Showing 245 resultsAuthority record
- 1897 -
Scott MacDonald was born in 1897 30 miles outside of Halifax in Nova Scotia. In 1912, he arrived in Squamish with his parents Duncan and Isobel MacDonald and his three brothers Alex, John, and Allen. In 1915 his forth brother Norman was born. They settled where Jimmie Niel's farm was.
In 1913 he was hired as a faller for the "French Boys". He would also be a high rigger at various logging camps and work for public works building a road to Upper Squamish.
On December 23, 1926 he married Mildred Schoonover and they lived in the PGE shop houses. He worked for the PGE as a trainman from 1928 to 1926 when he retired after 28 years of service. Scott and Mildred have also lived in the Schoonover's log cabin and 38890 Bowen Avenue.
- January 3, 1902 -
Born in Pennsylvannia to Charles and Elvira (nee Bump) Schoonover, Mildred's family moved a tiny cabin to Upper Squamish (opposite the BC Hydro power house) on 156 acres. She had an elder sister Mary who stayed with her grandparents in Pennsylvannia until she joined the family in Squamish in 1914, later becoming Mrs Bruce Wright. Her younger brother Robert was born in Squamish 1905 and was delivered by an Indian woman.
Mildred married Scott MacDonald on December 23, 1926 and they lived in the PGE shop houses. Scott MacDonald worked for the PGE as a trainman from 1928 to 1926 when he retired after 28 years of service. Scott and Mildred have also lived in the Schoonover's log cabin and 38890 Bowen Avenue.
- 1874 - February 19, 1949
Isobel was born in Glencoe, Nova Scotia. She was married to Duncan MacDonald and had four boys: Alex (December 1894), Johnny (May 28, 1895), Scott (June 29, 1896), and Allan (March 9, 1912).
Isobel came to Squamish with her husband and four sons in 1914. They had their fifth son in Squamish (Norman, 1915).
Isobel died at the age of 77 on February 19, 1949.
- 1915 - January 24, 1977
Norman was born in Squamish in 1915. He was the fifth of five sons (John, Alex, Scott, and Allan). He graduated from high school in Squamish around 1933.
Norm left Squamish to go east for a career in the aircraft industry from 1933 to 1944. He started out as a pontoon builder. Later, he worked as an aircraft inspector at Winnipeg, Montreal, and Amherst for the "Canadian Car and Foundary" and "MacDonald Bros Aircraft".
Norman married in Amherst in 1945. He came back to Squamish to live with his son Bill and daughters Heather (Mrs D. Tresierra) and Mrs G. Griffin. He worked in the logging industry and bought land from James Day.
In 1948, he worked for John Drenka of Howe Sound Timber. Norman began to work for Squamish Mills in 1949. He had this job until his death.
Norman died at age 61 on January 24, 1977.
- Mary 24, 1861 - October 21, 1963
Hank was born on Boblo Island on the Detroit River. He logged in Ontario as well as the the Southern United States. He was a strong liberal all his life. In the 1978 election, he voted twice; in Canada and the States.
He arrived in BC in 1900 with a survey party. In 1917, he came to Woodfibre where he worked as head boom man. He retired from Woodfibre in 1942.
In 1947, he moved to Squamish and lived in the home of Mrs M.G. Armstrong.
It was rumoured that when his doctor told him it give up smoking and drinking in 1958, he cut down to 3 shots of rum a day.
He applied for his last hunting license in 1958 and was given it "on the house".
Hank went blind in 1961. He would have his friends lead him to the polls on election day.
Hank died on October 21, 1963 as Squamish's oldest resident at 102 years old.
- 1881 - 1968
Charles was born in Port Heron, Ontario. He married Maude Colliday in Flint Michigan (Maudes' hometown) on August 16, 1904. They homesteaded near Hanley, Saskatchewan.
In 1912, they left Saskatchewan. They stayed in Portland, Oregon until they located a home in Squamish. In 1913, Charles came to Squamish with his wife and three daughers: Thelma (Mrs S. Murphy), Sylvia (Mrs A. Musto), and Evelyn (Mrs W. Malm). In Squamish, their other children were born: Alta (Mrs J.E. Aldridge), Vera (Mrs J. Gulewich), Frances (Mrs A.L Pierce), Russel, Aileen (Mrs Hagglund), Esther (Mrs G. Audet), and Mavis Lamport. Betty (Mrs D. Stewart), the 2nd youngest, was born in Vancouver.
Mavis drawned in 1944 at 19 years of age.
Charles retired from the railway at age 65. Mrs Lamport died at age 81 on December 30, 1966 and Charles died in 1968 at 87 years.
- March 1, 1897 - January 1919
William Henry was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd.
William Henry joined the army around 1917 after the fire at the Judd house. He was later discharged from the army. After he came home he got the Asian flu. He was sick for one week and died in January 1919.
- December 7, 1875 - March 7, 1961
Born to Thomas (of England) and Nancy Almira (nee Read of Ontario) Judd. Thomas Wilby came to Squamish with his parents and sister Rilla in 1892. He lived with his brother Henry (Harry).
