George arrived in Squamish Valley around 1894. He married William Mashiter's niece, Thursa.
In 1907, Howe Sound Pemberton Valley Northern Railway bought his 42 acre island.
George arrived in Squamish Valley around 1894. He married William Mashiter's niece, Thursa.
In 1907, Howe Sound Pemberton Valley Northern Railway bought his 42 acre island.
Herbert Lawson was born in the North Yards area of Squamish to Allen and Kate Rae. He was a student in the first school. Around 1819, he joined the army and was assigned to Siberia. He later married Clara Lillian Nicholls, a teacher and the neice of Emily Carr. Clara was born on March 7, 1891 in England to Richard Nicholls and Clara Carr. They would have 6 children. The five that were alive in 1983 were Louise Riis, Herbert, Donny, David, and Betty Lorenz.
In the 1920's, Lawson was Government Road foreman when the road to Britannia was built. At one time he was Public Works Foreman. He was also a Dairy Farmer.
When Lawson died in December 1958, he had the only farm in active use in the Squamish Valley. His wife Clara died in 1976
Maurice was born to Allen and Kate Rae. He fought in World War I in 1918. He later worked for a transfer unit, on the culvert gang at the PGE, and as a gas mechanic for PGE.
Maurice married Hilda Magee in 1940. They had oen child, Margaretta Rae.
It was rumoured that when he drove a taxi in Squamish, he didn't have a driver's license. Maurice lived in Squamish his whole life.
Jimmie was born the youngest of 10 Rae children. He married Grace Braiathwaite and he died in 1981.
Oswald was born prior to 1888 as the oldest child of Allen and Kate Rae. He came to Squamish with his parents in February 1889.
Oswald married Doris Thorne around 1916. They had 4 children: Marjorie, Catherine, Irene (died) and Allan. He died in his early 30's.
Fred was born in Hillies, Prince Edward Ontario in 1862 to Sam Thorn and ? Chamberlain (mother). He was the descendent of the United Empire Loyalists who left the U.S.A. after the War of Independence.
In 1881 he filed a homestead in Manitoba. He later returned to his home town and married Cora Emma Terry. In April 1894, He came to Squamish to become manager of clearing and building operations at the Squamish Valley Hope Company.
He and Cora had five children, in order of age: Clifford, Edna, Ella, Doris, and Harold.
In 1914 he started raising short horn cattle at the Squamish Valley Hop Company Ranch. Due to prohibition in the 1920's, hop farming stopped and he rented the farm from its owners and farmed for 10 years.
His wife Cora died in 1946. He then lived with his son until his death at 7:15pm on Saturday 12, 1948.
Fred Magee was born in Point Grey, BC to Hugh (originally from Ireland) and Isabella (nee Crawford, formerly of Scotland). He came to Squamish in 1895 where his brother George was living. He married Ione Smith (born in 1886) and together they had 5 sons (Fred, Cameron, Leslie, David, and Robert) and 4 daughters (Ione Matheson, Edith Magee, Irene Tite, and Hilda Dublack).
From 1900 to 1910 he owned a second house on Main Street. He had a dairy farm where Weldwood Sawmill is now located.
In November 1904 he packed equipment from Squamish to the fish hatchery at Owl Creek. He later herded cattle to railway construction camps from Squamish to Pemberton.
Fred died and was bured in Squamish on November 1, 1960. Ione Maee died at age 87 on October 4, 1974.
Retta Rae was born prior to 1889 to Allen and Kate Rae. She came to Squamish with her parents in February 1889. She died in her early 20's due to complications of a broken hip.
Bert was born in 1893 to Allen and Kate Rae.
In 1913, he worked as a faller for Laviolette, McIntyre, and Levesque ("The French Boys"). In 1926, he was a hooktender at Craig and Taylor logging operation in Cheekye. He was also a trapper on Round Mountain.
Robert married Jessie Judd on December 27, 1927. They had three children: Stewart James (Jimmy) on June 5, 1929; Catherine Anne (Anne, to be Mrs D.W. Davison) on September 15, 1933;, and Harry Stewart on January 27, 1935.
