandates/sources of authority
Squamish Public Library, Squamish Files: Prominent Names.