Showing 262 results

Authority record

Habricht, Jack

  • JH01
  • Person
  • 1875 - August 2, 1930

Jack Habricht was born in Poland in 1875. He came to Canada in the late 1890's and worked on the Skeena River Boats and Grant Trunk Pacific Line.

In 1896 he came to Squamish. He lived in a cabin at the base of Hospital Hill (above Merrill and Ring Campsite). Jack trapped and prospected in Squamish and the Indian River area. He also had a mining property by Goat Creek.

Jack shot himself and died on August 2, 1950. Habricht Mountain is named after him.

MacDonald, Scott

  • SM01
  • Person
  • 1897 -

Scott MacDonald was born in 1897 30 miles outside of Halifax in Nova Scotia. In 1912, he arrived in Squamish with his parents Duncan and Isobel MacDonald and his three brothers Alex, John, and Allen. In 1915 his forth brother Norman was born. They settled where Jimmie Niel's farm was.

In 1913 he was hired as a faller for the "French Boys". He would also be a high rigger at various logging camps and work for public works building a road to Upper Squamish.

On December 23, 1926 he married Mildred Schoonover and they lived in the PGE shop houses. He worked for the PGE as a trainman from 1928 to 1926 when he retired after 28 years of service. Scott and Mildred have also lived in the Schoonover's log cabin and 38890 Bowen Avenue.

Douglas, Charlie

  • CD01
  • Person

An "old-timer" who lived at the K-YAU-tain reserve in the early 1900's.

Charlie Douglas is Ernie Harry's grandfather. He lived at this reserve and worked as a logger for Al Barbour.

Jack, August

  • AJ01
  • Person
  • 1877 - June 14, 1967

Chief August Jack was a notable Squamish Indian who was an experienced Indian guide, trapper, logger, a talented canoe builder, and one of the last of the medicine men and traditional Indian dancers. In addition to this, he was also one of the last of the Squamish Indians to perform the "rituals of manhood" that qualify you as a true Indian brave. This involved a young man going into the mountains to fast and meditate until one was "visited by the spirit".

August Jack was born at the False Creek Indian Reserve of "Snauq" (c 1877), an area later called "Kitsilano" in honour o fhis grandfather (his father's father), Chief Khahtsahlanogh. August Jack was the son of Supple Jack ("Khay-Tulk" of Chaythoos) and Sally ("Owhaywat", who originally was from a village in Squamish). Old Chief Khahtsahlanogh had migrated from his ancestral home at Toktakamic on the Squamish River and settled at Chaythoos.

Supple Jack died the day August Jack was born. His mother remarried Shinatset (Jericho Charlie whose first wife's name was Menatlot for the first years of his life.

August Jack lived at the village of Snaq until the reserve land was bought by the government in 1913. He, along with many other Squamish Indians from this village, moved up to the reserve in Squamish. In Squamish, prior 1900, patronymic of his grandfather was conferred upon him and that of "Khaytulk" upon his brother Willie. He later moved back to Vancouver to the North Vancouver reserve where he became an honoured elder and skilled carver.

In 1938 he renounced the name Jack and became August Jack.

He married Swanamia (Mary Anne) and they would have 5 children: Emma, Celestine, Wilfred, Irene, and Louise. Louise now lives in the home in Squamish (Kowtain Reserve) that the band arranged for August Jack and Swanamia to move into in 1961. August Jack remained here until his death (June 14, 1967) at age 91.

Barbour, Charles

  • CB01
  • Person
  • 18?? - July 1, 1940

Charles Barbour was born in New Brunswick to Robert Barbour and ? Newton (both originally of Scotland). His stepdaughter Beebe Fowles (would be Mrs Ruddock) was born on August 16, 1895. He later married Dora Woodward.

In 1900, he came to the west coast with his brother Allan. They would own logging operations together in Squamish.

His family came to Squamish in 1901. Charlie Woodworth Barbour was born on January 27, 1905. On May 24, 1906, he brought his wife and stepdaughter up the Pemberton trail by horseback (they had come to Squamish on the Defiance). He had bought land from Sylyanus Pettit. It was reported that Dora and Beebe were the first white woman and child to go up that trail.

In 1907, he came to Squamish with his brother Allan to log. On March 26, 1907, Reba Alexandra (would be Mrs Johnson) was born.