Bert worked at Woodfibre. Jane started working at Woodfibre as well in December 1943. Bert left his work at Woodfibre in 1950.
Bert got in a car accident at the entrance to Squamish in 1977. He died of complications from the car accident at age 86 on April 14, 1978. Harry died in 1981.
Henry Judd was born to Thomas (of England) and Nancy (of Ontario), nee Reed. He came to Vancouver from Ontario by rail in 1889 and stayed with cousin Ozzie Wood. He wanted to farm and almost went to Bonapart Rally but his cousin was interested in Squamish.
On November 12, 1889, Henry started for Squamish on the S.S. Saturna with Bown, Simpson, Sutherland, Crawford, Creelman, and his cousin Wood. He was 19 years old at the time. He reached hsi claim on the mouth of the Squamish River on November 14, 1889. With his partners Creelman and Wood, he built a lean-to. The others had given up before reaching their claim. The area he pre-empted was later occupied by the Brennans. He had originally drawn a lot at the mouth of the Cheakamus River but did not like it. Judd, Creland, and Wood moved into a crude 10' x 12' log house that they built on November 22, 1889.
On December 20, 1889, he started out for Vancouver. The Indians were supposed to take them dwon the river but they were a week late; by this time Judd had already built a dug-out canoe. He stayed with his aunt in Vancouver that winter.
In 1890 he returned to Ontario to convince his parents to come to Squamish. This was the only time he ever returned to Ontario. Judd, his cousin A.H. (Bert) Crysler, H. Drummond, and E.G. Baynes started out for Squamish in a boat Judd and Crysler had built.
On May 3, 1890, Judd completed building a house on the property that would later be belong to the Brennans. Judd was joined by his parents, Mr and Mrs Thomas Judd, his sister Rilla, and his brother Wilby in 1892. By this time Harry had built an addition onto his home for them. On December 5, 1894 all the settlers turned out to help Judd raise his new log house which was 18' x 24' and a storey and a half high. Judd's parents, brother, and sister would remain in the houseon the Brennan property.
Henry Judd was engaged to Barbara Anne Edwards soonafter meeting her at a party at Mr Mashiter's. H.J. Edwards, Barbara Anne's brother brought up lumber for Harry Judd's new home (the current Farquharson place on Judd Road). On December 26, 1894, Henry Judd married Barbara Anne Edwards in Vancouver. The Bridesmaid was the bride's sister Mrs T.K. Bogart. They returned to Squamish the next day.
Olive, the first of 8 girls was born on September 27, 1895. Henry and Barbara Anne had 10 children in total: William Henry on March 1, 1897; Earl Thomas on March 6, 1898; Edith in 1900; Gertrude Ruth on April 21, 1902; Jessie on November 23, 1903; Myrtle in 1906; twins Jane and Clara on October 5, 1909; and Dorothy on April 7, 1913.
The Judd home was enlarged between 1909 and 1910. It burned down in January 1916 and was later rebuilt. It is now the home of his daughter Dorothy and her husband Mr R.E. Farquharson.
Henry's father, Thomas Judd died of a prostate problem in 1910. Henry Judd died at age 82 on February 3, 1952. Mrs Henry Judd died in Lynn Valley on December 16, 1968 at age 94.
Thomas Edgar was born on March 8, 1889 to Kate and Allen Rae as the first while child born in the Squamish Valley.
He married Christie Belle and had three children: Allan, Catherine (Mrs Freemento), and Marjorie (Mrs Trojer).
Thomas worked for the PGE. He also operated dairy and built houses in Squamish.
His wife Christie died on October 6, 1937. He was remarried to Edith Jones. Thomas died at age 73 on March 26, 1963. Edith died on day after Edgar.
Wilfred was born in Squamish to Allen and Kate Rae. He married and spent most of his life in the Cariboo.
Wilfred died in Squamish at age 77 on October 29, 1968.
