Affichage de 264 résultatsfichier d'autorité
- 1907 - July 3, 1983
Freda Clarke was born in Zurich, Switzerland and came to Canada when she was three years old. She lived near Powell River for six years before the family moved to Vancouver where they lived for a number of years.
She first came to Squamish in 1927 to teach primary school at the old Mashiter School which was torn down when the new west wing of Howe Sound Secondary School was built. In 1935, she married Alex Munro and they moved to Quesnel for a year where their first child Dan was born. Later they moved back to Squamish and lived in a house across from the present Mamquam Elementary School before moving to the house on Second Avenue where she lived for many years.
Her husband was killed when a PGE train plunged into Seton Lake in January 1950 and for a number of years she returned to her profession, acting as a substitute teacher whenever she was needed.
In 1963 she married the late Stan Clarke who predeceased her by two years. She was survived by her two sons, Colonel Dan Munro in Germany and Richard of 100 Mile House, and her daughter Lynette Halvorson of Squamish.
Freda Clarke loved growing flowers and vegetables and taking fruit from her garden to her friends. Many people received a thoughtful gift of a bowl of raspberries or a basket of cherries.
Her funeral was held in the Squamish United Church on Thursday, July 7, 1983 at 2pm and followed by interment in Mount Garibaldi Cemetery.
- 1935 - present
Lynette Munro was born to Freda Clark (Munro nee Lasser) and Alex Munro, a train engineer who was killed around 1951 when the train engine went into Seton Lake one winter. She has an older brother Dan, a Navy officer, and a younger brother Richard, a railway engineer on the Pacific Great Eastern.
Lynette finished high school and took her nurses training in Vancouver and then returned to Squamish and married Norman Halvorson. She worked for a very short time at the hospital in Squamish before her first child Don was born. She and Norm have four children: Don, Wendy, Paul, and Nancy.
- ? - January 22, 1956
Charles Sherman Schoonover was born in Austinburg, Pennsylvannia. In 1897 he married Elvira Bump and they homesteaded in North Dokota. They had two daughters, Mary and Mildred (born Jan 3, 1902).
In October 1905 the Schoonovers pre-empted in Upper Squamish (opposite the BC Hydro power house) on 156 acres. They lived in a tiny cabin while their daughter Mary remained with their grandparents in Pennsylvannia. They had son named Robert in 1905 who was delivered by an Indian woman in Squamish.
Charles worked for shingle bolt camps and was a skillful canoeist, hunter, and fisherman. In 1908 the family moved to Brackendale. Charles bought oxen to help clear his land. Charles' daughter Mary moved to Squamish in 1914 and later became Mrs Bruce Wright.
In 1932, he and Elvira moved to a log cabin he had built north of the Brackendale Store. Charles developed a serious heart ailment in his later years and died at age 76.
- March 7, 1884 - May 26, 1983
Born in Chilchester, Sussex, Fred came to Canada in 1904 to Barrier (Ontario) to join a friend who had emigrated earlier. He was an apprentice to a photographer, worked on a farm, worked for Grand Trunk Railway out of Brarier, harvested wheat in the Winnipeg area, and worked for the Canadian Northern Railway. He also went to North Dakota.
He went to Moose Jaw and then to a grading camp east of Medicine Hat. Then he worked in Fort McLeod loading coal for the CPR. Fred also spent two years in Moyie (west of Crabbrook) working as an electrician's helper. He latser worked for the Canadian National Railway in Ontario. After his brother came from England, he built a houseboat with him.
Fred arrived in Squamish on May 1, 1910 to work for teh railway. He had come from the Rainy River division of the Canadian Northern where he was a fireman. He drove the "One-Spot" as the first engineer for the Howe Sound and Pemberton Valley Northern Railway. He was also an engineer for teh "Two-Spot" (now in Clarke Park) when the HS&PVN railway became the Pacific Great Eastern. He later left Squamish to work as an engineer in North Vancouver.
In 1912 Fred married a native girl in North Vancouver. They had 7 children, 4 boys and 3 girls. They lived on a float house in the Blind Channel in Squamish. During this time he fought fires in Upper Squamish.
In 1929 Fred quit when he was told that he would have to upgrade his skills in order to operate a work train instead of a logging train.
His wife died in 1933. His son Buzz died on November 6, 1972. He was survived by his wife Hazel and children Don, Maureen, and Richard.
In 1973 Fred moved to the Cedars. He passed away on May 26, 1983 in his 99th year.
