Affichage de 264 résultatsfichier d'autorité
- January 17, 1888 - January 5, 1966
Minnie was born to Allen and Kate Rae on Junary 17, 1888 in Balmorl, Manitoba. She came to Squamish with her parents in 1889. She worked as a practical nurse for Doctor N.V. Paul.
She married Herbert Armstrong in 1912. He and D. McCallum owned and operated a store in Squamish. He was also a part owner of the post office which used to be located where the Seven Seas Restaurant later stood.
Minnie and Herb had 6 children: Mabel (Mrs Keith), Gertrude (Mrs Wilson), Margareta (Mrs McLeod), Bob, Jim, and Les. They lived on the corner right of the Spiral Trailer Court in an area known as "Armstrong's Corner".
Herbert Armstrong fell off a roof and died in 1925. Minnie continued to live at "Armstrong's Corner" in the area across from Mamquam School on Government Road. In 1953, she built an "Armstrong Barn".
Minnie died at age 78 on January 5, 1966.
- October 5, 1909 -
Clara Judd was born to Barbara and Harry Judd on October 5, 1909. She was one of a set of twins; Jane had preceded her by half an hour.
At age 15, Clara was May Queen (1924). She later married Ernie Emms. Her sister Myrtle was a bridesmaid. She lived in West Vancouver. Ernie had been a marine engineer in the merchant marines during the war. He worked for Union Steamship Co. and then as engineer for Crown Zellerbach. They had no children.
- October 5, 1909 -
Jane was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd. She preceded her twin sister Clara by half an hour.
She married Ole Hansen and they had a daughter, Annette.
- June 39, 1900 -
Edith was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd. She was married to Geroge Webster. he had come to the Judd's house to find work. He and 3 other young men made an excellent Barbershop Quartet. George was Olive Judd's husband's uncle.
They had 4 daughters: Joyce (Mrs Smith) in 1926, Elaine in 1928, Judy (Mrs Silva) in 1930, and Jnet (Mrs Odenheimer) in 1932. Elaine died in 1949.
- April 21, 1902 - 1970
Gertrude Ruth was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.
She worked for MGM in Hollywood and met many movie stars including Greta Garbo.
Gertrude Ruth married Lawrence Holmes and they had two children: Jeannie (Mrs Pickthall), around 1934, and Peter in 1945.
She lived in Los Angeles and died in Oregon in 1970 of Leukemia.
- February 19, 1841 - February 2, 1928
William was born in Sligo County, Ireland to Peter and Catherine (Lytle) Shannon. Around 1845, the family moved to Lindsay, Ontario and began farming. William went to public school in Lindsay and wanted to become a farmer.
In May 1862, he arrived in California by the Panama route. In 1963, he arrived in New Westminster, BC after working his way up the coast. He became a partner to his brother, Thomas, in a road contracting business. They built Mary Street in New Westminster.
In 1864, he and William Parson bought land on the North side of Lulu Island. He started the first trading post in the south end of the Okanagan country and Kootenay in 1865. In 1866, he took charge of a small party, who started from Big Bend mines on the Columbia River, in order to explore the country. He sold out his partnership.
From 1866 to 1869, he mined at Big Bend, Columbia River, Goldstream, McUllis, French Creek, and Camp Creek. He helped to improve the method of saving fine gold.
In 1868, he began stock raising and farming with his brother Thomas David in Chiliwack. The Shannon family was the first to import Ayreshire cattle from Scotland to BC and introduced purebred Berkshire pigs and Clydesdale horses. Thomas David was the first man to bring New Hampshire chickens to BC.
In 1869, he began fur trading in various areas. He then became interested in cattle ranching in 1870. William drove the first large freight wagon to the Cariboo Mines, Williams Creek, and Barkerville in 1871.
In 1873, he helped form the first municipality on the mainland at Chilliwack, serving as a member of the council. In 1874, he helped the government compose and draft the first municipal act in BC for Chilliwack. Subsequently, he served as a member of the first council.
William was involved in the lumber business from 1876 to 1881. In 1881, he built a farm on the east side of Granville (south of 57th).
He married Eliza Jane McIndoo in 1886. In 1887, he settled in Vancouver and became a real estate broker. His first partner was J.Z. Hall.
His son William Lloyd was born on October 23, 1887. He visited the Squamish Valley in 1888 and declared it to be "fertile and good for settlers". He bought a lot of land in the Valley including the area of Shannon Falls and Darrell Bay.
In September 1888, he formed a partnership with Charles McLachlan in Real estate and insurance as financial agents. The Squamish Valley Hope Raising Co. Ranch was formed in 1891 and he became President.
