Affichage de 264 résultatsfichier d'autorité
- November 23, 1903 -
Jessie Judd was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd. She married Robert Stewart (Bert) Rae on December 27, 1927 and had three kids with him: Stewart James (Jimmy) on June 5, 1929; Catherine Anne (Anne - Mrs D.W. Davidson) on September 15, 1933; and Harry Stewart on January 27, 1935. Her husband was in a car accident at the entrance to Squamish in 1977. He died of complications as a result at age 86 on April 14, 1978. Her son Harry died in 1981.
- August 10, 1883 - May 23, 1981
George Stanley Clarke was born on the north coast of Norfolk, England. He came to Canada in 1910 and worked for the CNR in Winnipeg and Edmonton.
In 1920 he moved to Brisbane, Australia and helped build wooden street cars. He returned to Canada in 1926 to the CPR at Field, Ontario. In 1927 he came to Squamish and worked for the PGE for a short time. He went into business for himself building and operating a gas station, the "Shell" at the site of the present post office. He also had a construction business.
From 1930 to 1931, Stan Clarke beachcombed along the Squamish River in order to earn extra money during the Depression. Ed Aldridge would look after his gas station in return for free use of the garage.
In 1934, the gas station was moved to a building he had built in the present downtown location of Kaos Kids (previously Pharmasave drugstore). He lived in an apartment above the station.
Stan retired in 1945 and moved into the house he had built on the site of the present Royal Bank. When the property was sold to Royal Bank, the house was moved to the corner of Garibaldi and Magee Streets.
In 1963, Stan married the former Freda Munro. Stan had been married twice before and had three children, Jack, Peter, and Joan (Knight) with his first wife. Stan and Freda lived in the house on Garibaldi Highlands until he died on May 23, 1981 at age 98.
- 1884 -
Frank Buckley was born in 1884 in County Cork, Ireland. He came to Squamish in 1903 to construct the Empire Mills building which he would later own. He left Squamish when the construction was complete.
In December 1907, he returned to Squamish on the S.S. Britannia. He had planned to go on to Pemberton but there was too much snow to travel.
He worked for the Squamish Timber Co. at Cheekye in 1908. He left the Logging Camp in May of 1908 and snowshoed to Pemberton. He then worked at Dominion Salmon Hatchery at Owl Creek near Pemberton.
In 1912 when the PGE railway was being built, he moved back to Squamish and set up a transfer business. He took goods from the wharf to the station. He stayed at his sister Mrs Jack Roayne's farm.
He was the first Imperial Oil Agent in the Squamish Valley.
In 1913 he lost his horses when they were frightened by a boat's whistle and jumped off the wharf to drown.
On October 11, 1914, Frank married Doris Galbraith. They were the first couple married in Squamish. The ceremony was conducted by Reverend Hoyle in St. John the Divine Church (Anglican). The bridesmaid was Mrs J. Hellinger. Their first son David Franklin was born on October 24, 1915. They lived in a house in the later location of the Overwaitea.
He started to work for the PGE in 1916 and quickly worked his way to locomotive engineer. He was the third locomotive engineer to work for the PGE.
His son Brian Buckley was born in Vancouver on October 20, 1930. He and Doris later had a third son, Kenneth (Mike). David Franklin (first son) died in Squamish on August 30, 1932.
The Buckley's moved to a home near Buckley's crossing in 1938. His son Kenneth died in World War II.
Frank retired from the railway after 35 years in 1949. His son Brian married May Franson in 1950. His son's wife, May, died on August 18, 1977. Frank's wife died on January 7, 1978.
- October 14, 1927 - present
Grace McCarthy served the Province of British Columbia as an elected member of the Legislative Assembly for over 22 years. When she was Deputy Premier of the Province, she was instrumental in bringing the world fair, Expo '86 to Vancouver . As Minister of Tourism, she spearheaded the building of the Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre at Canada Harbour Place.
Serving as Minister of Social Services, Grace established Canada 's first Hot Line to respond to abused children, and brought the most comprehensive legislation to stop child abuse in the country. As Minister of Economic Development, she began the Asia Pacific Initiative and the Enterprise Centre, precursor to the Internet and oversaw the building of Vancouver 's first rapid transit system “The Skytrain.” Grace lobbied successfully for home-ownership for women. Prior to her efforts, a woman could not be considered for a mortgage without a male guarantor.
Her many honours include the Order of Canada, and the Order of British Columbia as well as Honorary Doctor of Laws from Simon Fraser University, and the University of British Columbia, Order of Distinguished Service Worldwide from the Salvation Army, Honorary Fellow, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, and Variety International's Golden Heart Award.
Grace serves on the Board of Directors of BC Bearing Engineers and appointed to the Council for the Segal Centre for Graduate Management Studies at Simon Fraser University .
- May 5, 1891 - June 21, 1980
Daisy was born in London, England to Mr and Mrs Phillip Hotchkiss. They came to Canada in 1897 and lived in Montreal. In October 1905, Daisy came to Squamish with her sister and brother in law, Mr and Mrs H.H. Gaunt. After arriving by boat, they had to ride to Brackendale on top of a ton of potatoes in the pouring rain.
On August 1, 1910, Daisy married Alfred Pinnegar Barnfield and went to England on their honeymoon. They had 4 children: Charles, Fred, William, and Mrs Vera Swann. They lived at Alta Lake.
In 1924 they moved to Wilson Crescent. Her husband died in 1960 and she died at age 89 on June 21, 1980.
- ? - 1925
Herbert Armstrong married Minnie Rae in 1912. Minnie was born to Allen and Kate Rae on January 17, 1888 in Balmorl, Manitoba. She came to Squamish with her parents in 1889. She worked as a practical nurse for Doctor N.V. Paul.