- November 23, 1903 -
Jessie Judd was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd. She married Robert Stewart (Bert) Rae on December 27, 1927 and had three kids with him: Stewart James (Jimmy) on June 5, 1929; Catherine Anne (Anne - Mrs D.W. Davidson) on September 15, 1933; and Harry Stewart on January 27, 1935. Her husband was in a car accident at the entrance to Squamish in 1977. He died of complications as a result at age 86 on April 14, 1978. Her son Harry died in 1981.
- March 25, 1870 - February 3, 1952
Henry Judd was born to Thomas (of England) and Nancy (of Ontario), nee Reed. He came to Vancouver from Ontario by rail in 1889 and stayed with cousin Ozzie Wood. He wanted to farm and almost went to Bonapart Rally but his cousin was interested in Squamish.
On November 12, 1889, Henry started for Squamish on the S.S. Saturna with Bown, Simpson, Sutherland, Crawford, Creelman, and his cousin Wood. He was 19 years old at the time. He reached hsi claim on the mouth of the Squamish River on November 14, 1889. With his partners Creelman and Wood, he built a lean-to. The others had given up before reaching their claim. The area he pre-empted was later occupied by the Brennans. He had originally drawn a lot at the mouth of the Cheakamus River but did not like it. Judd, Creland, and Wood moved into a crude 10' x 12' log house that they built on November 22, 1889.
On December 20, 1889, he started out for Vancouver. The Indians were supposed to take them dwon the river but they were a week late; by this time Judd had already built a dug-out canoe. He stayed with his aunt in Vancouver that winter.
In 1890 he returned to Ontario to convince his parents to come to Squamish. This was the only time he ever returned to Ontario. Judd, his cousin A.H. (Bert) Crysler, H. Drummond, and E.G. Baynes started out for Squamish in a boat Judd and Crysler had built.
On May 3, 1890, Judd completed building a house on the property that would later be belong to the Brennans. Judd was joined by his parents, Mr and Mrs Thomas Judd, his sister Rilla, and his brother Wilby in 1892. By this time Harry had built an addition onto his home for them. On December 5, 1894 all the settlers turned out to help Judd raise his new log house which was 18' x 24' and a storey and a half high. Judd's parents, brother, and sister would remain in the houseon the Brennan property.
Henry Judd was engaged to Barbara Anne Edwards soonafter meeting her at a party at Mr Mashiter's. H.J. Edwards, Barbara Anne's brother brought up lumber for Harry Judd's new home (the current Farquharson place on Judd Road). On December 26, 1894, Henry Judd married Barbara Anne Edwards in Vancouver. The Bridesmaid was the bride's sister Mrs T.K. Bogart. They returned to Squamish the next day.
Olive, the first of 8 girls was born on September 27, 1895. Henry and Barbara Anne had 10 children in total: William Henry on March 1, 1897; Earl Thomas on March 6, 1898; Edith in 1900; Gertrude Ruth on April 21, 1902; Jessie on November 23, 1903; Myrtle in 1906; twins Jane and Clara on October 5, 1909; and Dorothy on April 7, 1913.
The Judd home was enlarged between 1909 and 1910. It burned down in January 1916 and was later rebuilt. It is now the home of his daughter Dorothy and her husband Mr R.E. Farquharson.
Henry's father, Thomas Judd died of a prostate problem in 1910. Henry Judd died at age 82 on February 3, 1952. Mrs Henry Judd died in Lynn Valley on December 16, 1968 at age 94.
An "old-timer" who lived at the K-YAU-tain reserve in the early 1900's.
Charlie Douglas is Ernie Harry's grandfather. He lived at this reserve and worked as a logger for Al Barbour.
- May 5, 1891 - June 21, 1980
Daisy was born in London, England to Mr and Mrs Phillip Hotchkiss. They came to Canada in 1897 and lived in Montreal. In October 1905, Daisy came to Squamish with her sister and brother in law, Mr and Mrs H.H. Gaunt. After arriving by boat, they had to ride to Brackendale on top of a ton of potatoes in the pouring rain.
On August 1, 1910, Daisy married Alfred Pinnegar Barnfield and went to England on their honeymoon. They had 4 children: Charles, Fred, William, and Mrs Vera Swann. They lived at Alta Lake.
In 1924 they moved to Wilson Crescent. Her husband died in 1960 and she died at age 89 on June 21, 1980.
- April 3, 1873 - December 16, 1967
Barbara Annie was born on April 3, 1873 to William and Mary (nee Tompkins) Edwards in Gore Bay, Ontario. His brother was Jack Edwards.
In 1888, she came to Vancouver with her parents by rail at age 15. They got off at Fort Langley. She came to Squamish in 1894 with Mr and Mrs Charles Rose who were working at the Squamish Valley Hop Company Ranch.
She married Henry Judd on December 26, 1894. They met at a party at Mr Mashiter's house.
