Showing 259 results

Authority record

McNeil, Rose

  • RM01
  • Person
  • April 9, 1884 - June 3, 1970

Born Rose Emma Wotruba.

In 1907, Rose pre-empted a homestead on the Cheekeye River with husband, J.B. Tatlow and children Clarence (Hank) and Agnes (would be Mrs Alex MacDonald).

In 1915, Rose divorced J.B. Tatolow and married Bert McNeil. They moved to 2nd Avenue.

Rose lived in Britannia for several years around 1921, including the time of the flood. She returned to Squamish after. Rose died on June 3, 1970 at age 86.

McCarthy, Grace

  • GM01
  • Person
  • October 14, 1927 - present

Grace McCarthy served the Province of British Columbia as an elected member of the Legislative Assembly for over 22 years. When she was Deputy Premier of the Province, she was instrumental in bringing the world fair, Expo '86 to Vancouver . As Minister of Tourism, she spearheaded the building of the Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre at Canada Harbour Place.

Serving as Minister of Social Services, Grace established Canada 's first Hot Line to respond to abused children, and brought the most comprehensive legislation to stop child abuse in the country. As Minister of Economic Development, she began the Asia Pacific Initiative and the Enterprise Centre, precursor to the Internet and oversaw the building of Vancouver 's first rapid transit system “The Skytrain.” Grace lobbied successfully for home-ownership for women. Prior to her efforts, a woman could not be considered for a mortgage without a male guarantor.

Her many honours include the Order of Canada, and the Order of British Columbia as well as Honorary Doctor of Laws from Simon Fraser University, and the University of British Columbia, Order of Distinguished Service Worldwide from the Salvation Army, Honorary Fellow, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, and Variety International's Golden Heart Award.

Grace serves on the Board of Directors of BC Bearing Engineers and appointed to the Council for the Segal Centre for Graduate Management Studies at Simon Fraser University .

Mashiter, William

  • WM01
  • Person
  • June 1, 1850 - January 11, 1938

William Mashiter was born in Woodford County, Cheshire, England and brought up as a farmer. His father was the first Vicar of Woodford.

He left England in May 1870. in 1874 he arrived in Victoria after first travelling to California. He worked in canneries along the Skeena River and took part in the Cassiar Gold Rush. He came to Vancouver via the Lillooet-Squamish tarail and canoed down Howe Sound. He also operated a logging camp on the Fraser River for one and a half years.

William arrived in Granville (now Gastown) in November 1884. He opened a general store in Granville on Water Street. The store burned in the "great fire" on June 13, 1886. By June 16, 1886, he had already rebuilt the store.

Between 1889 to 1890, he rode a sleigh on Marine Drive. He was one of teh two survivors when a tree fell on the sleigh. Four people died.

In 1890, William came up to Squamish and took over the Magee farm. In 1891 he built a store and post office at the foot of Winnipeg Street (present site of the Shell Bulk Plant). It was the only store until 1905. The store had a small dock, "Mashiter's Landing" that was serviced twice weekly by the S.S. Defiance and Saturna. He was the post master until 1903.

William also ran a boat service across the channel to where the Pentecostal Church now stands.

He married Elizabeth Atkinson (from Cumberland, England) in Vancouver on May 21, 1894. In 1902, he sold his business to David Galbraith and went to England for the summer with his wife. During his absence, William Brohm built "Mashiter House". It was a landmark until it was torn down in 1964 to clear the way for Overwaitea (later the location of Fields).

In 1909, school was held in the Mashiter's old store house. In 1915 he donated land and grounds for the first proper school in Squamish (Mashiter School). He remained an official of the School Board for several years.

In September 1925, Mrs Mashiter died at age 78 and was buried in Brackendale. She had been the first president of the Ladies Guild for the Anglican Church.

In the 1930's, he lost most of his property to taxes in the depression. He continued to farm hay until his death.

Memorials: Mashiter Creek, Mashiter School, altar windows and brass plaque in St. John's (memorial to Mrs Mashiter), and a Carved Oak Lecturn (memorial to Mr Mashiter).

Magee, Fred Osborne

  • FM01
  • Person
  • March 29, 1876 - November 1, 1960

Fred Magee was born in Point Grey, BC to Hugh (originally from Ireland) and Isabella (nee Crawford, formerly of Scotland). He came to Squamish in 1895 where his brother George was living. He married Ione Smith (born in 1886) and together they had 5 sons (Fred, Cameron, Leslie, David, and Robert) and 4 daughters (Ione Matheson, Edith Magee, Irene Tite, and Hilda Dublack).

From 1900 to 1910 he owned a second house on Main Street. He had a dairy farm where Weldwood Sawmill is now located.

In November 1904 he packed equipment from Squamish to the fish hatchery at Owl Creek. He later herded cattle to railway construction camps from Squamish to Pemberton.

Fred died and was bured in Squamish on November 1, 1960. Ione Maee died at age 87 on October 4, 1974.

Mackenzie, Roderick

  • RM02
  • Person
  • January 5, 1868 - April 29, 1957

Roderick Mackenzie was born in Scotland. He was the son of Murdo Mackenzie.

Around 1899, he served with the Highland Regiment in South Africa during the Boer War. He was a close friend of Indian leader, Mahatma Ghandi. He sold goods by ox-cart in anti-British sectors of South Africa.