Charles Barbour later lived in Vancouver while the Barbour home in Pemberton was used as a stopping house, first by the Bauers, and then by McLauchlan (Charles Barbour's nephew).

In 1913 he returned to Pemberton with his family.

Barbour, Allan Newton

  • AB01
  • Person
  • September 3, 1869 - October 26, 1953

Allan Barbour was born in New Brunswick to Robert Barbour and ? Newton, both of Scotland. In the early 1900's, Allan and his brother Charlie came to the coast. He worked in the Fraser Valley for two years before the Barbour brothers came to Squamish in 1907. He homesteaded across from the current railway shops.

In 1915, Allan Barbour married Kathleen Boyle. The first of their four children was born in 1916 (Richard). Later on they had Howard, Kenneth, and Kathleen (Mrs Lacey).

Al Barbour retired in 1935 and he died later that year on October 26 at age 84.

Barbour, Kathleen

  • KB01
  • Person
  • 1889 - January 11, 1974

Kathleen Boyle was born in Waterford, Ireland as a direct descendant of Sir Richard Boyle, the first Earl of Cork whose son, Robert Boyle, became world famous Irish philosopher acclaimed as the "Father of Chemistry".

She arrived in Canada aboard the Virginian (one of the ships called to aid the Titanic). She lived in Vancouver for a short time and then moved to Squamish. In 1915, she met and married Allan Barbour. Together they had 4 children: Ken, Richard, Howard, and Kathleen (Mrs Lacey).

In 1930, Kathleen and her husband moved to Kerrisdale where she served 3 terms as president of the Women's Auxiliary of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 30. They lived near St. Mary's Church.

Her husband died on October 26, 1953 and she died at age 83 on January 11, 1974.

Barnfield, Alfred Pinneger

  • AB02
  • Person
  • October 30, 1866 - September 24, 1960

Alfred was born in Wittshire, England to Edward and Ann (nee Pinnegar) Barnfield.

He was a preemptor on the Lillooet River and was one of nine men to clear, replace bridges, and improve the grade on the 60 mile Squamish-Pemberton trail (April - July 1891).

In 1897, he helped John Currie attempt to drive his animals over the Howe Sound trail. The drive was a great failure. During the summer of 1897, he explored for minerals down Lillooet Lake. In 1897 he went to Blackwater, or Birkenhead to explore for copper.

Alfred came to Squamish prior to 1905. His name ppears in the a Hotel register in 1903, however he states he is from Vancouver and later Green Lake. He later signs himself as coming from Squamish.

On August 1, 1910, he married Daisy Eck Hotchkiss and they went to England on their honeymoon. They lived at Alta Lake and had four children (Charles, Fred, William, and Vera). Their son Charles, born in 1920, died overseas.

In 1924 he moved to Squamish on Wilson Crescent. He had traded land at Alta Lake with the PGE.

Baynes, Edgar George

  • EB01
  • Person
  • 1870 - November 5, 1956

Edgar Baynes was born to Harriet Amelia and George Baynes on Fens Farm in Brocking, Essex England. He had 5 brothers and sisters: Hetty, Kate, Alfred, Jim, and Lila. He and his family moved to Stisted Hall, Essex in 1874 and were educated at Braintree Board School.

Edgar ran away from home in 1883 and joined a firm of builders in 1884. He spent 5 years learning the building trade.

On April 4, 1889, he left for Liverpool on the S.S. Sarnia for Halifax as an apprentice to Mr Joseph Franklin. He arrived in Halifax on the 14th, took a train to Vancouver, and arrived in Vancouver on the 22nd.

On March 7, 1890, he left for Squamish from Vancouver at age 19 with his friends Harry Judd and A.J. (Bert) Crysler and their friend Drummond. They left in a sailboat that Crysler and Judd had made. He pre-empted on an island in the Squamish River, now known as Baynes Island (in the area of an Indian graveyard).

In 1892, Edgar left Squamish to become a carpenter in Vancouver. During his time he placed long firm beams in the Christ Church Cathedral.

In 1893, he established Baynes and Horie Construction Company with William Horie. The office was in the Baynes house at 634 East Georgia. They would build many of the early buildings on Water and Cordova Streets and more schools than any other contractor in the province. His company also got a contract to erect Entrance Island Lighthouse near Nanaimo (paid $2308).

