Affichage de 264 résultatsfichier d'autorité
- September 27, 1895 - April 8, 1964
Born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.
Olive married William Webster in 1925. He was a baker and then worked in a dairy. He later lived on a soldier's pension after being wounded in World War I. He had been a member of the 72nd Highlanders.
Olive and William and two children: Thomas and Barbara Langstaff.
William died around 1950. Olive died at age 68 on April 8, 1964.
- June 39, 1900 -
Edith was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd. She was married to Geroge Webster. he had come to the Judd's house to find work. He and 3 other young men made an excellent Barbershop Quartet. George was Olive Judd's husband's uncle.
They had 4 daughters: Joyce (Mrs Smith) in 1926, Elaine in 1928, Judy (Mrs Silva) in 1930, and Jnet (Mrs Odenheimer) in 1932. Elaine died in 1949.
- March 11 1862 - June 12, 1948
Fred was born in Hillies, Prince Edward Ontario in 1862 to Sam Thorn and ? Chamberlain (mother). He was the descendent of the United Empire Loyalists who left the U.S.A. after the War of Independence.
In 1881 he filed a homestead in Manitoba. He later returned to his home town and married Cora Emma Terry. In April 1894, He came to Squamish to become manager of clearing and building operations at the Squamish Valley Hope Company.
He and Cora had five children, in order of age: Clifford, Edna, Ella, Doris, and Harold.
In 1914 he started raising short horn cattle at the Squamish Valley Hop Company Ranch. Due to prohibition in the 1920's, hop farming stopped and he rented the farm from its owners and farmed for 10 years.
His wife Cora died in 1946. He then lived with his son until his death at 7:15pm on Saturday 12, 1948.
- April 25, 1915 - July 23, 1998
Rose's maiden name was Rose Ethel Julia Lasser. She was the daughter of Elise Lasser, sister of Freda Clark, Marge Leffler, Bob Lasser, Anne Moore and Lil Neubert. Her father died in a logging accident.
Rose lived near Powell River when she was a baby. Her family moved to Squamish when she was very young. Rose later attended UBC where she obtained her degree in English. During this time she worked as a housekeeper/nanny for a Vancouver family for her room and board.
Rose was predeceased by her daughter Delores Anne Mason in 1969 and her husband Clarence Elmer (Hank) Tatlow in 1981.
Eric Stathers is a long time resident of Squamish and father of Jack Stathers, a stalwart member and past commodore at the Squamish Yacht Club.
- 1923 -
Journalist, author, and MP in Squamish-Lillooet
- 1957 - 1995
Squamish's local paper, The Squamish Advance was bought out by Claude Hoodspith of West Vancouver who also had a paper in North Vancouver. The papers name was changed to The Howe Sound Squamish Times and later the Squamish Times.
- 1948 - 1949
An independent newspaper at Squamish British Columbia, serving the Squamish Valley, Woodfibre and Britannia Beach. When the newspaper began in 1948, it was published once a month then later in 1949, it was published once a week.
The office of the Review is located in the Yarwood Drug Store, Squamish, B.C.
- 1991 - present
The Squamish Chief has been published every week since 1991, serving the community of Squamish with local news, sports, entertainment and other special features.
- 1950 - 1956
The Squamish Advance was a weekly local newspaper located on Cleveland Avenue, next door south of the MacKenzie store.
- ? - January 22, 1956
Charles Sherman Schoonover was born in Austinburg, Pennsylvannia. In 1897 he married Elvira Bump and they homesteaded in North Dokota. They had two daughters, Mary and Mildred (born Jan 3, 1902).
In October 1905 the Schoonovers pre-empted in Upper Squamish (opposite the BC Hydro power house) on 156 acres. They lived in a tiny cabin while their daughter Mary remained with their grandparents in Pennsylvannia. They had son named Robert in 1905 who was delivered by an Indian woman in Squamish.
Charles worked for shingle bolt camps and was a skillful canoeist, hunter, and fisherman. In 1908 the family moved to Brackendale. Charles bought oxen to help clear his land. Charles' daughter Mary moved to Squamish in 1914 and later became Mrs Bruce Wright.
In 1932, he and Elvira moved to a log cabin he had built north of the Brackendale Store. Charles developed a serious heart ailment in his later years and died at age 76.
- February 19, 1841 - February 2, 1928
William was born in Sligo County, Ireland to Peter and Catherine (Lytle) Shannon. Around 1845, the family moved to Lindsay, Ontario and began farming. William went to public school in Lindsay and wanted to become a farmer.
In May 1862, he arrived in California by the Panama route. In 1963, he arrived in New Westminster, BC after working his way up the coast. He became a partner to his brother, Thomas, in a road contracting business. They built Mary Street in New Westminster.
In 1864, he and William Parson bought land on the North side of Lulu Island. He started the first trading post in the south end of the Okanagan country and Kootenay in 1865. In 1866, he took charge of a small party, who started from Big Bend mines on the Columbia River, in order to explore the country. He sold out his partnership.
From 1866 to 1869, he mined at Big Bend, Columbia River, Goldstream, McUllis, French Creek, and Camp Creek. He helped to improve the method of saving fine gold.
In 1868, he began stock raising and farming with his brother Thomas David in Chiliwack. The Shannon family was the first to import Ayreshire cattle from Scotland to BC and introduced purebred Berkshire pigs and Clydesdale horses. Thomas David was the first man to bring New Hampshire chickens to BC.
In 1869, he began fur trading in various areas. He then became interested in cattle ranching in 1870. William drove the first large freight wagon to the Cariboo Mines, Williams Creek, and Barkerville in 1871.
In 1873, he helped form the first municipality on the mainland at Chilliwack, serving as a member of the council. In 1874, he helped the government compose and draft the first municipal act in BC for Chilliwack. Subsequently, he served as a member of the first council.
William was involved in the lumber business from 1876 to 1881. In 1881, he built a farm on the east side of Granville (south of 57th).
He married Eliza Jane McIndoo in 1886. In 1887, he settled in Vancouver and became a real estate broker. His first partner was J.Z. Hall.
His son William Lloyd was born on October 23, 1887. He visited the Squamish Valley in 1888 and declared it to be "fertile and good for settlers". He bought a lot of land in the Valley including the area of Shannon Falls and Darrell Bay.
In September 1888, he formed a partnership with Charles McLachlan in Real estate and insurance as financial agents. The Squamish Valley Hope Raising Co. Ranch was formed in 1891 and he became President.
In July 1894, the Foreman of roads in South Vancouver (J. McRorie) was murdered on Shannon's Place.
In 1899, he wrote "British Columbia and its Resources" and served on the first Grand Jury held in Vancouver.
In 1906, thirty Fraser Valley farmers followed Shannon to farms on Graham Island in the Queen Charlottes. In 1907, William joined George Martin in the firm of Martin and Shannon, owners of land on Sea Island and Potlatch Creek.
William sold 300 acres of land to Mr Sullivan of Surrey for $16,000 on August 2, 1909. He also sold a 40 acre farm to Jonathan Rogers of Rogers Building for $50,000 in cash in 1928.
His son William died on December 26, 1922. William Shannon died on on February 2, 1928 and was buried in Internment Ocean View Burial Park. His wife died at age 77 on June 16, 1932.
Memorials: Shannon Falls, Shannon Park (property part of old Shannon farm. Owned jointly by Park and School Board), and Shannon Road.