In 1894, Thomas was the best man for his sister Marilla's marriage to Jim Edwards. He himself remained a bachelor.
In 1913, Thomas partnered with Kenneth Dondale in the Howe Sound Realty Co. Squamish was then known as Newport and was experiencing a landboom. He lived in a cabin he had built on Shadow Lake (in the general area of Alpine Lodge). He was forced to move when BC Hudro flooded for the construction of Daisy Laje Dam. He moved to Cheakamus where he had a fntastic rock garden.
- March 25, 1870 - February 3, 1952
Henry Judd was born to Thomas (of England) and Nancy (of Ontario), nee Reed. He came to Vancouver from Ontario by rail in 1889 and stayed with cousin Ozzie Wood. He wanted to farm and almost went to Bonapart Rally but his cousin was interested in Squamish.
On November 12, 1889, Henry started for Squamish on the S.S. Saturna with Bown, Simpson, Sutherland, Crawford, Creelman, and his cousin Wood. He was 19 years old at the time. He reached hsi claim on the mouth of the Squamish River on November 14, 1889. With his partners Creelman and Wood, he built a lean-to. The others had given up before reaching their claim. The area he pre-empted was later occupied by the Brennans. He had originally drawn a lot at the mouth of the Cheakamus River but did not like it. Judd, Creland, and Wood moved into a crude 10' x 12' log house that they built on November 22, 1889.
On December 20, 1889, he started out for Vancouver. The Indians were supposed to take them dwon the river but they were a week late; by this time Judd had already built a dug-out canoe. He stayed with his aunt in Vancouver that winter.
In 1890 he returned to Ontario to convince his parents to come to Squamish. This was the only time he ever returned to Ontario. Judd, his cousin A.H. (Bert) Crysler, H. Drummond, and E.G. Baynes started out for Squamish in a boat Judd and Crysler had built.
On May 3, 1890, Judd completed building a house on the property that would later be belong to the Brennans. Judd was joined by his parents, Mr and Mrs Thomas Judd, his sister Rilla, and his brother Wilby in 1892. By this time Harry had built an addition onto his home for them. On December 5, 1894 all the settlers turned out to help Judd raise his new log house which was 18' x 24' and a storey and a half high. Judd's parents, brother, and sister would remain in the houseon the Brennan property.
Henry Judd was engaged to Barbara Anne Edwards soonafter meeting her at a party at Mr Mashiter's. H.J. Edwards, Barbara Anne's brother brought up lumber for Harry Judd's new home (the current Farquharson place on Judd Road). On December 26, 1894, Henry Judd married Barbara Anne Edwards in Vancouver. The Bridesmaid was the bride's sister Mrs T.K. Bogart. They returned to Squamish the next day.
Olive, the first of 8 girls was born on September 27, 1895. Henry and Barbara Anne had 10 children in total: William Henry on March 1, 1897; Earl Thomas on March 6, 1898; Edith in 1900; Gertrude Ruth on April 21, 1902; Jessie on November 23, 1903; Myrtle in 1906; twins Jane and Clara on October 5, 1909; and Dorothy on April 7, 1913.
The Judd home was enlarged between 1909 and 1910. It burned down in January 1916 and was later rebuilt. It is now the home of his daughter Dorothy and her husband Mr R.E. Farquharson.
Henry's father, Thomas Judd died of a prostate problem in 1910. Henry Judd died at age 82 on February 3, 1952. Mrs Henry Judd died in Lynn Valley on December 16, 1968 at age 94.
- March 6, 1898 - June 1, 1969
Earl Thomas was born to Henry and Barbara Anne (nee Edwards) Judd in Vancouver. When he was 6 weeks gold, he got bronchial pneumonia (April 1898). He was so ill that his parents brought him to Vancouver in a Dug-out canoe on a stormy night.
In 1913 he hauled a steam donkey on the Squamish River 2 miles above the Cheekye with Jimmy Neil.
He married Gweyneth Grey Griffith (born in Clysach, Wales on June 11, 1900 to John Phillip and Gertrude Maude Grey). They had two children: Gwenyth E. (Mrs Bruce Kingham) and Phillip H. (wife named Betty).
Earl Thomas cut wood for the steam donkey used by Stoltz Logging from 1937 to 1940.
His died in Squamish at age 61 on March 23, 1962. He died at age 71 on June 1, 1969.
- April 3, 1873 - December 16, 1967
Barbara Annie was born on April 3, 1873 to William and Mary (nee Tompkins) Edwards in Gore Bay, Ontario. His brother was Jack Edwards.
In 1888, she came to Vancouver with her parents by rail at age 15. They got off at Fort Langley. She came to Squamish in 1894 with Mr and Mrs Charles Rose who were working at the Squamish Valley Hop Company Ranch.
She married Henry Judd on December 26, 1894. They met at a party at Mr Mashiter's house.
See "Henry Judd" for more information.