See "Henry Judd" for more information.
- March 16, 1861
David Galbraith was born in St. Mary's, Ontario (1858). He married Laurie Green (born in 1868) and arrived in Gastown on December 1884. Their first daughter Doris was born in Agassiz on September 5, 1895. In 1896 they moved to Harrison River. He built a store and boarding house.
His second daughter, Jean, was born at Harrison Mills in 1897. In 1901 he sold the store and boarding house to Mr Kilby.
In 1902, he came to Squamish to build the first hotel. He bought a store from Mashiter. The family arrived in Squamish in 1906. That year he also built the Cheakamus House, a hunter's lodge by the Cheakumus River (across from the present location of Fergie's), with Dutch Charlie ("Cheakamus Charlie") who operated it. His third daughter, Isobel (Widge) was born in this hotel (she would be Mrs Stan Blake). The Cheakamus House was destroyed by a flood in 1940.
In 1912, he built a store called Squamish Interiors (north of Shell Station) that would later be the Adams & Adams store.
Doris married Frank Buckley on October 11, 1914. They were the first couple married in a church in Squamish.
Mrs Galbraith died in March 1944. There was a memorial of Brass Vases and Collection Plate in the Anglican Church.
Jean (Mrs Angus McRae) won the Good Citizenship Medal in 1950 for her work as a nurse. The same year the Galbraith Hotel was sold to Empire Mills for $14,000 and used as a bunkhouse. The hotel was used to film the movie "Presbyterian Church Wager". In the early 1970's, the hotel was used to film the movie "McCade and Mrs Miller". It was demolished in 1973.
David died at age 89 on February 26, 1951. Jean's husband died in 1964. Jean Galbraith McRae died in Burnaby on January 25, 1976. Doris Galbraith Buckley died on January 7, 1978.
Note: Herres is often misspelt as "Harris" or "Harries"
Peter had a brother named Matt. He came to the Squamish Valley in 1900. He lived in Upper Squamish on the Pilchuck River. He had 5 children, in order of age: Lizzie (Mrs Bill Turcotte), Mary, Belle, Ethel, and Jean. He later moved to Brackendale to farm in an area of Easter Seal Camp so that his children could go to school.
Lizzie died in 1926.
Harris Creek (now known as Meagre Creek) was named after him as a memorial.
W.A. Holland came to Squamish in 1910. He built a poolroom over McKinnon's restaurant. He also built the King George Hotel (which later became the Squamish Hotel). He sold the King George Hotel in 1912.
- October 5, 1909 -
Clara Judd was born to Barbara and Harry Judd on October 5, 1909. She was one of a set of twins; Jane had preceded her by half an hour.
At age 15, Clara was May Queen (1924). She later married Ernie Emms. Her sister Myrtle was a bridesmaid. She lived in West Vancouver. Ernie had been a marine engineer in the merchant marines during the war. He worked for Union Steamship Co. and then as engineer for Crown Zellerbach. They had no children.
- March 6, 1898 - June 1, 1969
Earl Thomas was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd in Vancouver. When he was 6 weeks gold, he got bronchial pneumonia (April 1898). He was so ill that his parents brought him to Vancouver in a Dug-out canoe on a stormy night.
In 1913 he hauled a steam donkey on the Squamish River 2 miles above the Cheekye with Jimmy Neil.
He married Gweyneth Grey Griffith (born in Clysach, Wales on June 11, 1900 to John Phillip and Gertrude Maude Grey). They had two children: Gwenyth E. (Mrs Bruce Kingham) and Phillip H. (wife named Betty).
Earl Thomas cut wood for the steam donkey used by Stoltz Logging from 1937 to 1940.
His died in Squamish at age 61 on March 23, 1962. He died at age 71 on June 1, 1969.
- September 27, 1895 - April 8, 1964
Born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.
Olive married William Webster in 1925. He was a baker and then worked in a dairy. He later lived on a soldier's pension after being wounded in World War I. He had been a member of the 72nd Highlanders.
Olive and William and two children: Thomas and Barbara Langstaff.
William died around 1950. Olive died at age 68 on April 8, 1964.
Kate Robertson married Allen Rae who had come to Canada from Scotland at age 21. They had a son (Oswald) and two daughters (Retta and Minnie). Minnie was born on January 17, 1888. The family left their farm in Manitoba as the wheat froze each winter. They came to Squamish in February 1889 where Kate's parents had alrady pre-empted. Allen hoped to find gold. They pre-empted near the present day railway shops.
