Affichage de 259 résultats

fichier d'autorité

Tatlow, Rose Ethel Julia

  • RT01
  • Personne
  • April 25, 1915 - July 23, 1998

Rose's maiden name was Rose Ethel Julia Lasser. She was the daughter of Elise Lasser, sister of Freda Clark, Marge Leffler, Bob Lasser, Anne Moore and Lil Neubert. Her father died in a logging accident.

Rose lived near Powell River when she was a baby. Her family moved to Squamish when she was very young. Rose later attended UBC where she obtained her degree in English. During this time she worked as a housekeeper/nanny for a Vancouver family for her room and board.

Rose was predeceased by her daughter Delores Anne Mason in 1969 and her husband Clarence Elmer (Hank) Tatlow in 1981.

MacDonald, Scott

  • SM01
  • Personne
  • 1897 -

Scott MacDonald was born in 1897 30 miles outside of Halifax in Nova Scotia. In 1912, he arrived in Squamish with his parents Duncan and Isobel MacDonald and his three brothers Alex, John, and Allen. In 1915 his forth brother Norman was born. They settled where Jimmie Niel's farm was.

In 1913 he was hired as a faller for the "French Boys". He would also be a high rigger at various logging camps and work for public works building a road to Upper Squamish.

On December 23, 1926 he married Mildred Schoonover and they lived in the PGE shop houses. He worked for the PGE as a trainman from 1928 to 1926 when he retired after 28 years of service. Scott and Mildred have also lived in the Schoonover's log cabin and 38890 Bowen Avenue.

Clarke, George Stanley (Stan)

  • SC01
  • Personne
  • August 10, 1883 - May 23, 1981

George Stanley Clarke was born on the north coast of Norfolk, England. He came to Canada in 1910 and worked for the CNR in Winnipeg and Edmonton.

In 1920 he moved to Brisbane, Australia and helped build wooden street cars. He returned to Canada in 1926 to the CPR at Field, Ontario. In 1927 he came to Squamish and worked for the PGE for a short time. He went into business for himself building and operating a gas station, the "Shell" at the site of the present post office. He also had a construction business.

From 1930 to 1931, Stan Clarke beachcombed along the Squamish River in order to earn extra money during the Depression. Ed Aldridge would look after his gas station in return for free use of the garage.

In 1934, the gas station was moved to a building he had built in the present downtown location of Kaos Kids (previously Pharmasave drugstore). He lived in an apartment above the station.

Stan retired in 1945 and moved into the house he had built on the site of the present Royal Bank. When the property was sold to Royal Bank, the house was moved to the corner of Garibaldi and Magee Streets.

In 1963, Stan married the former Freda Munro. Stan had been married twice before and had three children, Jack, Peter, and Joan (Knight) with his first wife. Stan and Freda lived in the house on Garibaldi Highlands until he died on May 23, 1981 at age 98.

McCarthy, Grace

  • GM01
  • Personne
  • October 14, 1927 - present

Grace McCarthy served the Province of British Columbia as an elected member of the Legislative Assembly for over 22 years. When she was Deputy Premier of the Province, she was instrumental in bringing the world fair, Expo '86 to Vancouver . As Minister of Tourism, she spearheaded the building of the Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre at Canada Harbour Place.

Serving as Minister of Social Services, Grace established Canada 's first Hot Line to respond to abused children, and brought the most comprehensive legislation to stop child abuse in the country. As Minister of Economic Development, she began the Asia Pacific Initiative and the Enterprise Centre, precursor to the Internet and oversaw the building of Vancouver 's first rapid transit system “The Skytrain.” Grace lobbied successfully for home-ownership for women. Prior to her efforts, a woman could not be considered for a mortgage without a male guarantor.

Her many honours include the Order of Canada, and the Order of British Columbia as well as Honorary Doctor of Laws from Simon Fraser University, and the University of British Columbia, Order of Distinguished Service Worldwide from the Salvation Army, Honorary Fellow, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, and Variety International's Golden Heart Award.

Grace serves on the Board of Directors of BC Bearing Engineers and appointed to the Council for the Segal Centre for Graduate Management Studies at Simon Fraser University .

