Showing 257 resultsAuthority record
- ? - 1925
Herbert Armstrong married Minnie Rae in 1912. Minnie was born to Allen and Kate Rae on January 17, 1888 in Balmorl, Manitoba. She came to Squamish with her parents in 1889. She worked as a practical nurse for Doctor N.V. Paul.
Herb and D. McCallum owned and operated a store in Squamish. He was also a part owner of the post office which used to be located where the Seven Seas Restaurant later stood.
Minnie and Herb had 6 children: Mabel (Mrs Keith), Gertrude (Mrs Wilson), Margareta (Mrs McLeod), Bob, Jim, and Les. They lived on the corner right of the Spiral Trailer Court in an area known as "Armstrong's Corner".
Herbert Armstrong fell off a roof and died in 1925. Minnie continued to live at "Armstrong's Corner" in the area across from Mamquam School on Government Road. In 1953, she built an "Armstrong Barn".
Minnie died at age 78 on January 5, 1966.
- ~1889 - July 7, 1971
Harold was born in Ashford, Kent, England in 1889 or 1890. He came to Canada in 1912 and worked at the CNR shops in Winnipeg until 1920. From 1920 to 1928, he worked at the CNR shops in New Westminster. In 1928, he came to Squamish to work for PGE. In 1930, he worked for PGE as chief mechanic.
He died at age 81 on July 7, 1971.
- 1891 - September 24, 1976
In 1911, Harry Brightbill came to Squamish to work for Norton and McKinnon, a logging company operating at Cheekeye. In 1913 he worked as a brakeman on the Howe Sound and Pemberton Valley Northern Railway.
In the 1920's, Harry married Kamloops-born Jean Greatrix. They had 3 daughters, Alma (Mrs A.H. Cunningham), Katherine (Mrs W.A. Johnson), and Harriet.
His wife died at age 66 on June 9, 1965. Harry died on September 24, 1976 shortly after receiving an award for the best garden in Squamish Valley.
- March 25, 1870 - February 3, 1952
Henry Judd was born to Thomas (of England) and Nancy (of Ontario), nee Reed. He came to Vancouver from Ontario by rail in 1889 and stayed with cousin Ozzie Wood. He wanted to farm and almost went to Bonapart Rally but his cousin was interested in Squamish.
On November 12, 1889, Henry started for Squamish on the S.S. Saturna with Bown, Simpson, Sutherland, Crawford, Creelman, and his cousin Wood. He was 19 years old at the time. He reached hsi claim on the mouth of the Squamish River on November 14, 1889. With his partners Creelman and Wood, he built a lean-to. The others had given up before reaching their claim. The area he pre-empted was later occupied by the Brennans. He had originally drawn a lot at the mouth of the Cheakamus River but did not like it. Judd, Creland, and Wood moved into a crude 10' x 12' log house that they built on November 22, 1889.
On December 20, 1889, he started out for Vancouver. The Indians were supposed to take them dwon the river but they were a week late; by this time Judd had already built a dug-out canoe. He stayed with his aunt in Vancouver that winter.
In 1890 he returned to Ontario to convince his parents to come to Squamish. This was the only time he ever returned to Ontario. Judd, his cousin A.H. (Bert) Crysler, H. Drummond, and E.G. Baynes started out for Squamish in a boat Judd and Crysler had built.
On May 3, 1890, Judd completed building a house on the property that would later be belong to the Brennans. Judd was joined by his parents, Mr and Mrs Thomas Judd, his sister Rilla, and his brother Wilby in 1892. By this time Harry had built an addition onto his home for them. On December 5, 1894 all the settlers turned out to help Judd raise his new log house which was 18' x 24' and a storey and a half high. Judd's parents, brother, and sister would remain in the houseon the Brennan property.
Henry Judd was engaged to Barbara Anne Edwards soonafter meeting her at a party at Mr Mashiter's. H.J. Edwards, Barbara Anne's brother brought up lumber for Harry Judd's new home (the current Farquharson place on Judd Road). On December 26, 1894, Henry Judd married Barbara Anne Edwards in Vancouver. The Bridesmaid was the bride's sister Mrs T.K. Bogart. They returned to Squamish the next day.
Olive, the first of 8 girls was born on September 27, 1895. Henry and Barbara Anne had 10 children in total: William Henry on March 1, 1897; Earl Thomas on March 6, 1898; Edith in 1900; Gertrude Ruth on April 21, 1902; Jessie on November 23, 1903; Myrtle in 1906; twins Jane and Clara on October 5, 1909; and Dorothy on April 7, 1913.
The Judd home was enlarged between 1909 and 1910. It burned down in January 1916 and was later rebuilt. It is now the home of his daughter Dorothy and her husband Mr R.E. Farquharson.
Henry's father, Thomas Judd died of a prostate problem in 1910. Henry Judd died at age 82 on February 3, 1952. Mrs Henry Judd died in Lynn Valley on December 16, 1968 at age 94.
- Mary 24, 1861 - October 21, 1963
Hank was born on Boblo Island on the Detroit River. He logged in Ontario as well as the the Southern United States. He was a strong liberal all his life. In the 1978 election, he voted twice; in Canada and the States.
He arrived in BC in 1900 with a survey party. In 1917, he came to Woodfibre where he worked as head boom man. He retired from Woodfibre in 1942.
In 1947, he moved to Squamish and lived in the home of Mrs M.G. Armstrong.
It was rumoured that when his doctor told him it give up smoking and drinking in 1958, he cut down to 3 shots of rum a day.
He applied for his last hunting license in 1958 and was given it "on the house".
Hank went blind in 1961. He would have his friends lead him to the polls on election day.
Hank died on October 21, 1963 as Squamish's oldest resident at 102 years old.
- 1886 - November 23, 1951
Hugh came to Squamish in 1891 to build barns for George Magee. He also built the Newport Hotel and several other houses.
He married Catherine (Kate) Rae in 1912 after her husband died. He built a house on the 1984 site of Norm Halvorson's land.
He died at age 85 on November 23, 1951.
The Newport Hotel burned down in 1956. It would later be replaced by the current Chieftain Hotel.
- 1874 - February 19, 1949
Isobel was born in Glencoe, Nova Scotia. She was married to Duncan MacDonald and had four boys: Alex (December 1894), Johnny (May 28, 1895), Scott (June 29, 1896), and Allan (March 9, 1912).
Isobel came to Squamish with her husband and four sons in 1914. They had their fifth son in Squamish (Norman, 1915).
Isobel died at the age of 77 on February 19, 1949.
John Bracken was born in England. He came to Squamish in 1905 with his two sons, Richard and Lance. He was a remittance man.
In Squamish he built an "everything" store and a post office. He was the first postmaster in Brackendale.
He built the Bracken Arms, a hotel with a store and a post office prior to 1908. It was located on the East side of Government Road, south of the present Brackendale store. He used to fine people 25 cents for learning back and resting a chair on its two back legs.
In Spring 1912, the Bracken Arms Hotel burned down when a patron in an upstairs room overturned a coal lamp. The chimney was all that ws left standing.