Roderick married Elizabeth Maclagan and settled in North America in 1908. In 1912, he came to the "boom town" of Squamish and bought a lot on Cleveland Avenue (in the later location of the IGA parking lot) for $2000. On this land he established a men's clothing store in partnership with Bob Fraser. This was the first of his department store chain. When the land boom ended, he purchased the adjoining lot for $50. The store completely burned down in 1917. Roderick purchased the building across the street and started to rebuild on the old store's site.

In 1918, Roderick opened a store in Williams Lake. He would later live in Williams Lake for many years becoming a charter member of the Board Trade, a prominent member of the Masonic Lodge and chairman of the War Memorial Hospital there.

Roderick later bought out Lake's store (located where the IGA would later be) that sold groceries and clothing. He returned to his rebuilt store when the man who owned the Lake's property raised the rent. He added a lean-to to the old store in order to include a grocery department. He later returned to the site of the Lake's store as the owner.

In 1921, his business in Williams Lake burned down. It was later rebuilt.

In 1928, he represented the Cariboo in the Provincial Legislature from 1928 to 1932. He became known as the "Laird of the Cariboo".

His store opened in Wells in the 1930's. During the floods in Squamish, Mackenzies' always provided supplies of ready to eat foods for the town's flood victims. He helped the war effort in 1944 by producing carloads of hogs for export. His ranch was the old Squamish Valley Hop Company ranch.

The Wells store closed in 1951 and Roderick added fifty feet to the store on Cleveland Avenue.

In 1954, Roderick's son, Alistair, took over the Squamish store.

Roderick's wife died in March 1957. Roderick died at 89 years of age on April 29, 1957.

The Mackenzies Shopping Center closed on March 16, 1966. It had been run by Roderick's son, Alistair. The store was later replaced by the IGA.

MacDonald, Scott

  • SM01
  • Person
  • 1897 -

Scott MacDonald was born in 1897 30 miles outside of Halifax in Nova Scotia. In 1912, he arrived in Squamish with his parents Duncan and Isobel MacDonald and his three brothers Alex, John, and Allen. In 1915 his forth brother Norman was born. They settled where Jimmie Niel's farm was.

In 1913 he was hired as a faller for the "French Boys". He would also be a high rigger at various logging camps and work for public works building a road to Upper Squamish.

On December 23, 1926 he married Mildred Schoonover and they lived in the PGE shop houses. He worked for the PGE as a trainman from 1928 to 1926 when he retired after 28 years of service. Scott and Mildred have also lived in the Schoonover's log cabin and 38890 Bowen Avenue.

MacDonald, Mildred

  • MM01
  • Person
  • January 3, 1902 -

Born in Pennsylvannia to Charles and Elvira (nee Bump) Schoonover, Mildred's family moved a tiny cabin to Upper Squamish (opposite the BC Hydro power house) on 156 acres. She had an elder sister Mary who stayed with her grandparents in Pennsylvannia until she joined the family in Squamish in 1914, later becoming Mrs Bruce Wright. Her younger brother Robert was born in Squamish 1905 and was delivered by an Indian woman.

Mildred married Scott MacDonald on December 23, 1926 and they lived in the PGE shop houses. Scott MacDonald worked for the PGE as a trainman from 1928 to 1926 when he retired after 28 years of service. Scott and Mildred have also lived in the Schoonover's log cabin and 38890 Bowen Avenue.

MacDonald, Isobel

  • IM01
  • Person
  • 1874 - February 19, 1949

Isobel was born in Glencoe, Nova Scotia. She was married to Duncan MacDonald and had four boys: Alex (December 1894), Johnny (May 28, 1895), Scott (June 29, 1896), and Allan (March 9, 1912).

Isobel came to Squamish with her husband and four sons in 1914. They had their fifth son in Squamish (Norman, 1915).

Isobel died at the age of 77 on February 19, 1949.

MacDonald, Harry Norman (Norm)

  • NM01
  • Person
  • 1915 - January 24, 1977

Norman was born in Squamish in 1915. He was the fifth of five sons (John, Alex, Scott, and Allan). He graduated from high school in Squamish around 1933.

Norm left Squamish to go east for a career in the aircraft industry from 1933 to 1944. He started out as a pontoon builder. Later, he worked as an aircraft inspector at Winnipeg, Montreal, and Amherst for the "Canadian Car and Foundary" and "MacDonald Bros Aircraft".

Norman married in Amherst in 1945. He came back to Squamish to live with his son Bill and daughters Heather (Mrs D. Tresierra) and Mrs G. Griffin. He worked in the logging industry and bought land from James Day.

In 1948, he worked for John Drenka of Howe Sound Timber. Norman began to work for Squamish Mills in 1949. He had this job until his death.

Norman died at age 61 on January 24, 1977.

Love, Henry (Hank)

  • HL01
  • Person
  • Mary 24, 1861 - October 21, 1963

Hank was born on Boblo Island on the Detroit River. He logged in Ontario as well as the the Southern United States. He was a strong liberal all his life. In the 1978 election, he voted twice; in Canada and the States.

He arrived in BC in 1900 with a survey party. In 1917, he came to Woodfibre where he worked as head boom man. He retired from Woodfibre in 1942.

In 1947, he moved to Squamish and lived in the home of Mrs M.G. Armstrong.

It was rumoured that when his doctor told him it give up smoking and drinking in 1958, he cut down to 3 shots of rum a day.

He applied for his last hunting license in 1958 and was given it "on the house".

Hank went blind in 1961. He would have his friends lead him to the polls on election day.

Hank died on October 21, 1963 as Squamish's oldest resident at 102 years old.

Results 51 to 75 of 259