On April 15, 1899, he married Margaret Anderson McAlpine in First Presbyterian Church at Gore and Hastings. She was born at Lindsay, Ontario in 1874 and came to BC in 1889.

In 1901, he took a trip back to England to see his family. His first two children, Doris Lillian (Mrs Ewart Woolliams) and Jean Hetty (Mrs Alan King) were born between 1901 and 1905.

In 1906, Edgar organized and became president of Port Haney Brick Company. His family moved from West Pender to Fairview (1200 West Broadway) to a house he had built. His other children, Ted and Margaret (Mrs Harry Cannon) were born here.

By 1907, Baynes and Will Horie owned Hany Brick Co. which would continue to run for 70 years (the only brick company in BC to do so). They supplied drain tile for the Fraser Valley and partition tile for the larger buildings in the province. It ceased production in July 1977.

Baynes and Horie built the factory building for Canadian Carbonated Co. from 1909 to 1910. In 1913, he built Grosvenor Hotel (840 Howe). He had to take over ownership himself during the depression that preceded World War I. He was the largest shareholder and operated it until his death. His family continued to manage it until 1973 when it was sold to Dutch family interests.

In 1925, he built the Douglas Lodge on Stewart Lake at Fort St. James and operated it for many years.

In 1946, Edgar was involved in a scandal where $28,000 was missing from the books at Grosvenor Hotel. Baynes charged his accountant Frederick Denis Whyte with theft. Whyte accused his employer of ordering him to "fix the books".

He died at age 86 in 1956. Mrs Baynes donated the house at 1200 West Broadway to the YMCA. The gift included 100 feet of land on Broadway and 125 feet on Alder. The YCMA bought an additional 50 feet on Broadway in 1968 for $28,000. This was used as a home for teenage girls and a cooperative for single parents. It was also Vancouver's first Indian center (1963), a day center housing Dutch immigrant families, and as a temporary main YWCA headquarter. The terms of the gift was that the YWCA had to keep the house for 20 years. It was used. In 1977 the house sold for $650,000. The money was used to help finance YWCA programs.

Mrs Baynes died in 1967. She had been living in the Arbutus Private Hosital.

Bracken, John

  • JB01
  • Person

John Bracken was born in England. He came to Squamish in 1905 with his two sons, Richard and Lance. He was a remittance man.

In Squamish he built an "everything" store and a post office. He was the first postmaster in Brackendale.

He built the Bracken Arms, a hotel with a store and a post office prior to 1908. It was located on the East side of Government Road, south of the present Brackendale store. He used to fine people 25 cents for learning back and resting a chair on its two back legs.

In Spring 1912, the Bracken Arms Hotel burned down when a patron in an upstairs room overturned a coal lamp. The chimney was all that ws left standing.

Brohm, William

  • WB01
  • Person

William was born in Germany. He moved near Cheakamus around 1894. He brought his daughter from Germany and she would later marry Johnny Smedley.

He built the Mashiter house around 1902.

Memorials: Brohm Creek, Brohm Lake, Brohm Ridge.

Edwards, Jim

  • JE01
  • Person

Jim was born to William and Mary (nee Tompkins) Edwards.

He arrived in Squamish in 1894 on the Saturna. He brought lumber up for Henry Judd's new home. Judd was about to marry Jim's sister, Barbara Anne.

Harry Judd married Barbara Anne Edwards in Vancouver on December 26, 1894. Later in 1904, Jim married Rilla Judd (Harry's sister). This was the first white marriage in the Squamish Valley and took at the bride's home. The bridesmaid was Martha Wright (daughter of school teacher John Wright). The best man was Wilby Judd (Rilla's brother). They had 3 daughters, in order of age: Ethel, Edith, and Nina (changed her name to Merna when she was about 30).

Jim's brother, Jack, came to Squamish in 1908 with his wife. They had come from Manitionlin Island, Ontario. His wife's maiden name was Elizabeth Hawkins.

Galbraith, David

  • Person
  • March 16, 1861

David Galbraith was born in St. Mary's, Ontario (1858). He married Laurie Green (born in 1868) and arrived in Gastown on December 1884. Their first daughter Doris was born in Agassiz on September 5, 1895. In 1896 they moved to Harrison River. He built a store and boarding house.