In July 1894, the Foreman of roads in South Vancouver (J. McRorie) was murdered on Shannon's Place.
In 1899, he wrote "British Columbia and its Resources" and served on the first Grand Jury held in Vancouver.
In 1906, thirty Fraser Valley farmers followed Shannon to farms on Graham Island in the Queen Charlottes. In 1907, William joined George Martin in the firm of Martin and Shannon, owners of land on Sea Island and Potlatch Creek.
William sold 300 acres of land to Mr Sullivan of Surrey for $16,000 on August 2, 1909. He also sold a 40 acre farm to Jonathan Rogers of Rogers Building for $50,000 in cash in 1928.
His son William died on December 26, 1922. William Shannon died on on February 2, 1928 and was buried in Internment Ocean View Burial Park. His wife died at age 77 on June 16, 1932.
Memorials: Shannon Falls, Shannon Park (property part of old Shannon farm. Owned jointly by Park and School Board), and Shannon Road.
- 1907 - July 3, 1983
Freda Clarke was born in Zurich, Switzerland and came to Canada when she was three years old. She lived near Powell River for six years before the family moved to Vancouver where they lived for a number of years.
She first came to Squamish in 1927 to teach primary school at the old Mashiter School which was torn down when the new west wing of Howe Sound Secondary School was built. In 1935, she married Alex Munro and they moved to Quesnel for a year where their first child Dan was born. Later they moved back to Squamish and lived in a house across from the present Mamquam Elementary School before moving to the house on Second Avenue where she lived for many years.
Her husband was killed when a PGE train plunged into Seton Lake in January 1950 and for a number of years she returned to her profession, acting as a substitute teacher whenever she was needed.
In 1963 she married the late Stan Clarke who predeceased her by two years. She was survived by her two sons, Colonel Dan Munro in Germany and Richard of 100 Mile House, and her daughter Lynette Halvorson of Squamish.
Freda Clarke loved growing flowers and vegetables and taking fruit from her garden to her friends. Many people received a thoughtful gift of a bowl of raspberries or a basket of cherries.
Her funeral was held in the Squamish United Church on Thursday, July 7, 1983 at 2pm and followed by interment in Mount Garibaldi Cemetery.
- January 5, 1868 - April 29, 1957
Roderick Mackenzie was born in Scotland. He was the son of Murdo Mackenzie.
Around 1899, he served with the Highland Regiment in South Africa during the Boer War. He was a close friend of Indian leader, Mahatma Ghandi. He sold goods by ox-cart in anti-British sectors of South Africa.
Roderick married Elizabeth Maclagan and settled in North America in 1908. In 1912, he came to the "boom town" of Squamish and bought a lot on Cleveland Avenue (in the later location of the IGA parking lot) for $2000. On this land he established a men's clothing store in partnership with Bob Fraser. This was the first of his department store chain. When the land boom ended, he purchased the adjoining lot for $50. The store completely burned down in 1917. Roderick purchased the building across the street and started to rebuild on the old store's site.
In 1918, Roderick opened a store in Williams Lake. He would later live in Williams Lake for many years becoming a charter member of the Board Trade, a prominent member of the Masonic Lodge and chairman of the War Memorial Hospital there.
Roderick later bought out Lake's store (located where the IGA would later be) that sold groceries and clothing. He returned to his rebuilt store when the man who owned the Lake's property raised the rent. He added a lean-to to the old store in order to include a grocery department. He later returned to the site of the Lake's store as the owner.
In 1921, his business in Williams Lake burned down. It was later rebuilt.
In 1928, he represented the Cariboo in the Provincial Legislature from 1928 to 1932. He became known as the "Laird of the Cariboo".
His store opened in Wells in the 1930's. During the floods in Squamish, Mackenzies' always provided supplies of ready to eat foods for the town's flood victims. He helped the war effort in 1944 by producing carloads of hogs for export. His ranch was the old Squamish Valley Hop Company ranch.
The Wells store closed in 1951 and Roderick added fifty feet to the store on Cleveland Avenue.
In 1954, Roderick's son, Alistair, took over the Squamish store.
Roderick's wife died in March 1957. Roderick died at 89 years of age on April 29, 1957.
The Mackenzies Shopping Center closed on March 16, 1966. It had been run by Roderick's son, Alistair. The store was later replaced by the IGA.
- 1874 - February 19, 1949
Isobel was born in Glencoe, Nova Scotia. She was married to Duncan MacDonald and had four boys: Alex (December 1894), Johnny (May 28, 1895), Scott (June 29, 1896), and Allan (March 9, 1912).
