Showing 257 results

Authority record

Squamish Chief

  • SC02
  • Corporate body
  • 1991 - present

The Squamish Chief has been published every week since 1991, serving the community of Squamish with local news, sports, entertainment and other special features.

Squamish Times

  • ST01
  • Corporate body
  • 1957 - 1995

Squamish's local paper, The Squamish Advance was bought out by Claude Hoodspith of West Vancouver who also had a paper in North Vancouver. The papers name was changed to The Howe Sound Squamish Times and later the Squamish Times.

Shoonover, Charles Sherman

  • CS01
  • Person
  • ? - January 22, 1956

Charles Sherman Schoonover was born in Austinburg, Pennsylvannia. In 1897 he married Elvira Bump and they homesteaded in North Dokota. They had two daughters, Mary and Mildred (born Jan 3, 1902).

In October 1905 the Schoonovers pre-empted in Upper Squamish (opposite the BC Hydro power house) on 156 acres. They lived in a tiny cabin while their daughter Mary remained with their grandparents in Pennsylvannia. They had son named Robert in 1905 who was delivered by an Indian woman in Squamish.

Charles worked for shingle bolt camps and was a skillful canoeist, hunter, and fisherman. In 1908 the family moved to Brackendale. Charles bought oxen to help clear his land. Charles' daughter Mary moved to Squamish in 1914 and later became Mrs Bruce Wright.

In 1932, he and Elvira moved to a log cabin he had built north of the Brackendale Store. Charles developed a serious heart ailment in his later years and died at age 76.

Squamish Advance

  • SA01
  • Corporate body
  • 1950 - 1956

The Squamish Advance was a weekly local newspaper located on Cleveland Avenue, next door south of the MacKenzie store.

Squamish Review

  • SR01
  • Corporate body
  • 1948 - 1949

An independent newspaper at Squamish British Columbia, serving the Squamish Valley, Woodfibre and Britannia Beach. When the newspaper began in 1948, it was published once a month then later in 1949, it was published once a week.

The office of the Review is located in the Yarwood Drug Store, Squamish, B.C.

Midnight, Charles Sr

  • CM01
  • Person
  • April 1872 - March 5, 1949

Charles was born in Austria but emigrated from Italy. He married Alice Claire Smith, daughter of railway roadmaster Hugh Smith in Massachusetts on August 24, 1904.

Charles Midnight Jr was born in 1907. He would become an engineer on the railway. Charles Midnight Senior had 14 children in total, including Hazel Armstrong.

Charles came to Squamish around 1919 and lived in both Squamish and Cheakamus. He became a section foreman of the PGE in Cheakamus. He changed his surname to Midnight (possibly from Menzanotte).

He died at 77 years of age on March 5, 1949. Mrs A. Midnight died at age 85 on June 25, 1971.

Rae, Allen

  • AR01
  • Person

Allen Rae came from Scotland at age 21. He married Kate Robertson and they had a son (Oswald) and two daughters (Retta and Minnie). Minnie was born on January 17, 1888. The family left their farm in Manitoba as the wheat froze each winter. They came to Squamish in February 1889 where Kate's parents had alrady pre-empted. Allen hoped to find gold. They pre-empted near the present day railway shops.

Allen and Kate had seven more sons in Squamish: Thomas Edgar was the first white child to be born in the Squamish Valley (March 8, 1889), Wilfred (1891), Robert Stewart (1893), Herbert Lawson (June 15, 1894), Maurice (1896), Lawrence Johnson (1900), and Jimmie (around 1902).

Allen joined the hop industry around 1894. He grew hops in an area now known as North Yards. The farm would be 160 acres and was separated in 1921 when the Mamquam River changed its course.

In 1904, Allen sold 20 acres of land to Jimmy Neil.

Allen died when he was blasting stumps on his farm. He did not wait long enough after he thought the fuse had gone out.

The house near the railway shops was destroyed by a flood in 1908.

Memorial: Rae Creek.

Mills, Catherine (Kate)

  • KM01
  • Person

Kate Robertson married Allen Rae who had come to Canada from Scotland at age 21. They had a son (Oswald) and two daughters (Retta and Minnie). Minnie was born on January 17, 1888. The family left their farm in Manitoba as the wheat froze each winter. They came to Squamish in February 1889 where Kate's parents had alrady pre-empted. Allen hoped to find gold. They pre-empted near the present day railway shops.

Kate and Allen had seven more sons in Squamish: Thomas Edgar was the first white child to be born in the Squamish Valley (March 8, 1889), Wilfred (1891), Robert Stewart (1893), Herbert Lawson (June 15, 1894), Maurice (1896), Lawrence Johnson (1900), and Jimmie (around 1902).

Allen joined the hop industry around 1894. He grew hops in an area now known as North Yards. The farm would be 160 acres and was separated in 1921 when the Mamquam River changed its course. In 1904, Allen sold 20 acres of land to Jimmy Neil.

Allen died when he was blasting stumps on his farm. He did not wait long enough after he thought the fuse had gone out. The house near the railway shops was destroyed by a flood in 1908.

Around 1910, Kate bought a boarding house beside the Bracken Arms for the men working on the Howe Sound Northern Railway. The Lews, and then the Armstrongs were the successive owners.

Kate married Hugh Henry Mills in 1912. They lived in the house where Norm Halvorson later lived in 1984.

Armstrong, Herbert (Herb)

  • HA01
  • Person
  • ? - 1925

Herbert Armstrong married Minnie Rae in 1912. Minnie was born to Allen and Kate Rae on January 17, 1888 in Balmorl, Manitoba. She came to Squamish with her parents in 1889. She worked as a practical nurse for Doctor N.V. Paul.

Herb and D. McCallum owned and operated a store in Squamish. He was also a part owner of the post office which used to be located where the Seven Seas Restaurant later stood.

Minnie and Herb had 6 children: Mabel (Mrs Keith), Gertrude (Mrs Wilson), Margareta (Mrs McLeod), Bob, Jim, and Les. They lived on the corner right of the Spiral Trailer Court in an area known as "Armstrong's Corner".

Herbert Armstrong fell off a roof and died in 1925. Minnie continued to live at "Armstrong's Corner" in the area across from Mamquam School on Government Road. In 1953, she built an "Armstrong Barn".

Minnie died at age 78 on January 5, 1966.

Results 51 to 75 of 257