Compton graduated from Oxford. He joined the crew of an English sailing ship and deserted the ship.
He came to Squamish around 1892. He married and lived on pre-emption in Upper Squamish. He took part in the Klondike Gold Rush around 1897.
Mr and Mrs Robertson were the first white settlers in the Squamish Valley. They came from Manitoba to homestead on the banks of the Mamquam River. The area where they lived is in the current location of the industrial park.
In February 1889, their daughter Catherine and her husband Allen Rae came to Squamish. They had another daughter, Minerva, who would often visit her sister in Squamish.
Alice was married to Charles Rose. Charles worked at the Squamish Valley Hop Co. hop ranch. Alice was the ranch cook. Charles built a log house alongside the slough by the hop ranch. In 1898 Charles became manager of the hop ranch.
In 1893, Alice became the first white woman to visit the lake that became her namesake (Alice Lake).
Harold was born in Ashford, Kent, England in 1889 or 1890. He came to Canada in 1912 and worked at the CNR shops in Winnipeg until 1920. From 1920 to 1928, he worked at the CNR shops in New Westminster. In 1928, he came to Squamish to work for PGE. In 1930, he worked for PGE as chief mechanic.
He died at age 81 on July 7, 1971.
James was born in Glen Mavis, Midlothian, Scotland. He grew up in Scotland with 8 brothers and 1 sister. On March 26, 1910, he left Bathgate, Scotland and boarded the "Cassandria". He arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia on April 7, 1910. On April 13, 1910, he arrived in Vancouver by train. He worked in the coal mines in Nanaimo.
On December 28, 1916, he married Janet (born in Glasgow on August 19, 1894) at the Nanaimo Methodist Church. They had 3 children: Fred, James, and Mrs Marion Bochon.
In 1917, James came to Squamish to work for the PGE. He started as a "wiper", cleaning engines. He also worked as a fireman. He retired from the railway in 1952 after being an engineer for 35 years.
He built a home at 37789 Cleveland Avenue. His son Fred died.
On May 20, 1977, he took part in inaugural run celebrations for the Royal Hudson with Mayor Pat Brennan and Honourable Grace McCarthy.
His wife Janet died in June 1981. He died during one of his trips to Prince George to visit his son James and his sixth great grandchild in December 1983.
Charles was born in Port Heron, Ontario. He married Maude Colliday in Flint Michigan (Maudes' hometown) on August 16, 1904. They homesteaded near Hanley, Saskatchewan.
In 1912, they left Saskatchewan. They stayed in Portland, Oregon until they located a home in Squamish. In 1913, Charles came to Squamish with his wife and three daughers: Thelma (Mrs S. Murphy), Sylvia (Mrs A. Musto), and Evelyn (Mrs W. Malm). In Squamish, their other children were born: Alta (Mrs J.E. Aldridge), Vera (Mrs J. Gulewich), Frances (Mrs A.L Pierce), Russel, Aileen (Mrs Hagglund), Esther (Mrs G. Audet), and Mavis Lamport. Betty (Mrs D. Stewart), the 2nd youngest, was born in Vancouver.
Mavis drawned in 1944 at 19 years of age.
Charles retired from the railway at age 65. Mrs Lamport died at age 81 on December 30, 1966 and Charles died in 1968 at 87 years.
Hank was born on Boblo Island on the Detroit River. He logged in Ontario as well as the the Southern United States. He was a strong liberal all his life. In the 1978 election, he voted twice; in Canada and the States.
He arrived in BC in 1900 with a survey party. In 1917, he came to Woodfibre where he worked as head boom man. He retired from Woodfibre in 1942.
In 1947, he moved to Squamish and lived in the home of Mrs M.G. Armstrong.
It was rumoured that when his doctor told him it give up smoking and drinking in 1958, he cut down to 3 shots of rum a day.
He applied for his last hunting license in 1958 and was given it "on the house".
Hank went blind in 1961. He would have his friends lead him to the polls on election day.
Hank died on October 21, 1963 as Squamish's oldest resident at 102 years old.