Isobel came to Squamish with her husband and four sons in 1914. They had their fifth son in Squamish (Norman, 1915).
Isobel died at the age of 77 on February 19, 1949.
- 1915 - January 24, 1977
Norman was born in Squamish in 1915. He was the fifth of five sons (John, Alex, Scott, and Allan). He graduated from high school in Squamish around 1933.
Norm left Squamish to go east for a career in the aircraft industry from 1933 to 1944. He started out as a pontoon builder. Later, he worked as an aircraft inspector at Winnipeg, Montreal, and Amherst for the "Canadian Car and Foundary" and "MacDonald Bros Aircraft".
Norman married in Amherst in 1945. He came back to Squamish to live with his son Bill and daughters Heather (Mrs D. Tresierra) and Mrs G. Griffin. He worked in the logging industry and bought land from James Day.
In 1948, he worked for John Drenka of Howe Sound Timber. Norman began to work for Squamish Mills in 1949. He had this job until his death.
Norman died at age 61 on January 24, 1977.
- Mary 24, 1861 - October 21, 1963
Hank was born on Boblo Island on the Detroit River. He logged in Ontario as well as the the Southern United States. He was a strong liberal all his life. In the 1978 election, he voted twice; in Canada and the States.
He arrived in BC in 1900 with a survey party. In 1917, he came to Woodfibre where he worked as head boom man. He retired from Woodfibre in 1942.
In 1947, he moved to Squamish and lived in the home of Mrs M.G. Armstrong.
It was rumoured that when his doctor told him it give up smoking and drinking in 1958, he cut down to 3 shots of rum a day.
He applied for his last hunting license in 1958 and was given it "on the house".
Hank went blind in 1961. He would have his friends lead him to the polls on election day.
Hank died on October 21, 1963 as Squamish's oldest resident at 102 years old.
- 1881 - 1968
Charles was born in Port Heron, Ontario. He married Maude Colliday in Flint Michigan (Maudes' hometown) on August 16, 1904. They homesteaded near Hanley, Saskatchewan.
In 1912, they left Saskatchewan. They stayed in Portland, Oregon until they located a home in Squamish. In 1913, Charles came to Squamish with his wife and three daughers: Thelma (Mrs S. Murphy), Sylvia (Mrs A. Musto), and Evelyn (Mrs W. Malm). In Squamish, their other children were born: Alta (Mrs J.E. Aldridge), Vera (Mrs J. Gulewich), Frances (Mrs A.L Pierce), Russel, Aileen (Mrs Hagglund), Esther (Mrs G. Audet), and Mavis Lamport. Betty (Mrs D. Stewart), the 2nd youngest, was born in Vancouver.
Mavis drawned in 1944 at 19 years of age.
Charles retired from the railway at age 65. Mrs Lamport died at age 81 on December 30, 1966 and Charles died in 1968 at 87 years.
- December 16, 1885 - December 31, 1983
James was born in Glen Mavis, Midlothian, Scotland. He grew up in Scotland with 8 brothers and 1 sister. On March 26, 1910, he left Bathgate, Scotland and boarded the "Cassandria". He arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia on April 7, 1910. On April 13, 1910, he arrived in Vancouver by train. He worked in the coal mines in Nanaimo.
On December 28, 1916, he married Janet (born in Glasgow on August 19, 1894) at the Nanaimo Methodist Church. They had 3 children: Fred, James, and Mrs Marion Bochon.
In 1917, James came to Squamish to work for the PGE. He started as a "wiper", cleaning engines. He also worked as a fireman. He retired from the railway in 1952 after being an engineer for 35 years.
He built a home at 37789 Cleveland Avenue. His son Fred died.
On May 20, 1977, he took part in inaugural run celebrations for the Royal Hudson with Mayor Pat Brennan and Honourable Grace McCarthy.
His wife Janet died in June 1981. He died during one of his trips to Prince George to visit his son James and his sixth great grandchild in December 1983.
- ~1889 - July 7, 1971
Harold was born in Ashford, Kent, England in 1889 or 1890. He came to Canada in 1912 and worked at the CNR shops in Winnipeg until 1920. From 1920 to 1928, he worked at the CNR shops in New Westminster. In 1928, he came to Squamish to work for PGE. In 1930, he worked for PGE as chief mechanic.
He died at age 81 on July 7, 1971.
Alice was married to Charles Rose. Charles worked at the Squamish Valley Hop Co. hop ranch. Alice was the ranch cook. Charles built a log house alongside the slough by the hop ranch. In 1898 Charles became manager of the hop ranch.
In 1893, Alice became the first white woman to visit the lake that became her namesake (Alice Lake).