Green, Walter

  • WG01
  • Personne
  • May 25, 1882 -

Walter Green was born in Watertown, Ontario. His mother died and he lived with his grandparents Mr and Mrs Richard Carey on their farm near Hamilton. In 1888 he moved near Guelph and lived with an aunt and uncle, Mr and Mrs J.C. Williams who ran a post office and a small store. He began schooling in stone schoolhouse in Beach Grove.

In 1899 he moved to Vancouver with his aunt and uncle. He worked as an office boy for the Vancouver Province (owned by W.C. Nichol) and worked his way up to bookkeeper. He began work for Vancouver World in 1904 which L.D. Taylor had just bought. In 1905 he moved to North Vancouver and worked as a reporter for the North Shore Press.

In 1907 Walter married Margaret Mee of North Vancouver. They had 4 children: Mrs Lynn Gowan, Mrs Bertha (Bussie) Pomeroy, Mrs Ann Helmer, and Richard (born 1917).

In 1920, Walter moved to Pemberton. He bought a farm and built a house. He grew government certified seed potatoes that would become an original member of Pemberton Seed Potato Growers Group. His farm was almost destroyed in a flood which resulted in him having to farm in Surrey. He also moved to a rented farm in Delta and later moved back to the Perbton Valley when the area received flood protection.

In the 1960s, Walter retired from active farming but still farmed for himself.

His wife Margaret who was a founding member of the Pemberton Women's Institute died at age 90. His son Richard died at age 62 in 1979. His daughter Bertha lived with him in Pemberton until 1984 when he began to reside in Squamish General Hospital.

Habricht, Jack

  • JH01
  • Personne
  • 1875 - August 2, 1930

Jack Habricht was born in Poland in 1875. He came to Canada in the late 1890's and worked on the Skeena River Boats and Grant Trunk Pacific Line.

In 1896 he came to Squamish. He lived in a cabin at the base of Hospital Hill (above Merrill and Ring Campsite). Jack trapped and prospected in Squamish and the Indian River area. He also had a mining property by Goat Creek.

Jack shot himself and died on August 2, 1950. Habricht Mountain is named after him.

Farquharson, Dorothy

  • DF01
  • Personne
  • April 7, 1913 -

Dorothy was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwarsd) Judd on April 7, 1913. She was married Rob E. Farquharson and they lived in the old Judd home on Judd Road. She gave birth to her daughter Ellen (Mrs Grant) in 1940 and son Graeme in 1944.

Jack, August

  • AJ01
  • Personne
  • 1877 - June 14, 1967

Chief August Jack was a notable Squamish Indian who was an experienced Indian guide, trapper, logger, a talented canoe builder, and one of the last of the medicine men and traditional Indian dancers. In addition to this, he was also one of the last of the Squamish Indians to perform the "rituals of manhood" that qualify you as a true Indian brave. This involved a young man going into the mountains to fast and meditate until one was "visited by the spirit".

August Jack was born at the False Creek Indian Reserve of "Snauq" (c 1877), an area later called "Kitsilano" in honour o fhis grandfather (his father's father), Chief Khahtsahlanogh. August Jack was the son of Supple Jack ("Khay-Tulk" of Chaythoos) and Sally ("Owhaywat", who originally was from a village in Squamish). Old Chief Khahtsahlanogh had migrated from his ancestral home at Toktakamic on the Squamish River and settled at Chaythoos.

Supple Jack died the day August Jack was born. His mother remarried Shinatset (Jericho Charlie whose first wife's name was Menatlot for the first years of his life.

August Jack lived at the village of Snaq until the reserve land was bought by the government in 1913. He, along with many other Squamish Indians from this village, moved up to the reserve in Squamish. In Squamish, prior 1900, patronymic of his grandfather was conferred upon him and that of "Khaytulk" upon his brother Willie. He later moved back to Vancouver to the North Vancouver reserve where he became an honoured elder and skilled carver.

In 1938 he renounced the name Jack and became August Jack.