Norman was born in Squamish in 1915. He was the fifth of five sons (John, Alex, Scott, and Allan). He graduated from high school in Squamish around 1933.
Norm left Squamish to go east for a career in the aircraft industry from 1933 to 1944. He started out as a pontoon builder. Later, he worked as an aircraft inspector at Winnipeg, Montreal, and Amherst for the "Canadian Car and Foundary" and "MacDonald Bros Aircraft".
Norman married in Amherst in 1945. He came back to Squamish to live with his son Bill and daughters Heather (Mrs D. Tresierra) and Mrs G. Griffin. He worked in the logging industry and bought land from James Day.
In 1948, he worked for John Drenka of Howe Sound Timber. Norman began to work for Squamish Mills in 1949. He had this job until his death.
Norman died at age 61 on January 24, 1977.
Isobel was born in Glencoe, Nova Scotia. She was married to Duncan MacDonald and had four boys: Alex (December 1894), Johnny (May 28, 1895), Scott (June 29, 1896), and Allan (March 9, 1912).
Isobel came to Squamish with her husband and four sons in 1914. They had their fifth son in Squamish (Norman, 1915).
Isobel died at the age of 77 on February 19, 1949.
Roderick Mackenzie was born in Scotland. He was the son of Murdo Mackenzie.
Around 1899, he served with the Highland Regiment in South Africa during the Boer War. He was a close friend of Indian leader, Mahatma Ghandi. He sold goods by ox-cart in anti-British sectors of South Africa.
Roderick married Elizabeth Maclagan and settled in North America in 1908. In 1912, he came to the "boom town" of Squamish and bought a lot on Cleveland Avenue (in the later location of the IGA parking lot) for $2000. On this land he established a men's clothing store in partnership with Bob Fraser. This was the first of his department store chain. When the land boom ended, he purchased the adjoining lot for $50. The store completely burned down in 1917. Roderick purchased the building across the street and started to rebuild on the old store's site.
In 1918, Roderick opened a store in Williams Lake. He would later live in Williams Lake for many years becoming a charter member of the Board Trade, a prominent member of the Masonic Lodge and chairman of the War Memorial Hospital there.
Roderick later bought out Lake's store (located where the IGA would later be) that sold groceries and clothing. He returned to his rebuilt store when the man who owned the Lake's property raised the rent. He added a lean-to to the old store in order to include a grocery department. He later returned to the site of the Lake's store as the owner.
In 1921, his business in Williams Lake burned down. It was later rebuilt.
In 1928, he represented the Cariboo in the Provincial Legislature from 1928 to 1932. He became known as the "Laird of the Cariboo".
His store opened in Wells in the 1930's. During the floods in Squamish, Mackenzies' always provided supplies of ready to eat foods for the town's flood victims. He helped the war effort in 1944 by producing carloads of hogs for export. His ranch was the old Squamish Valley Hop Company ranch.
The Wells store closed in 1951 and Roderick added fifty feet to the store on Cleveland Avenue.
In 1954, Roderick's son, Alistair, took over the Squamish store.
Roderick's wife died in March 1957. Roderick died at 89 years of age on April 29, 1957.
The Mackenzies Shopping Center closed on March 16, 1966. It had been run by Roderick's son, Alistair. The store was later replaced by the IGA.
Freda Clarke was born in Zurich, Switzerland and came to Canada when she was three years old. She lived near Powell River for six years before the family moved to Vancouver where they lived for a number of years.
She first came to Squamish in 1927 to teach primary school at the old Mashiter School which was torn down when the new west wing of Howe Sound Secondary School was built. In 1935, she married Alex Munro and they moved to Quesnel for a year where their first child Dan was born. Later they moved back to Squamish and lived in a house across from the present Mamquam Elementary School before moving to the house on Second Avenue where she lived for many years.
Her husband was killed when a PGE train plunged into Seton Lake in January 1950 and for a number of years she returned to her profession, acting as a substitute teacher whenever she was needed.