Herb and D. McCallum owned and operated a store in Squamish. He was also a part owner of the post office which used to be located where the Seven Seas Restaurant later stood.
Minnie and Herb had 6 children: Mabel (Mrs Keith), Gertrude (Mrs Wilson), Margareta (Mrs McLeod), Bob, Jim, and Les. They lived on the corner right of the Spiral Trailer Court in an area known as "Armstrong's Corner".
Herbert Armstrong fell off a roof and died in 1925. Minnie continued to live at "Armstrong's Corner" in the area across from Mamquam School on Government Road. In 1953, she built an "Armstrong Barn".
Minnie died at age 78 on January 5, 1966.
Kate Robertson married Allen Rae who had come to Canada from Scotland at age 21. They had a son (Oswald) and two daughters (Retta and Minnie). Minnie was born on January 17, 1888. The family left their farm in Manitoba as the wheat froze each winter. They came to Squamish in February 1889 where Kate's parents had alrady pre-empted. Allen hoped to find gold. They pre-empted near the present day railway shops.
Kate and Allen had seven more sons in Squamish: Thomas Edgar was the first white child to be born in the Squamish Valley (March 8, 1889), Wilfred (1891), Robert Stewart (1893), Herbert Lawson (June 15, 1894), Maurice (1896), Lawrence Johnson (1900), and Jimmie (around 1902).
Allen joined the hop industry around 1894. He grew hops in an area now known as North Yards. The farm would be 160 acres and was separated in 1921 when the Mamquam River changed its course. In 1904, Allen sold 20 acres of land to Jimmy Neil.
Allen died when he was blasting stumps on his farm. He did not wait long enough after he thought the fuse had gone out. The house near the railway shops was destroyed by a flood in 1908.
Around 1910, Kate bought a boarding house beside the Bracken Arms for the men working on the Howe Sound Northern Railway. The Lews, and then the Armstrongs were the successive owners.
Kate married Hugh Henry Mills in 1912. They lived in the house where Norm Halvorson later lived in 1984.
Allen Rae came from Scotland at age 21. He married Kate Robertson and they had a son (Oswald) and two daughters (Retta and Minnie). Minnie was born on January 17, 1888. The family left their farm in Manitoba as the wheat froze each winter. They came to Squamish in February 1889 where Kate's parents had alrady pre-empted. Allen hoped to find gold. They pre-empted near the present day railway shops.
Allen and Kate had seven more sons in Squamish: Thomas Edgar was the first white child to be born in the Squamish Valley (March 8, 1889), Wilfred (1891), Robert Stewart (1893), Herbert Lawson (June 15, 1894), Maurice (1896), Lawrence Johnson (1900), and Jimmie (around 1902).
Allen joined the hop industry around 1894. He grew hops in an area now known as North Yards. The farm would be 160 acres and was separated in 1921 when the Mamquam River changed its course.
In 1904, Allen sold 20 acres of land to Jimmy Neil.
Allen died when he was blasting stumps on his farm. He did not wait long enough after he thought the fuse had gone out.
The house near the railway shops was destroyed by a flood in 1908.
Memorial: Rae Creek.
- April 1872 - March 5, 1949
Charles was born in Austria but emigrated from Italy. He married Alice Claire Smith, daughter of railway roadmaster Hugh Smith in Massachusetts on August 24, 1904.
Charles Midnight Jr was born in 1907. He would become an engineer on the railway. Charles Midnight Senior had 14 children in total, including Hazel Armstrong.
Charles came to Squamish around 1919 and lived in both Squamish and Cheakamus. He became a section foreman of the PGE in Cheakamus. He changed his surname to Midnight (possibly from Menzanotte).
He died at 77 years of age on March 5, 1949. Mrs A. Midnight died at age 85 on June 25, 1971.
- 1948 - 1949
An independent newspaper at Squamish British Columbia, serving the Squamish Valley, Woodfibre and Britannia Beach. When the newspaper began in 1948, it was published once a month then later in 1949, it was published once a week.
The office of the Review is located in the Yarwood Drug Store, Squamish, B.C.
- 1950 - 1956
The Squamish Advance was a weekly local newspaper located on Cleveland Avenue, next door south of the MacKenzie store.
- ? - January 22, 1956
Charles Sherman Schoonover was born in Austinburg, Pennsylvannia. In 1897 he married Elvira Bump and they homesteaded in North Dokota. They had two daughters, Mary and Mildred (born Jan 3, 1902).
In October 1905 the Schoonovers pre-empted in Upper Squamish (opposite the BC Hydro power house) on 156 acres. They lived in a tiny cabin while their daughter Mary remained with their grandparents in Pennsylvannia. They had son named Robert in 1905 who was delivered by an Indian woman in Squamish.
Charles worked for shingle bolt camps and was a skillful canoeist, hunter, and fisherman. In 1908 the family moved to Brackendale. Charles bought oxen to help clear his land. Charles' daughter Mary moved to Squamish in 1914 and later became Mrs Bruce Wright.
In 1932, he and Elvira moved to a log cabin he had built north of the Brackendale Store. Charles developed a serious heart ailment in his later years and died at age 76.
- 1957 - 1995
Squamish's local paper, The Squamish Advance was bought out by Claude Hoodspith of West Vancouver who also had a paper in North Vancouver. The papers name was changed to The Howe Sound Squamish Times and later the Squamish Times.
- 1991 - present
The Squamish Chief has been published every week since 1991, serving the community of Squamish with local news, sports, entertainment and other special features.
- 1951 - 1999