He married Swanamia (Mary Anne) and they would have 5 children: Emma, Celestine, Wilfred, Irene, and Louise. Louise now lives in the home in Squamish (Kowtain Reserve) that the band arranged for August Jack and Swanamia to move into in 1961. August Jack remained here until his death (June 14, 1967) at age 91.

Jimmy, Jimmy

  • JJ01
  • Personne

Jimmy Jimmy (Indian name-Swahsh) and his wife lived quite far up the Squamish river; past Baynes Island and a little farther up past the end of Judd Slough. He claimed that he was chosen to present a gift of Indian baskets on behalf of the Squamish Indians to Prince Edward (who later became King Edward, but abdicated) in the late 1800's. Jimmy Jimmy was very pockmarked from his bout with smallpox.

His wife was quite a character. Wherever she went, she carried her chamber pot with her. Whenever she rode in Mr Judd's "taxi service", he knew he would have to stop and let her out somewhere along the trip.

Account of Chief Jimmy Jimmy from Ta Kaya (Lone Wolf) [I Remember, page 9]: No one knew his age. When asked his age, he always said "seventy snows", meaning seventy years. He must have been nearly a hundred years old when he passed away. When his eyes started to fail, he had to hang up his rifle and use his shotgun loaded with buckshot to get a deer. After a few years, I really felt sorry for Jimmy. He came and told me that his eyes had failed him completely and that he couldn't see a deer more than forty feet so had to quit hunting. A few of us always shared our meat with him. He never had any children of his own to carry on his skills.
[Page 30] He was noted as the best canoe man that we ever had on the Squamish River. He had a large thirty-three foot dugout canoe that he made himself. He charged ten dollars a day for himself and the canoe to carry freight on the river and charged extra for any help he needed. A day then was from daylight until dark.

Barbour, Allan Newton

  • AB01
  • Personne
  • September 3, 1869 - October 26, 1953

Allan Barbour was born in New Brunswick to Robert Barbour and ? Newton, both of Scotland. In the early 1900's, Allan and his brother Charlie came to the coast. He worked in the Fraser Valley for two years before the Barbour brothers came to Squamish in 1907. He homesteaded across from the current railway shops.

In 1915, Allan Barbour married Kathleen Boyle. The first of their four children was born in 1916 (Richard). Later on they had Howard, Kenneth, and Kathleen (Mrs Lacey).

Al Barbour retired in 1935 and he died later that year on October 26 at age 84.

Barbour, Kathleen

  • KB01
  • Personne
  • 1889 - January 11, 1974

Kathleen Boyle was born in Waterford, Ireland as a direct descendant of Sir Richard Boyle, the first Earl of Cork whose son, Robert Boyle, became world famous Irish philosopher acclaimed as the "Father of Chemistry".

She arrived in Canada aboard the Virginian (one of the ships called to aid the Titanic). She lived in Vancouver for a short time and then moved to Squamish. In 1915, she met and married Allan Barbour. Together they had 4 children: Ken, Richard, Howard, and Kathleen (Mrs Lacey).

In 1930, Kathleen and her husband moved to Kerrisdale where she served 3 terms as president of the Women's Auxiliary of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 30. They lived near St. Mary's Church.

Her husband died on October 26, 1953 and she died at age 83 on January 11, 1974.

Barnfield, Alfred Pinneger

  • AB02
  • Personne
  • October 30, 1866 - September 24, 1960

Alfred was born in Wittshire, England to Edward and Ann (nee Pinnegar) Barnfield.

He was a preemptor on the Lillooet River and was one of nine men to clear, replace bridges, and improve the grade on the 60 mile Squamish-Pemberton trail (April - July 1891).

In 1897, he helped John Currie attempt to drive his animals over the Howe Sound trail. The drive was a great failure. During the summer of 1897, he explored for minerals down Lillooet Lake. In 1897 he went to Blackwater, or Birkenhead to explore for copper.

Alfred came to Squamish prior to 1905. His name ppears in the a Hotel register in 1903, however he states he is from Vancouver and later Green Lake. He later signs himself as coming from Squamish.

On August 1, 1910, he married Daisy Eck Hotchkiss and they went to England on their honeymoon. They lived at Alta Lake and had four children (Charles, Fred, William, and Vera). Their son Charles, born in 1920, died overseas.