Kate and Allen had seven more sons in Squamish: Thomas Edgar was the first white child to be born in the Squamish Valley (March 8, 1889), Wilfred (1891), Robert Stewart (1893), Herbert Lawson (June 15, 1894), Maurice (1896), Lawrence Johnson (1900), and Jimmie (around 1902).
Allen joined the hop industry around 1894. He grew hops in an area now known as North Yards. The farm would be 160 acres and was separated in 1921 when the Mamquam River changed its course. In 1904, Allen sold 20 acres of land to Jimmy Neil.
Allen died when he was blasting stumps on his farm. He did not wait long enough after he thought the fuse had gone out. The house near the railway shops was destroyed by a flood in 1908.
Around 1910, Kate bought a boarding house beside the Bracken Arms for the men working on the Howe Sound Northern Railway. The Lews, and then the Armstrongs were the successive owners.
Kate married Hugh Henry Mills in 1912. They lived in the house where Norm Halvorson later lived in 1984.
- January 17, 1888 - January 5, 1966
Minnie was born to Allen and Kate Rae on Junary 17, 1888 in Balmorl, Manitoba. She came to Squamish with her parents in 1889. She worked as a practical nurse for Doctor N.V. Paul.
She married Herbert Armstrong in 1912. He and D. McCallum owned and operated a store in Squamish. He was also a part owner of the post office which used to be located where the Seven Seas Restaurant later stood.
Minnie and Herb had 6 children: Mabel (Mrs Keith), Gertrude (Mrs Wilson), Margareta (Mrs McLeod), Bob, Jim, and Les. They lived on the corner right of the Spiral Trailer Court in an area known as "Armstrong's Corner".
Herbert Armstrong fell off a roof and died in 1925. Minnie continued to live at "Armstrong's Corner" in the area across from Mamquam School on Government Road. In 1953, she built an "Armstrong Barn".
Minnie died at age 78 on January 5, 1966.
- 1891 - October 29, 1968
Wilfred was born in Squamish to Allen and Kate Rae. He married and spent most of his life in the Cariboo.
Wilfred died in Squamish at age 77 on October 29, 1968.
- 1881 - 1968
Charles was born in Port Heron, Ontario. He married Maude Colliday in Flint Michigan (Maudes' hometown) on August 16, 1904. They homesteaded near Hanley, Saskatchewan.
In 1912, they left Saskatchewan. They stayed in Portland, Oregon until they located a home in Squamish. In 1913, Charles came to Squamish with his wife and three daughers: Thelma (Mrs S. Murphy), Sylvia (Mrs A. Musto), and Evelyn (Mrs W. Malm). In Squamish, their other children were born: Alta (Mrs J.E. Aldridge), Vera (Mrs J. Gulewich), Frances (Mrs A.L Pierce), Russel, Aileen (Mrs Hagglund), Esther (Mrs G. Audet), and Mavis Lamport. Betty (Mrs D. Stewart), the 2nd youngest, was born in Vancouver.
Mavis drawned in 1944 at 19 years of age.
Charles retired from the railway at age 65. Mrs Lamport died at age 81 on December 30, 1966 and Charles died in 1968 at 87 years.
- Mary 24, 1861 - October 21, 1963
Hank was born on Boblo Island on the Detroit River. He logged in Ontario as well as the the Southern United States. He was a strong liberal all his life. In the 1978 election, he voted twice; in Canada and the States.
He arrived in BC in 1900 with a survey party. In 1917, he came to Woodfibre where he worked as head boom man. He retired from Woodfibre in 1942.
In 1947, he moved to Squamish and lived in the home of Mrs M.G. Armstrong.
It was rumoured that when his doctor told him it give up smoking and drinking in 1958, he cut down to 3 shots of rum a day.
He applied for his last hunting license in 1958 and was given it "on the house".
Hank went blind in 1961. He would have his friends lead him to the polls on election day.
Hank died on October 21, 1963 as Squamish's oldest resident at 102 years old.
- 1915 - January 24, 1977
Norman was born in Squamish in 1915. He was the fifth of five sons (John, Alex, Scott, and Allan). He graduated from high school in Squamish around 1933.
Norm left Squamish to go east for a career in the aircraft industry from 1933 to 1944. He started out as a pontoon builder. Later, he worked as an aircraft inspector at Winnipeg, Montreal, and Amherst for the "Canadian Car and Foundary" and "MacDonald Bros Aircraft".
Norman married in Amherst in 1945. He came back to Squamish to live with his son Bill and daughters Heather (Mrs D. Tresierra) and Mrs G. Griffin. He worked in the logging industry and bought land from James Day.
In 1948, he worked for John Drenka of Howe Sound Timber. Norman began to work for Squamish Mills in 1949. He had this job until his death.
Norman died at age 61 on January 24, 1977.