His second daughter, Jean, was born at Harrison Mills in 1897. In 1901 he sold the store and boarding house to Mr Kilby.

In 1902, he came to Squamish to build the first hotel. He bought a store from Mashiter. The family arrived in Squamish in 1906. That year he also built the Cheakamus House, a hunter's lodge by the Cheakumus River (across from the present location of Fergie's), with Dutch Charlie ("Cheakamus Charlie") who operated it. His third daughter, Isobel (Widge) was born in this hotel (she would be Mrs Stan Blake). The Cheakamus House was destroyed by a flood in 1940.

In 1912, he built a store called Squamish Interiors (north of Shell Station) that would later be the Adams & Adams store.

Doris married Frank Buckley on October 11, 1914. They were the first couple married in a church in Squamish.

Mrs Galbraith died in March 1944. There was a memorial of Brass Vases and Collection Plate in the Anglican Church.

Jean (Mrs Angus McRae) won the Good Citizenship Medal in 1950 for her work as a nurse. The same year the Galbraith Hotel was sold to Empire Mills for $14,000 and used as a bunkhouse. The hotel was used to film the movie "Presbyterian Church Wager". In the early 1970's, the hotel was used to film the movie "McCade and Mrs Miller". It was demolished in 1973.

David died at age 89 on February 26, 1951. Jean's husband died in 1964. Jean Galbraith McRae died in Burnaby on January 25, 1976. Doris Galbraith Buckley died on January 7, 1978.

Herres, Peter

  • PH01
  • Person

Note: Herres is often misspelt as "Harris" or "Harries"

Peter had a brother named Matt. He came to the Squamish Valley in 1900. He lived in Upper Squamish on the Pilchuck River. He had 5 children, in order of age: Lizzie (Mrs Bill Turcotte), Mary, Belle, Ethel, and Jean. He later moved to Brackendale to farm in an area of Easter Seal Camp so that his children could go to school.

Lizzie died in 1926.

Harris Creek (now known as Meagre Creek) was named after him as a memorial.

Holland, W.A.

  • WH01
  • Person

W.A. Holland came to Squamish in 1910. He built a poolroom over McKinnon's restaurant. He also built the King George Hotel (which later became the Squamish Hotel). He sold the King George Hotel in 1912.

Farquharson, Dorothy

  • DF01
  • Person
  • April 7, 1913 -

Dorothy was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwarsd) Judd on April 7, 1913. She was married Rob E. Farquharson and they lived in the old Judd home on Judd Road. She gave birth to her daughter Ellen (Mrs Grant) in 1940 and son Graeme in 1944.

Judd, Earl Thomas

  • EJ01
  • Person
  • March 6, 1898 - June 1, 1969

Earl Thomas was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd in Vancouver. When he was 6 weeks gold, he got bronchial pneumonia (April 1898). He was so ill that his parents brought him to Vancouver in a Dug-out canoe on a stormy night.

In 1913 he hauled a steam donkey on the Squamish River 2 miles above the Cheekye with Jimmy Neil.

He married Gweyneth Grey Griffith (born in Clysach, Wales on June 11, 1900 to John Phillip and Gertrude Maude Grey). They had two children: Gwenyth E. (Mrs Bruce Kingham) and Phillip H. (wife named Betty).

Earl Thomas cut wood for the steam donkey used by Stoltz Logging from 1937 to 1940.

His died in Squamish at age 61 on March 23, 1962. He died at age 71 on June 1, 1969.

Herndl, Myrtle

  • MJ01
  • Person
  • August 7, 1906 -

Born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.

Myrtle married Mr Hendl. Their son Wilfred was born around 1928.

She lived at Edith Lake.

Webster, Olive

  • OJ01
  • Person
  • September 27, 1895 - April 8, 1964

Born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.

Olive married William Webster in 1925. He was a baker and then worked in a dairy. He later lived on a soldier's pension after being wounded in World War I. He had been a member of the 72nd Highlanders.

Olive and William and two children: Thomas and Barbara Langstaff.

William died around 1950. Olive died at age 68 on April 8, 1964.

Judd, William Henry

  • WJ01
  • Person
  • March 1, 1897 - January 1919

William Henry was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.

William Henry joined the army around 1917 after the fire at the Judd house. He was later discharged from the army. After he came home he got the Asian flu. He was sick for one week and died in January 1919.