In 1924 he moved to Squamish on Wilson Crescent. He had traded land at Alta Lake with the PGE.

Bracken, John

  • JB01
  • Personne

John Bracken was born in England. He came to Squamish in 1905 with his two sons, Richard and Lance. He was a remittance man.

In Squamish he built an "everything" store and a post office. He was the first postmaster in Brackendale.

He built the Bracken Arms, a hotel with a store and a post office prior to 1908. It was located on the East side of Government Road, south of the present Brackendale store. He used to fine people 25 cents for learning back and resting a chair on its two back legs.

In Spring 1912, the Bracken Arms Hotel burned down when a patron in an upstairs room overturned a coal lamp. The chimney was all that ws left standing.

Brohm, William

  • WB01
  • Personne

William was born in Germany. He moved near Cheakamus around 1894. He brought his daughter from Germany and she would later marry Johnny Smedley.

He built the Mashiter house around 1902.

Memorials: Brohm Creek, Brohm Lake, Brohm Ridge.

Hansen, Jane

  • JJ02
  • Personne
  • October 5, 1909 -

Jane was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd. She preceded her twin sister Clara by half an hour.

She married Ole Hansen and they had a daughter, Annette.

Judd, Thomas Wilby

  • TJ01
  • Personne
  • December 7, 1875 - March 7, 1961

Born to Thomas (of England) and Nancy Almira (nee Read of Ontario) Judd. Thomas Wilby came to Squamish with his parents and sister Rilla in 1892. He lived with his brother Henry (Harry).

In 1894, Thomas was the best man for his sister Marilla's marriage to Jim Edwards. He himself remained a bachelor.

In 1913, Thomas partnered with Kenneth Dondale in the Howe Sound Realty Co. Squamish was then known as Newport and was experiencing a landboom. He lived in a cabin he had built on Shadow Lake (in the general area of Alpine Lodge). He was forced to move when BC Hudro flooded for the construction of Daisy Laje Dam. He moved to Cheakamus where he had a fntastic rock garden.

Judd, William Henry

  • WJ01
  • Personne
  • March 1, 1897 - January 1919

William Henry was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.

William Henry joined the army around 1917 after the fire at the Judd house. He was later discharged from the army. After he came home he got the Asian flu. He was sick for one week and died in January 1919.

Magee, Fred Osborne

  • FM01
  • Personne
  • March 29, 1876 - November 1, 1960

Fred Magee was born in Point Grey, BC to Hugh (originally from Ireland) and Isabella (nee Crawford, formerly of Scotland). He came to Squamish in 1895 where his brother George was living. He married Ione Smith (born in 1886) and together they had 5 sons (Fred, Cameron, Leslie, David, and Robert) and 4 daughters (Ione Matheson, Edith Magee, Irene Tite, and Hilda Dublack).

From 1900 to 1910 he owned a second house on Main Street. He had a dairy farm where Weldwood Sawmill is now located.

In November 1904 he packed equipment from Squamish to the fish hatchery at Owl Creek. He later herded cattle to railway construction camps from Squamish to Pemberton.

Fred died and was bured in Squamish on November 1, 1960. Ione Maee died at age 87 on October 4, 1974.

Mashiter, William

  • WM01
  • Personne
  • June 1, 1850 - January 11, 1938

William Mashiter was born in Woodford County, Cheshire, England and brought up as a farmer. His father was the first Vicar of Woodford.

He left England in May 1870. in 1874 he arrived in Victoria after first travelling to California. He worked in canneries along the Skeena River and took part in the Cassiar Gold Rush. He came to Vancouver via the Lillooet-Squamish tarail and canoed down Howe Sound. He also operated a logging camp on the Fraser River for one and a half years.

William arrived in Granville (now Gastown) in November 1884. He opened a general store in Granville on Water Street. The store burned in the "great fire" on June 13, 1886. By June 16, 1886, he had already rebuilt the store.

Between 1889 to 1890, he rode a sleigh on Marine Drive. He was one of teh two survivors when a tree fell on the sleigh. Four people died.