In 1963 she married the late Stan Clarke who predeceased her by two years. She was survived by her two sons, Colonel Dan Munro in Germany and Richard of 100 Mile House, and her daughter Lynette Halvorson of Squamish.
Freda Clarke loved growing flowers and vegetables and taking fruit from her garden to her friends. Many people received a thoughtful gift of a bowl of raspberries or a basket of cherries.
Her funeral was held in the Squamish United Church on Thursday, July 7, 1983 at 2pm and followed by interment in Mount Garibaldi Cemetery.
William was born in Sligo County, Ireland to Peter and Catherine (Lytle) Shannon. Around 1845, the family moved to Lindsay, Ontario and began farming. William went to public school in Lindsay and wanted to become a farmer.
In May 1862, he arrived in California by the Panama route. In 1963, he arrived in New Westminster, BC after working his way up the coast. He became a partner to his brother, Thomas, in a road contracting business. They built Mary Street in New Westminster.
In 1864, he and William Parson bought land on the North side of Lulu Island. He started the first trading post in the south end of the Okanagan country and Kootenay in 1865. In 1866, he took charge of a small party, who started from Big Bend mines on the Columbia River, in order to explore the country. He sold out his partnership.
From 1866 to 1869, he mined at Big Bend, Columbia River, Goldstream, McUllis, French Creek, and Camp Creek. He helped to improve the method of saving fine gold.
In 1868, he began stock raising and farming with his brother Thomas David in Chiliwack. The Shannon family was the first to import Ayreshire cattle from Scotland to BC and introduced purebred Berkshire pigs and Clydesdale horses. Thomas David was the first man to bring New Hampshire chickens to BC.
In 1869, he began fur trading in various areas. He then became interested in cattle ranching in 1870. William drove the first large freight wagon to the Cariboo Mines, Williams Creek, and Barkerville in 1871.
In 1873, he helped form the first municipality on the mainland at Chilliwack, serving as a member of the council. In 1874, he helped the government compose and draft the first municipal act in BC for Chilliwack. Subsequently, he served as a member of the first council.
William was involved in the lumber business from 1876 to 1881. In 1881, he built a farm on the east side of Granville (south of 57th).
He married Eliza Jane McIndoo in 1886. In 1887, he settled in Vancouver and became a real estate broker. His first partner was J.Z. Hall.
His son William Lloyd was born on October 23, 1887. He visited the Squamish Valley in 1888 and declared it to be "fertile and good for settlers". He bought a lot of land in the Valley including the area of Shannon Falls and Darrell Bay.
In September 1888, he formed a partnership with Charles McLachlan in Real estate and insurance as financial agents. The Squamish Valley Hope Raising Co. Ranch was formed in 1891 and he became President.
In July 1894, the Foreman of roads in South Vancouver (J. McRorie) was murdered on Shannon's Place.
In 1899, he wrote "British Columbia and its Resources" and served on the first Grand Jury held in Vancouver.
In 1906, thirty Fraser Valley farmers followed Shannon to farms on Graham Island in the Queen Charlottes. In 1907, William joined George Martin in the firm of Martin and Shannon, owners of land on Sea Island and Potlatch Creek.
William sold 300 acres of land to Mr Sullivan of Surrey for $16,000 on August 2, 1909. He also sold a 40 acre farm to Jonathan Rogers of Rogers Building for $50,000 in cash in 1928.
His son William died on December 26, 1922. William Shannon died on on February 2, 1928 and was buried in Internment Ocean View Burial Park. His wife died at age 77 on June 16, 1932.
Memorials: Shannon Falls, Shannon Park (property part of old Shannon farm. Owned jointly by Park and School Board), and Shannon Road.
Gertrude Ruth was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.
She worked for MGM in Hollywood and met many movie stars including Greta Garbo.
Gertrude Ruth married Lawrence Holmes and they had two children: Jeannie (Mrs Pickthall), around 1934, and Peter in 1945.
She lived in Los Angeles and died in Oregon in 1970 of Leukemia.