Mashiter, William

  • WM01
  • Person
  • June 1, 1850 - January 11, 1938

William Mashiter was born in Woodford County, Cheshire, England and brought up as a farmer. His father was the first Vicar of Woodford.

He left England in May 1870. in 1874 he arrived in Victoria after first travelling to California. He worked in canneries along the Skeena River and took part in the Cassiar Gold Rush. He came to Vancouver via the Lillooet-Squamish tarail and canoed down Howe Sound. He also operated a logging camp on the Fraser River for one and a half years.

William arrived in Granville (now Gastown) in November 1884. He opened a general store in Granville on Water Street. The store burned in the "great fire" on June 13, 1886. By June 16, 1886, he had already rebuilt the store.

Between 1889 to 1890, he rode a sleigh on Marine Drive. He was one of teh two survivors when a tree fell on the sleigh. Four people died.

In 1890, William came up to Squamish and took over the Magee farm. In 1891 he built a store and post office at the foot of Winnipeg Street (present site of the Shell Bulk Plant). It was the only store until 1905. The store had a small dock, "Mashiter's Landing" that was serviced twice weekly by the S.S. Defiance and Saturna. He was the post master until 1903.

William also ran a boat service across the channel to where the Pentecostal Church now stands.

He married Elizabeth Atkinson (from Cumberland, England) in Vancouver on May 21, 1894. In 1902, he sold his business to David Galbraith and went to England for the summer with his wife. During his absence, William Brohm built "Mashiter House". It was a landmark until it was torn down in 1964 to clear the way for Overwaitea (later the location of Fields).

In 1909, school was held in the Mashiter's old store house. In 1915 he donated land and grounds for the first proper school in Squamish (Mashiter School). He remained an official of the School Board for several years.

In September 1925, Mrs Mashiter died at age 78 and was buried in Brackendale. She had been the first president of the Ladies Guild for the Anglican Church.

In the 1930's, he lost most of his property to taxes in the depression. He continued to farm hay until his death.

Memorials: Mashiter Creek, Mashiter School, altar windows and brass plaque in St. John's (memorial to Mrs Mashiter), and a Carved Oak Lecturn (memorial to Mr Mashiter).

Mills, Hugh Henry

  • HM01
  • Person
  • 1886 - November 23, 1951

Hugh came to Squamish in 1891 to build barns for George Magee. He also built the Newport Hotel and several other houses.

He married Catherine (Kate) Rae in 1912 after her husband died. He built a house on the 1984 site of Norm Halvorson's land.

He died at age 85 on November 23, 1951.

The Newport Hotel burned down in 1956. It would later be replaced by the current Chieftain Hotel.

Neil, James Mathew

  • JN01
  • Person
  • September 4, 1873 - December 6, 1953

James Neil was born in Ontario. His father was Mathew Neil.

In 1900, he married Jean Matheson. Before coming to Squamish in 1907, he worked for many logging companies. In Squamish, he worked as a donkey "puncher".

He had a son named James Douglas.

In 1914, he logged with Earl Judd. Together they hauled a steam donkey on the Squamish River (2 miles above Pemberton).

He died at age 80 on December 6, 1953.

Paddy, George

  • GP01
  • Person

George arrived in Squamish Valley around 1894. He married William Mashiter's niece, Thursa.

In 1907, Howe Sound Pemberton Valley Northern Railway bought his 42 acre island.

Rae, Herbert Lawson

  • LR01
  • Person
  • June 15, 1894 - December 17, 1958

Herbert Lawson was born in the North Yards area of Squamish to Allen and Kate Rae. He was a student in the first school. Around 1819, he joined the army and was assigned to Siberia. He later married Clara Lillian Nicholls, a teacher and the neice of Emily Carr. Clara was born on March 7, 1891 in England to Richard Nicholls and Clara Carr. They would have 6 children. The five that were alive in 1983 were Louise Riis, Herbert, Donny, David, and Betty Lorenz.

In the 1920's, Lawson was Government Road foreman when the road to Britannia was built. At one time he was Public Works Foreman. He was also a Dairy Farmer.

When Lawson died in December 1958, he had the only farm in active use in the Squamish Valley. His wife Clara died in 1976

Results 101 to 125 of 262