In 1890, William came up to Squamish and took over the Magee farm. In 1891 he built a store and post office at the foot of Winnipeg Street (present site of the Shell Bulk Plant). It was the only store until 1905. The store had a small dock, "Mashiter's Landing" that was serviced twice weekly by the S.S. Defiance and Saturna. He was the post master until 1903.

William also ran a boat service across the channel to where the Pentecostal Church now stands.

He married Elizabeth Atkinson (from Cumberland, England) in Vancouver on May 21, 1894. In 1902, he sold his business to David Galbraith and went to England for the summer with his wife. During his absence, William Brohm built "Mashiter House". It was a landmark until it was torn down in 1964 to clear the way for Overwaitea (later the location of Fields).

In 1909, school was held in the Mashiter's old store house. In 1915 he donated land and grounds for the first proper school in Squamish (Mashiter School). He remained an official of the School Board for several years.

In September 1925, Mrs Mashiter died at age 78 and was buried in Brackendale. She had been the first president of the Ladies Guild for the Anglican Church.

In the 1930's, he lost most of his property to taxes in the depression. He continued to farm hay until his death.

Memorials: Mashiter Creek, Mashiter School, altar windows and brass plaque in St. John's (memorial to Mrs Mashiter), and a Carved Oak Lecturn (memorial to Mr Mashiter).

Paddy, George

  • GP01
  • Personne

George arrived in Squamish Valley around 1894. He married William Mashiter's niece, Thursa.

In 1907, Howe Sound Pemberton Valley Northern Railway bought his 42 acre island.

Rae, Herbert Lawson

  • LR01
  • Personne
  • June 15, 1894 - December 17, 1958

Herbert Lawson was born in the North Yards area of Squamish to Allen and Kate Rae. He was a student in the first school. Around 1819, he joined the army and was assigned to Siberia. He later married Clara Lillian Nicholls, a teacher and the neice of Emily Carr. Clara was born on March 7, 1891 in England to Richard Nicholls and Clara Carr. They would have 6 children. The five that were alive in 1983 were Louise Riis, Herbert, Donny, David, and Betty Lorenz.

In the 1920's, Lawson was Government Road foreman when the road to Britannia was built. At one time he was Public Works Foreman. He was also a Dairy Farmer.

When Lawson died in December 1958, he had the only farm in active use in the Squamish Valley. His wife Clara died in 1976

Rae, Retta

  • RR01
  • Personne
  • 188? - ~1910

Retta Rae was born prior to 1889 to Allen and Kate Rae. She came to Squamish with her parents in February 1889. She died in her early 20's due to complications of a broken hip.

Rae, Thomas Edgar

  • TR01
  • Personne
  • March 8, 1889 - March 26, 1963

Thomas Edgar was born on March 8, 1889 to Kate and Allen Rae as the first while child born in the Squamish Valley.

He married Christie Belle and had three children: Allan, Catherine (Mrs Freemento), and Marjorie (Mrs Trojer).

Thomas worked for the PGE. He also operated dairy and built houses in Squamish.

His wife Christie died on October 6, 1937. He was remarried to Edith Jones. Thomas died at age 73 on March 26, 1963. Edith died on day after Edgar.

Bailey, H.H. (Harold)

  • HB01
  • Personne
  • ~1889 - July 7, 1971

Harold was born in Ashford, Kent, England in 1889 or 1890. He came to Canada in 1912 and worked at the CNR shops in Winnipeg until 1920. From 1920 to 1928, he worked at the CNR shops in New Westminster. In 1928, he came to Squamish to work for PGE. In 1930, he worked for PGE as chief mechanic.

He died at age 81 on July 7, 1971.

MacDonald, Isobel

  • IM01
  • Personne
  • 1874 - February 19, 1949

Isobel was born in Glencoe, Nova Scotia. She was married to Duncan MacDonald and had four boys: Alex (December 1894), Johnny (May 28, 1895), Scott (June 29, 1896), and Allan (March 9, 1912).

Isobel came to Squamish with her husband and four sons in 1914. They had their fifth son in Squamish (Norman, 1915).

Isobel died at the age of 77 on February 19, 1949.

Résultats 51 à 75 sur 259